New guy in Georgia
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New guy in Georgia

Downloads
    Uploads

New guy in Georgia

Hi!
    I just bought 2 GT's and will start a project to restore one.
    If there are any members in Georgia, drop me a line.....
    I spent 9 years in Germany and have friends in Opel clubs.
    Alan

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Guy in Georgia

Now you sound like a guy I could wish for as a next-door neighbour. Comes complete with a GT parts car, has contacts in Germany so can arrange to have obscure Opel parts bought and sent (used Getrags!), and is retired so has lots of time to come over and play on our cars. You don't happen to have a triple-car garage and a four-post lift, do you? Or feel compelled to leave that wet climate of Georgia for a nice dry place like Calgary?

Hey, welcome to the group. It sounds like you have "It" bad. Two Opels right off! Even Katheryn (the Crazy Opel Lady of Leduc) only started with one. And she now has FIVE!!! So be careful, these things have a way of multiplying. Good luck with your GT's. If you get a chance, we would all love to see pictures as you progress. And don't hesitate to ask lots of questions, and especially answer those that you learn the answer to along the way.
    Last edited by kwilford; 12-28-2002 at 11:12 AM.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the form.
    Corvette is a rich mans Opel GT.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do have a few contacts, but while at Rametein, Sembach and Hahn, I did not see many GT's in the salvage yard. or on the road. I had a fastback Kadett and my X mother in law had a Kadett Aero (she bought it new).....I can find Manta parts and such but GT parts, thats something else. The 5 speed transmissions are very hard to come by, but a friend that is in a club told me that he could find one for about $700. Parts in Germany are expensive although high performance parts are pretty easy to come by. so it is a matter of having the best of one thing and the worst of another. I have seen places on the net based in the states that have really good prices, so I don't doubt that most of the replacement parts I buy will be from here.
    Alan

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you know some folks in Germany who can help you out, there are often very interesting things that come up on German ebay:

http://www.ebaymotors.de

Just do a a search for "Opel GT", or "Getrag", and neat stuff comes up. There are often Getrag 240's (from the Manta "B" I believe) in what looks to be decent shape for less than 200 Euros. The shipping might be tricky, but certainly easier if you have someone to help expedite it.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Thread Information