Ascona B conversion to 5-stud
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ascona B conversion to 5-stud

Downloads
    Uploads

Ascona B conversion to 5-stud

Hallo to all! Does anyone know how can we convert the ascona b to 5-stud? As I already know, except from the 400 parts (which are very rare and expensive), we can use the parts from opell commodore b in front. But what about the rear axle? Does anyone know any possible conversions, not by using adaptors?
    Thanks a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCONA-HOLIC View Post
    Hallo to all! Does anyone know how can we convert the ascona b to 5-stud? As I already know, except from the 400 parts (which are very rare and expensive), we can use the parts from opell commodore b in front. But what about the rear axle? Does anyone know any possible conversions, not by using adaptors?
    Thanks a lot!
    I don't know much about the various models we didn't get here in the US, but, you can look at this member's photo album, he's in the UK. He did the conversion on a Manta A, I don't know how well this translates to the Ascona B, but, it's a start....
    paul1393 Gallery - Opel Photo Gallery
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks a lot!
    Actually, the "400 parts" are from the Commodore B GS/E and while they're fairly rare the regular non GS/E parts will work as well, the biggest difference being drum vs disc brakes at the rear

The rear axle will fit but it takes a bit of work as it's a 4 link setup so make sure you get all the control arms and if possible the brackets to mount them to the chassis, don't forget the prop/drive shaft either as the rear axle uses a totally different system

It's my understanding that you don't actually *need* the whole rear axle as the half shafts can be modified to fit a standard Ascona/Manta housing but I've never actually spoken in person to anyone who has done this so take that info for what it's worth

If you know anyone in Romania they actually made a pick-up version of the Kadett C which used 5 studs and I have spoken to one person who used a rear axle from one of those on his Ascona. He wanted to run wider rear wheels without flared fenders and the narrower track suited him fine
    "I hate RallyBob"

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    I don't know much about the various models we didn't get here in the US, but, you can look at this member's photo album, he's in the UK. He did the conversion on a Manta A, I don't know how well this translates to the Ascona B, but, it's a start....
    paul1393 Gallery - Opel Photo Gallery
    If I remember correctly it translates quite well so it's a very good start if you ask me , the rear axle is pretty much identical between the two except for the track width and you can bolt Ascona B brakes straight onto an Ascona A, depending on the wheel offset you may have to grind off a wee bit of material from the calipers
    "I hate RallyBob"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the replies guys. So, the matter is where to find a Commodore B GS/E in order to use its parts. Can anyone help?

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the replies guys. So, the matter is where to find a Commodore B GS/E in order to use its parts. Can anyone help?
    If there are any of the GS/E's here, they are VERY few and far between. You're better off looking around Europe. The US wasn't a market for these cars.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a GS/E set in my basement (in the US), but that's exactly where it will stay for now ... sorry, couldn't resist.

Dieter

Downloads
    Uploads
    The GS 2.8 from March 1976 on had these rear axles as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by heimue View Post
    I have a GS/E set in my basement (in the US), but that's exactly where it will stay for now ... sorry, couldn't resist.

Dieter
    Really? You just killed me now

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GS2.8 View Post
    The GS 2.8 from March 1976 on had these rear axles as well.
    You mean that you have a rear axle from a Commodore B GS/E 2.8? I want it!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, I got the A-model GS 2.8 from 1971 that came with drums in the rear but this one has the rare LSD and there's also a complete car attached to it.
    LOL
    What I meant is you can look also for GS2.8 B-model parts/parts cars with dual carbs, they used that axle as well from 1976 on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GS2.8; 07-28-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GS2.8 View Post
    Nope, I got the A-model GS 2.8 from 1971 that came with drums in the rear but this one has the rare LSD and there's also a complete car attached to it.
    LOL
    What I meant is you can look also for GS2.8 B-model parts/parts cars with dual carbs, they used that axle as well from 1976 on.
    The A-model that you have is also 5-stud? I do not really care if the rear axle is with drums or discs, this is a matter that is going to be solved afterwards (and I have already some solutions). I am searching for the parts from a Commodore B but it is really hard to find. I would be grateful to anyone who can help.

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The A-model that you have is also 5-stud? I do not really care if the rear axle is with drums or discs, this is a matter that is going to be solved afterwards (and I have already some solutions). I am searching for the parts from a Commodore B but it is really hard to find. I would be grateful to anyone who can help.
    This site is primarily made up of people from the US and the Commodore was never officially sold over there so you'll have much better chance of getting help to find parts on a "European" board

Commodore parts do show up on e-bay from time to time, my guess is that you will end up having to buy a donor car, I wouldn't think rusty 4 door "non GS/E" Commodores to be too expensive in Germany or the UK
    "I hate RallyBob"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    This site is primarily made up of people from the US and the Commodore was never officially sold over there so you'll have much better chance of getting help to find parts on a "European" board

Commodore parts do show up on e-bay from time to time, my guess is that you will end up having to buy a donor car, I wouldn't think rusty 4 door "non GS/E" Commodores to be too expensive in Germany or the UK
    I think you are right. However, I like writing in here and I think I can get lot of help from this forum!

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i live in the northern part of the uk and nont think i have ever seen a commodore A
    the B i have seen 2 off

the south of the country may have had more but i doubt it was many of them
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    i live in the northern part of the uk and nont think i have ever seen a commodore A
    the B i have seen 2 off

the south of the country may have had more but i doubt it was many of them
    Yeah, I forgot that you guys had the Vauxhall Victor/Ventora (sp), friend of mine had a 3.3 back in the day and while it didn't handle all too well it was pretty quick in a straight line for a car of that age
    "I hate RallyBob"

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you are right. However, I like writing in here and I think I can get lot of help from this forum!
    Yes you can, friendly atmosphere and a lot of very knowledgeable people who are only too happy to share info
    Gary likes this.
    "I hate RallyBob"

Downloads
    Uploads
    This guy in UK has had conversion kits made for your job, although they do not seem to be on his website. Worth dropping him an e-mail though.
    TJ Motorsport, Performance Parts, Motorsport Parts. Road, Race and Rally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakevf View Post
    This guy in UK has had conversion kits made for your job, although they do not seem to be on his website. Worth dropping him an e-mail though.
    TJ Motorsport, Performance Parts, Motorsport Parts. Road, Race and Rally.
    Thanks a lot! Can you also please give me his email, because I can not open it and find his address (I do not know why, probably my PC problem). Thanks a lot!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does any one know if the half-axis of commodore B fit to the axle of commodore A?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information