Manta Build Date?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By DO'Brien
  • 1 Post By BQS4
  • 1 Post By Manta Rallier
  • 1 Post By dpre
  • 1 Post By opelbits

Thread: Manta Build Date?

Opeler
    Real Name
    Donovan O'Brien
    Downloads
    Uploads

QuestionManta Build Date?

I thought I'd start off by saying this is my first post on this site. I've owned my first Opel - a white 1974 Manta Rallye - for about 4 or 5 months now and finally got around to pulling the engine out to have it rebuilt. (It's currently at Bell and Gaines in Modesto, which was recommended by Gil, getting a complete rebuild). I bought it when I was 17 and am excited to be a part of the next generation of classic Opel caretakers

Either the driver's door had been replaced in the past or the sticker is new, but a PO scratched off the build month and the end of the VIN on this new sticker. I think nothing there would have looked better than a scratched up sticker, but oh well. That got me curious as to how I could figure out the build date of my Manta, since I haven't been able to find anything online (honestly I probably just haven't looked hard enough). After we pulled out the tired engine, I found some stamped numbers hidden under all that oil and grime.

Can anyone tell me if this number, "5 274," means the car could have been made in/on May 2, 1974, or does it mean something else? Also, does the "7" underneath that mean anything?
    I can provide my car's VIN too if that could help find out the build date.

Thanks, Donovan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dpre likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to contact Rainer Manthey on this site, his screen name is Rainer Manthey, he's in Germany and has all that info
    DO'Brien likes this.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there no aluminum plate with the VIN on one frame rail in the engine compartment? It would be on passenger side IIRC.
    dpre likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to have you on-board Donovan. As you will find, there are many members with lots of
    experience with Opel Manta's. I for one know very little about Manta's, but I do like them.
    I own a GT and am learning about it as well. Good luck, I look forward to watching your progress
    DO'Brien likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Manta Rallier View Post
    Is there no aluminum plate with the VIN on one frame rail in the engine compartment? It would be on passenger side IIRC.
    I think he's just looking for the build date that was on the silver sticker on the door. I suspect if the door was replaced, someone scratched it off to make sure there was no confusion as to the vin of the car. Or maybe they scratched it up to hide the origins of a stolen door. I think I saw a report on 20/20 years ago about the lucrative California market for stolen drivers side Opel Manta doors...

All you might be able to do is compare vins and build dates with other Manta owners to get an approximate build date. Some parts have dates on them, like GT speedos, but it is still just approximate.
    DO'Brien likes this.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Opeler
    Real Name
    Donovan O'Brien
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    You need to contact Rainer Manthey on this site, his screen name is Rainer Manthey, he's in Germany and has all that info
    Thanks, I will definitely get in touch with him!

Opeler
    Real Name
    Donovan O'Brien
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelbits View Post
    I think he's just looking for the build date that was on the silver sticker on the door. I suspect if the door was replaced, someone scratched it off to make sure there was no confusion as to the vin of the car.
    Exactly

I sure hope my Manta isn't involved in some rampant theft ring exclusively for driver doors!

(And thanks for all the laughs - I've been reading through these forums for years and always enjoy how fun and positive this community is)

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is definitely not like many other car forums, especially not like the ones catering to Hondas or anything with a v8.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Thread Information