Greetings from Memphis
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Greetings from Memphis

Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings from Memphis

Hello everyone,
    My name is Shane and I own a 1972 GT with 77,000 miles. My GT has been somewhat modified in that it has side skirts, fiberglass bellypan with air dam, supra style spoiler, clear lenses all the way around , matching front/rear german tags and a bunch of other stuff too many to name. It has certainly been an experience with this car as it has tested my patience, religion , finances, and my physical ability as well (climbing in the back end to work on the gas tank and to find the countless dropped wrenches and bolts). Well needless to say it was not in this shape when I bought it but I got really lucky, I just did some minor stuff to the engine and she started right up after 15 years of sitting around. The body I was not so lucky with as tree branch had fallen across the back and dented it up somewhat. Now I'm just waiting for new paint and rims and she will be ready to travel. All in all, though it has been worthwhile, especially when a bunch of kids pull up beside and ask what is it and what a cool car it is. There arent many of us out there and we should do everything we can to promote the brand and generate interest in the Opels. I also wanted to say if there are any fellow Opelers here in the Mid-South it would be good to hear from you. Well bye for now.

Happy Opeling to everyone

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shane,

Re:
    climbing in the back end to work on the gas tank and to find the countless dropped wrenches and bolts
    I can relate to this.. After winter storage a few years ago.. and opening the garage door, discovered that the gas tank had emptied itself through several pinholes that formed at the low point of the tank near the fuel outlet...Flashback to high school shop teacher advice (It's just a little flame.. nothing to worry about..) Anyone who has had to remove the gas tank in a GT probably:
    (1) wished the car had a opening trunk lid.
    (2) or wished the tank was mounted under the car.
    (3) or pondered over the how the tank mounts are inches away from the internal bumper supports!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello I'm on the other end of Tennessee in Morgan County. I think a heater core ranks up there with the gas tank. LOL!!! Hope to hear from you more.
    Corvette is a rich mans Opel GT.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah well I took a Yoga class for 6 months before rebuilding my gas tank and it payed off. I am 6'4" and 300 lbs. ever see a fat guy in speedos that's what it looks like when I drive the Opel.

Ritter
    Sorry for the lack of picture I know ya'll want one!!!

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads

A Canadian's Guide to Removing the Gas Tank and Heater Core

How can you all be saying how hard it is to work on the gas tank or heater core. In both cases, the answer is the same. Remove the glass!

OK, it's a bit more complicated than that. But I have found that it is much easier to remove and re-install the dash when the front windshield is out of the way. Those nasty top screws are almost impossible to remove with the windshield in place, and ARE impossible to replace unless the windshield is out. Now, don't take the task of removing the windshield lightly, as it is easily damaged, and VERY expensive to replace. But if you happen to have the glass out for some reason, take the opportunity to ensure your heater core and blower fan are in top working order.

As for the gas tank, once the rear glass is removed, (which I found easier than the windshield), it is a simple task to drill out the pop rivets that hold the luggage shelf in place. Of course you still have to remove the spare tire shelf. Then, the tank and associated vent hoses are much easier to work on. Unless you are 6'4'' and 300 lbs, of course!
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Thread Information