Opel GT Forum banner

Re-doing Manta A vinyl seats

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BQS4 
#1 ·
I will be having my 1974 Manta A's front seats redone and recovered in the Mercedes perforated vinyl which seems to be a pretty close match to the Opel vinyl. Has anyone had this done and what did you end up paying for the job? (Front seats only- the back seat is in good shape and I will have it dyed black to match the fronts-the shop assured me the dye job will be as nice as a recover would be, at a fraction of the cost.)
If the shop (which does great work- they did the headliner and seats on my GT) were to give a volume price for a quantity of covers to be done, would anyone be interested in having covers made up (or does anyone know a source already where the covers can be purchased, similar to how you can get the GT's covers thru OGTS).
I did find a site on line where you can buy the hand sewn and fitted Manta loop style carpeting at $350.
My Manta was originally Rallye Gold which I will be taking back to the original color (plus flat black hood and stripes) and will re-do the seats to black from the beige/ gold color they are now.

#2 ·
I am looking at having my front seats redone at a local shop in Philly with a good reputation for original restoration. My seat covers are rip free and solid and I'd like to keep them. It's the foam and burlap that needs replacing. Plus, I definitely want to keep the the tan-colored seats. But I'd be interested in what you find out.

Jim

#3 ·
done this twice since 1977 and the cost was between 2/400 $$ for both front and back. the first time I had fabric inserts put in for the seat areas and the second time I had new covers made. The seat rebuild part is what cost the most money as the burlap falls apart letting the seat foam get sliced by the steel frame and springs. carpet makes a good replace ment for the burlap and mgb seat inserts make for new foam and can be trimmed to fit. The most cost effective upgrade is to replace the seats from a newer car and modify to fit. Ron

#6 ·
You can get Recaro adaptors off the German Ebay , but, that can get very expensive. As Tony said, CORBEAU makes a set of mounts for the Manta/Ascona that you can put their seats on or adapt other types of seats. I found a way using the the stock Manta/Ascona seat frame, two welds and a little grinding, and you have a set of seat mounts for most any kind of seat, and the best part, the adaptors were free.I did mine, and mounted a set of KRX model Recaros in my other Sportwagon. The best part is, they can be removed and installed just like stock seats, in minutes!:D

#5 ·
I don't know of any seats that don't require you to make brakets for but I can tell you that Corbeu makes some amazing brakets that you can use to mount their seats and maybe other aftermarket seats. It is possible to use a set of old seat frames to mount just about any seat with a few modifications. My uncle, BQS4 has done it before and I need to have him do a set for my GTE Recaros.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.