Looking for a Opel Manta B
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ohiocymru
  • 1 Post By G.v.Mainberg
  • 2 Post By ggl
  • 2 Post By clarkey

Thread: Looking for a Opel Manta B

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for a Opel Manta B

Hi guys. I've been a Opel Manta A Owner for the past 3 years now and have acquired a parts car and possibly a third engine. I have a running and registered 1974 Opel Manta A Automatic and a 1975 Opel Manta A 4 Speed parts car with a fuel injected engine. I also have access to a third 1975 Fuel Injected Engine already pulled from a car. I've been looking to own a Opel for a long time and do a resto project in Memory of my Father. So, I got the closest thing to an Opel Manta B available to me at the time. Now though, I think I want to pursue tracking down an Actual Manta B for restoration. I would be more than willing to trade Both the Manta As and the third engine for a Manta B. Specifically I was looking for a 1983 Opel Manta B G/TE(Manta Manta Opel) but I'm not sure if any ever made it to the states. I have plenty of family in Germany that could get me parts that may be unavailable here in the states so I think I have that covered. If any of you have one to sell or are looking to trade I would be more than ecstatic. I understand finding one close to me in Montana is highly unlikely but I do have family in California and Ohio. Of course if there are any owners in Canada that are close to me that would work too. Thank you for your time.
    Genemak1 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recall seeing this one for sale last year. Not sure where it landed.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If I was looking for a Manta B, I would not even consider to start looking in the States. You need to find one in Germany / rest of Europe, and bring it over.

Autoscout24.de Manta

Mobile.de Manta

Dieter

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem with the Manta B is that the good ones are getting kinda expensive, expect to pay 10k dollars for a nice later model GT/E or GSi and those are the ones you want with the LE fuel injected engine, 5 speed tranny, LSD and Recaro interior

I'm offloading some of my Opel stash that I know for certain that I'll never use and a very decent Recaro interior, front + rear seats + door cards + roof liner etc will probably go for 1k, that's how much people pay for these things now

These cars are getting collectible and they rust, hence the premium you have to pay for a good one, or good parts

The good news is that the best ones, factory stock ones at least, which in my opinion are the 85-88, are now more than 25 years old so you guys can import them without too much hassle. Provided you don't live in California of course

Here's a couple of pics of my 86 taken in 95, the year after these pics were taken it got to visit the Mantzel shop in Germany for an upgrade .....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GoinManta and opelgtguy like this.
    "I hate RallyBob"

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by heimue View Post
    If I was looking for a Manta B, I would not even consider to start looking in the States. You need to find one in Germany / rest of Europe, and bring it over.

Autoscout24.de Manta

Mobile.de Manta

Dieter
    I want to thank you all for your responses. Dieter, have you imported from Germany before? If so how bad were the logistics? Cost? Shipping Co.? Port to ship from? I could probably have my uncle or cousin track a decent G/TE or GSi down for me but if the shipping costs are astronomical then it might have to sit in Germany for a while.

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually shipping from Europe can often be less expensive than shipping from the US Coast to coast.

I believe last I priced it was in the $1200-$2000 range.

In the next few years I plan on bringing back a Calibra, once the 25 year period is over.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiocymru View Post
    I want to thank you all for your responses. Dieter, have you imported from Germany before? If so how bad were the logistics? Cost? Shipping Co.? Port to ship from? I could probably have my uncle or cousin track a decent G/TE or GSi down for me but if the shipping costs are astronomical then it might have to sit in Germany for a while.
    My last one was brought over door-to-door, for a total cost of just below US$ 3,000. Call CFR Rinkens, here is the direct line of Eike (pronounced somewhat like "Ai-k"), he is Belgian but speaks fluent English and German as well. (310) 294-8480.
    I can completely recommend this company from my own experience.

Dieter

Real Name
    James Clarke
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a 400 replica for sale in Ireland at the min running a 3.0 24v straight six. Steering on wrong side though.

opel manta gte exclusive 400RÂ*For Sale in Donegal : €8,000 - DoneDeal.ie

Last edited by clarkey; 03-29-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: More detail.
    Gary and opelnut_1 like this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dieter, all in all $3000 door to door wouldn't be too bad. Since I will most likely end up buying one to rebuild my way from the ground up, can I have the car full of parts when I ship it? Would save me a ton in shipping a lot of the parts separate. Clarkey thanks for the info on the i400 replica but I'm more looking for something I can build the way I want to instead of a pre-built car. Last I checked Irmscher still sells the body kit I want as well as a few other things so I would be ordering those as well. Again I would like to Thank all of you who have responded to my thread. I am so glad to have found this site and appreciate all the help I have received from everyone on here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your car is inside a container (like in this 3,000 $ option) you can fill it with parts, and you might be able to negotiate additional boxes (maybe for some additional handling fees).
    If you would chose to have a car shipped Ro-Ro (not in a container), you can not have anything loose in your car.
    Basic explanation: When you have a container, the container is the "packaging", and whatever fits in it is the shipping goods (if properly declared to Customs). If shipping Ro-Ro, you are only shipping "a car".
    In any way: Make sure that the original drive train is in the car. Don't ever ask how I know...

Dieter

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by heimue View Post
    If your car is inside a container (like in this 3,000 $ option) you can fill it with parts, and you might be able to negotiate additional boxes (maybe for some additional handling fees).
    If you would chose to have a car shipped Ro-Ro (not in a container), you can not have anything loose in your car.
    Basic explanation: When you have a container, the container is the "packaging", and whatever fits in it is the shipping goods (if properly declared to Customs). If shipping Ro-Ro, you are only shipping "a car".
    ...and boy are they strict about those rules !

When I shipped the TR6 over to Europe last year there was a Tonneau cover in the trunk as well as the cover for the cab in the folded down position and the shipping people wanted to throw it out and these were color matched to the interior too. Fortunately the truck driver who picked up my car and delivered it at the docks knew what they were and managed to convince them to leave it in as it was "part of the car" and that any roadster driving down the road would have these items in the trunk
    "I hate RallyBob"

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ive got a 78 opel ascona b 2 door i believe the only one in the states I might be interested in parting with.alot of the manta b parts are the same as ascona except exterior body panels. Ive got a **** load of parts doors glass engines trans rims relays dash ect.
    im in goldsboro north carolina

I'd be interested in pics of your Ascona B as I owned one about 15 years ago before I emigrated to NZ. Presume yours is left hand drive?

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes its lhd. i have owned it since 2000. it has been in a garage before I brought it to the states and after. the 1st owner(I have paperwork) was 78 years old when he bought the car in 1979 and 97 years old when he sold it in 1997. There was one other owner after him than I got it. I have done alot of mods, but no cutting of the body ect. I do have original engine, but trans was missing. where are you located. Email me directly at [email protected]

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another great shipping co. is: E. H. Harms, I used them back in 1984 to bring over a Benz. Logistically they can cover everything shipping realated. Their Address is Main - Ehharms USA - Ehharms USA

Thread Information