Manta and 1900 VIN / data tag differences - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Manta and 1900 VIN / data tag differences

  1. #21
    Opel Rallier since 1977
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Afton VA
    Posts
    470
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Just more one possible pattern to toss in there..... My '75 1900 was initially sold in WA state. Oliper reports no digits difference and he is in San Francisco. So those are 3 west coast cars with no digit difference in the different tags. (My '72 Manta was initially sold in Germany so is not a US/Buick imported car.)

    Now switch to the cars with the single digit difference: All are owned on the east coast. IIRC, from my waaaaay-in-past recollections, the eastern port of entry for these Opels was Baltimore. I dunno where they came in for the West Coast but it was not through Baltimore. It may be that the east coast cars came from one factory and the west coast cars from a different factory....????

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Opel Key Master opelspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,659
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Nope, the 75 I referenced was sold new in Oakland, CA and had a catalytic converter. The current one is different though, my digit is an 8, the vin stamped in the cowl sheetmetal has an 8. And then the VIN pillar tag has the 9, in which the title matches. This was a one owner car, and with the other examples I have on hand, it’s off by that number
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

  4. #23
    Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA - USA
    Posts
    3,815
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Manta Rallier View Post
    I suppose station wagons have D-pillars (?)......LOL)
    That is in fact correct.

    Dieter

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #24
    Opel Rallier since 1977
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Afton VA
    Posts
    470
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    Nope, the 75 I referenced was sold new in Oakland, CA and had a catalytic converter. The current one is different though, my digit is an 8, the vin stamped in the cowl sheetmetal has an 8. And then the VIN pillar tag has the 9, in which the title matches. This was a one owner car, and with the other examples I have on hand, it’s off by that number
    OK another perfectly good theory blown to bits LOL. So now to see what that '#8' plant is....

  7. #25
    Member Mitch Manta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rockville, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    153
    Real Name
    Mitchell Shapiro
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    1974 Manta

    It's been a few years, but when Rainer looked at my car at Carlisle, he pointed out a discrepancy to me. I don't remember exactly, but one of the labels disagreed with the other. He was not shocked or anything.

  8. #26
    Opeler Rainer Manthey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    284
    Real Name
    Rainer Manthey
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    First I agree with Dieter with a few exceptions (Manta only):

    Until the end of July 1974, all Opel VIN numbers were 9 digits (example: 57 9 123456)
    01 - 02: Model code (57 = US Opel 1900 Coupé or later Manta)
    03: Assembly plant: 2 = Bochum (06-1970 until 09-1972), 3 = Bochum (10-1972 until 08-1973), 3 = Rüsselsheim (09-1973 until 07-1974), 4 = Rüsselsheim (06-1970 only and 09-1973 until 07-1974), 9 = Antwerpen II (6-1970 until mid 05-1973), 8 = Antwerpen II (mid 05-1973 until 07-1974)
    04 - 09: Sequential body number (6 digits)
    All VINs between 06-1970 and 07-1971 were stamped identical on the identification plate, on the cowl in front of the windshield, on the A-pillar tag and on the door sticker.

    But (!) the model code for US Mantas (and all other Opels for the US) changed in 08-1971 (example: OL 77 NC 9 123456) O = GM division code for Opel, L = GM model code for Opel 1900 Coupé and later Manta, 77 = GM body style code for coupé 2-door hatchback, N = GM engine code for a line 4 engine with a displacement of more than 115 cubic inch and more than 75 bhp, C = GM model year code for 1973. This special US code was stamped from 08-1971 until 07-1975 on the A-pillar tag and on the door sticker. That explains the difference between the VINs in the engine bay and the ones inside the car.

    From August 1974 (until 1982) all Opel VIN numbers were 10 digits (example 57 55 123456):
    01 - 02: Model code (57 = US Manta)
    03: Model year (5 = model year 1975 which lasts from August 1st 1974 until July 31st 1975)
    04: Assembly plant: 1 = Rüsselsheim (08-1974 until 05-1975), 3 = Bochum (no Ascona-/Manta-A in production between 09-1973 and 07-1975), 5 = Antwerpen II (08-1974 until 07-1975)
    05 - 10: Sequential body number (6 digits)
    This special US code (see above) was stamped from 08-1974 until 07-1975 on the A-pillar tag and on the door sticker.

    Have fun!

    Rainer
    Manta Rallier likes this.
    For more information visit our site:
    www.manta-a-online.de

  9. #27
    4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany/Bremen
    Posts
    4,121
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Boah ey
    Ich versteh nur Bahnhof! Ganz ehrlich gesagt.
    Aber der Manta war ja schon immer Traumwagen,dann les ich das sehr gerne nochmal

    Norbert
    oliper likes this.

  10. #28
    Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA - USA
    Posts
    3,815
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    Boah ey
    Ich versteh nur Bahnhof! Ganz ehrlich gesagt.
    Aber der Manta war ja schon immer Traumwagen,dann les ich das sehr gerne nochmal

    Norbert
    Auf Gleis OL77 faehrt ein der Manta Express aus Bochum. Zuruecktreten von der Bahnsteigkante! Tuut tuut!

    Dieter

  11. #29
    Opeler oliper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    73
    Real Name
    Oliver
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Now here's some extra fun: I always thought the VIN starts with the letter O, so OL......

    When I moved to Michigan the guy at the DMV pulled out a super old school booklet with all the Vintage VIN numbers/models. He then titled both my Mantas with VIN numbers starting with the number zero, so 0L....

