Hello
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hello

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello

Hi! I'm a new member to the group, but not a new opel owner. I bought my 71 GT in 1978 right out of high shcool. It has been garaged for over ten years, and I finally have a little money to start restoring it. I'm sure I'll have many questions. Please excuse any "stupid" questions as I learn.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I think on the portal to this site there should be two links, one that says "enter" and the other that says "how to stuff a V8 In your GT" and that page would entail all the reasons not to do it!
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok..you asked for it.

About 6 months ago, I started the little yellow car up. So far I've installed a new weber carb (took out the old Solex), new fuel lines, new head light wiring harness, new fuel pump (manual), new plugs and wires, new upper/lower "A" frames, polyurthane bushings, brakes, exhaust, electronic ignition and got it tuned with a compression check. It is running nicely with about 130lbs in each cylinder. So the engine is tired but not shot.

The body has some rust (cancer....ugh) that I was going to have removed and the body squared away. The question is which way should I go first? Clean up the body and drive it till the engine dies, or go for the 2.4L engine and 5 speed getrag from OGTS first then do the body? The problem is not enough money for it all right now. I'm leaning toward the body first since the engine isn't dead yet, although HP would be nice it is hard for me to justidy right now.

What is your oppinion? Is there anything I can do with the stock engine now that will give me a little more zip till I have money for the bigger engine.

If only I could just hit that Loto!

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I say do engine and 5-speed.. unless body is realy messed up. That HP and 5th gear make it a lot nicer to drive, and that's what you are gonna notice, you can't see much more then the hood when you're driving.

Downloads
    Uploads
    NO NO NO
    I say fix the body first. Problems of rust only compound over time, stop the body damage before it spreads to far! Plus the average opel admirer will notice the body problems before they notice the cool 2.4L under the hood, but even then the 2.4L looks exactly the same as the 1.9L!

The getrag is nice.....I used to have one in my car, but it is really only usefull on the highway, and to me the cost($1300) of the trans wasent justified. I don't think that I would put the getrag in another GT unless I was doing a 2.4L conversion.....and going all out, or if I had the money and my four speed died. But still they are expensive.

just my $0.02
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. I figured oppions would be mixed, but with the engine and tran still intact and running I think it's the body work first for me. I've found a nice body shop in San Juan Capistrano, Ca that specializes in restoring old cars. And more importantly they have dealt with the removal of rust from many different cars. I ordered a body kit from Gill at OGTS to make it "Pretty" and give it a little more agressive look. Too bad what's under the hood is a little putt-putt....=)

I will work with all of you over time to fix that though. The only problem is finding someone to do that engine and tranny swap. I'm not enough of a motor head or have the needed equipment to do that on my own. Anyway, thanks for responding. Your advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated. Is there a place to post before and after pictures? Just curious.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Michelle
    Is there a place to post before and after pictures? Just curious.
    Just go to the Opel Photo Gallery on this site and click on "Upload Photos" to create your own album.

Thread Information