OE Kadett Tyres
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dmcbrass
  • 1 Post By SpringGT

Thread: OE Kadett Tyres

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

OE Kadett Tyres

Hi

do you know what tyres were OE on a Kadett

And what are you guys fitting?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
    Hi

And what are you guys fitting?
    Depends on the engine. The 1.9s had 165r13s. The 1.1s had 155r13.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmcbrass View Post
    Depends on the engine. The 1.9s had 165r13s. The 1.1s had 155r13.
    i mean what brand and tread pattern?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recall from my days as a make-ready mechanic in a Buick dealership that no one manufacturer was standard. We had customers that either had a preference for one brand or another, or a bias against the brand that was on the car, and requested the tires be changed. That would send us out into the lot looking for a car with the sought-after tires and we would switch the tires (occasionally forgetting to swap the spare). This of course is illegal in today's world. This happened more often with the Buicks, but we would occasionally see it with an Opel.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    are you guys fitting Michelin XAS

or do you fit 175/70R13 or 185/70R13?

is anyone fitting Pirelli Cinturato? https://www.lucasclassictires.com/18...857013CN36.htm

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the Kadett came with bias-ply tires. Likely 165-13. The 185/70-13 would be your best bet as they fit the rims you have. The XAS looks pricey so would you really be able to push them to justify getting them over a lower performing option? Some have gotten the CN36 https://www.opelgt.com/forums/genera...n36-tires.html tires, but again they come at a price. As a friend and I discussed this weekend, you can't drive like we used to which was often at 8-9/10ths. Tires made a big difference. Today I look for quiet and low rolling resistance.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Kadett came with a Uniroyal in an odd ball metric size, that doesn’t come up even with Coker tire and reproduction tire mold companies. I have saved as many spares as I can. Didn’t matter 1.1 or 1.9, but Rallye model would have received a larger steel belted radial. There were a couple of variances. They were a 6,15-13/155-13. So today’s standard is the 155/80r13, and a GT was a 6,45-13/165-13 in a Dunlop. One of the Uniroyal tires states Uniroyal Englebert and the other just Uniroyal. All state 4 ply Rayon. I’m not 100% on the GT tire being a factory tire or not.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    The Kadett came with a Uniroyal in an odd ball metric size, that doesn’t come up even with Coker tire and reproduction tire mold companies. I have saved as many spares as I can. Didn’t matter 1.1 or 1.9, but Rallye model would have received a larger steel belted radial. There were a couple of variances. They were a 6,15-13/155-13. So today’s standard is the 155/80r13, and a GT was a 6,45-13/165-13 in a Dunlop. One of the Uniroyal tires states Uniroyal Englebert and the other just Uniroyal. All state 4 ply Rayon. I’m not 100% on the GT tire being a factory tire or not.
    My 1970 GT has an original spare that is a uniroyal 165R13. Never been on the car.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This would mean you would want a 175/70-13 to keep the speedo correct.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a 175/70R 13 is a low profile version of a 155R13

a 185/70R13 is a low profile version of a 165R13

there is a plan next year for Pirelli to make some period 155R13 and 165R13 tyres.

in the mean time i think the best full profile tyres for for you guys are the Michelin XAS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vD_ja3addM

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You didn’t really state what you have or what you wanted. Yes those tires are a lower profile and a lot wider too. I’ve put 205/60r13 on a Kadett Rallye rim and fit nice.
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads

there is a plan next year for Pirelli to make some period 155R13 and 165R13 tyres.

in the mean time i think the best full profile tyres for for you guys are the Michelin XAS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vD_ja3addM
    Here are a few pictures of the spare tire and wheel from my 1973 GT. It is a Dunlop 165R13 and is still in pretty good shape. It was never a good handling or wearing tire and by the time I had the car for a year or so, I dumped the Dunlops and installed Michelin XAS tires. I loved the XAS tires and still have them mounted on the rims in the attic. Kept the unused Dunlop for a spare only.
    When I was in the Army in Germany, there was a huge Dunlop tire factory in Hanau, near Frankfurt and it would have been very handy to the Opel plant. That may be why you see so many Dunlops on Opels; they were made in Germany and fairly close to the Opel Factory. So to Opel, maybe the Dunlop's were just like Jim Varney's neighbor's wife, hot, fast and cheap! https://www.google.com/search?channe...HcWGsQX67qCYCA
    Last edited by SpringGT; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:01 PM.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You didn’t really state what you have or what you wanted. Yes those tires are a lower profile and a lot wider too. I’ve put 205/60r13 on a Kadett Rallye rim and fit nice.
    How wide are Kadett rims. Those tires require a minimum of 5.5” rim width.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are two widths according to my Kadett/Olympia owners manual, 4-1/2J 13 and 5J 13. The narrower wheel is probably for the disc braked ohv.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same width as a GT rim. That’s exactly what a Rallye wheel is, a 1972 Opel GT wheel without the center cap clips unless you count the 1970 rim. I’ve put 205/60r13s on them all the time
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodåren View Post
    There are two widths according to my Kadett/Olympia owners manual, 4-1/2J 13 and 5J 13. The narrower wheel is probably for the disc braked ohv.
    That’s what I thought. You can mount wide tires on narrow rims but it affects their performance. It can also cause rim failure on some wheel designs.

The best scenario is to pick a tire where the wheel width is in the center of the tire’s range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a chart with allowable tire widths vs wheel widths. First column to the left is wheel width in inches, second column is minimum tire width in mm's, third column is recommended tire widths in mm's, fourth column is maximum tire width in mm's.
    https://www.1001renkaat.com/neuvoja-...nsopivuus-auto

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I run this size and my speedo is way out by 5 mph.
    68 mph on speedo is 63 on my GPS

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi
    The Kadett came with a Uniroyal in an odd ball metric size...They were a 6,15-13/155-13. So today’s standard is the 155/80r13...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I run this size and my speedo is way out by 5 mph.
    68 mph on speedo is 63 on my GPS
    Vincent, the OP asked about tires for a Kadett, which were typically smaller than on a GT. The correct "modern" (well, not quite modern!) tire for a GT would be a 185/70-13. Your 175/70-13 tires are a tad small
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same width as a GT rim. That’s exactly what a Rallye wheel is, a 1972 Opel GT wheel without the center cap clips unless you count the 1970 rim. I’ve put 205/60r13s on them all the time
    it must be horrible to drive on a 205/60r13

is it a race car

Thread Information