    I thought he made a mistake but it turned out that's what he had in his book and when I looked at both my Mantas original titles (one from Texas, the other from California) they indeed start with the number 0 rather than letter O.

    When I look at the door stickers the number zero versus letter O are almost indistinguishable.

    I wonder if the titles were in some or all cases issued incorrectly. I have no idea what the initial process was when they first titled the cars here in the US.

  12. #30
    Moderator Site Supporter neuropel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Pottstown, PA
    Posts
    2,427
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Well, at least it's not confusing!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer Manthey View Post
    First I agree with Dieter with a few exceptions (Manta only):

    Until the end of July 1974, all Opel VIN numbers were 9 digits (example: 57 9 123456)
    01 - 02: Model code (57 = US Opel 1900 Coupé or later Manta)
    03: Assembly plant: 2 = Bochum (06-1970 until 09-1972), 3 = Bochum (10-1972 until 08-1973), 3 = Rüsselsheim (09-1973 until 07-1974), 4 = Rüsselsheim (06-1970 only and 09-1973 until 07-1974), 9 = Antwerpen II (6-1970 until mid 05-1973), 8 = Antwerpen II (mid 05-1973 until 07-1974)
    04 - 09: Sequential body number (6 digits)
    All VINs between 06-1970 and 07-1971 were stamped identical on the identification plate, on the cowl in front of the windshield, on the A-pillar tag and on the door sticker.

    But (!) the model code for US Mantas (and all other Opels for the US) changed in 08-1971 (example: OL 77 NC 9 123456) O = GM division code for Opel, L = GM model code for Opel 1900 Coupé and later Manta, 77 = GM body style code for coupé 2-door hatchback, N = GM engine code for a line 4 engine with a displacement of more than 115 cubic inch and more than 75 bhp, C = GM model year code for 1973. This special US code was stamped from 08-1971 until 07-1975 on the A-pillar tag and on the door sticker. That explains the difference between the VINs in the engine bay and the ones inside the car.

    From August 1974 (until 1982) all Opel VIN numbers were 10 digits (example 57 55 123456):
    01 - 02: Model code (57 = US Manta)
    03: Model year (5 = model year 1975 which lasts from August 1st 1974 until July 31st 1975)
    04: Assembly plant: 1 = Rüsselsheim (08-1974 until 05-1975), 3 = Bochum (no Ascona-/Manta-A in production between 09-1973 and 07-1975), 5 = Antwerpen II (08-1974 until 07-1975)
    05 - 10: Sequential body number (6 digits)
    This special US code (see above) was stamped from 08-1974 until 07-1975 on the A-pillar tag and on the door sticker.

    Have fun!

    Rainer
    Manta Rallier likes this.
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    ________________
    1972 GT 2.4L
    1974 Manta GT/E 2.0 LHU
    1973 Manta Rallye 2.5L
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

  13. #31
    Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA - USA
    Posts
    3,815
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oliper View Post
    Now here's some extra fun: I always thought the VIN starts with the letter O, so OL......

    When I moved to Michigan the guy at the DMV pulled out a super old school booklet with all the Vintage VIN numbers/models. He then titled both my Mantas with VIN numbers starting with the number zero, so 0L....

    I thought he made a mistake but it turned out that's what he had in his book and when I looked at both my Mantas original titles (one from Texas, the other from California) they indeed start with the number 0 rather than letter O.

    When I look at the door stickers the number zero versus letter O are almost indistinguishable.

    I wonder if the titles were in some or all cases issued incorrectly. I have no idea what the initial process was when they first titled the cars here in the US.
    When I titled my first later model gray import Opel from Germany, I typed in the first three digits "WOL..." in my title application ("WOL" means manufacturer Opel in the 17-digit number). The lady changed it to "W0L..." and told me that there cannot be any letter "O" in a US VIN number. I told her that she is kind'a falsifying my VIN number, but all she asked me was "Now do you want that title or not?". Ever since, I know ...

    Dieter

  14. #32
    1000 Post Club kwschumm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,799
    Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by G.v.Mainberg View Post
    When I titled my first later model gray import Opel from Germany, I typed in the first three digits "WOL..." in my title application ("WOL" means manufacturer Opel in the 17-digit number). The lady changed it to "W0L..." and told me that there cannot be any letter "O" in a US VIN number. I told her that she is kind'a falsifying my VIN number, but all she asked me was "Now do you want that title or not?". Ever since, I know ...

    Dieter
    Number vs. letter ambiguity is a problem in data systems, which is probably why U.S. doesn't want the letter O in VINs. By assuming all Os are 0s they will all agree with the result. Others that are less of a problem are B and 8, Z and 2, etc. Using a slashed 0 would be better but apparently they didn't think of that.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

  15. #33
    Opeler opelgtboy70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,118
    Real Name
    Karl Senula
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Here are my numbers. These are from 1974.

    Karl

  16. #34
    Opeler Rainer Manthey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    284
    Real Name
    Rainer Manthey
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Karl: the VIN on your door sticker is wrong because it starts with a "9".

    Decoding your VIN: 57 = code for Manta in US specs, 8 = assembly plant Antwerpen II, 08.... six digits for the sequential VIN number of the factory production. Your car was manufactured in the second week of October 1973.

    Rainer
    For more information visit our site:
    www.manta-a-online.de

  17. #35
    Opeler opelgtboy70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,118
    Real Name
    Karl Senula
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    So the sticker on my door says 908 and the a-pillar says 908. The data tag on the front rail says 808 and the numbers stamped by the cowl under the windshield says 808.

    Karl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •