Matt's Electric GT Projectlog
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Matt's Electric GT Projectlog

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Matt's Electric GT Projectlog

Well, I've paid and vehicles have begun moving, so, I'm committed now.

First post of a thread I usually like to keep updated as the project progresses so that someone can get the gist of the details without reading every post. I'll probably do that here.

-- Short summary --

Car:

Opel GT, mixture of 1969 and 1972, mostly 72. Rear defroster. Pop out windows. '69 rims. Engine and transmission are gone. Will link the thread later.

Electric Motor:

Not settled yet, but probably a 3-phase forklift motor I already have, got it for free spending a few nights pulling it off a Hyster carcass. More on that later. May repurpose an OEM EV driveline instead if it works out better.

Battery:

Custom-built battery from recycled tool pack cells. Had a source of these for free, probably have enough collected now.

Speed controller:

Not sure. A variety of choices, all costly. If I was using a DC motor I could use just about anything cheap, even just a starter battery to get it moving around, but a 3-phase AC motor means a fancy and expensive inverter to even make it rotate. May rig up a smaller DC motor just for testing and positioning.

Brakes:

Electric brake booster, otherwise stock brakes. Was given one from someone's aborted project. Will also have regenerative breaking from the motor if I go 3-phase.

Please feel free to ask questions about the electric part of the build process, but, don't worry about it. I have that covered and I have an EV community I'll ask for those details if I hit a wall. I'm sure I"ll be asking lots of car-related questions here though and would appreciate the community's help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First order of business...

Scramble for parts!

I have 2 cars 1800 miles from home I'll be picking up this week. I'm only taking 1 home with me. What to yank?

Orange: Body and glass (no engine) of a '72 with half the firewall and all the trans tunnel removed. And no interior.

Yellow: '69 donor for most of the trim/interior/spare parts. I'll be removing the firewall and trans tunnel with a sawzall and roughly fitting them into the '72 before I go.

I might have a day or two of SLCRacer's spare time to help strip some parts. And maybe a day in person to do the rest myself.

https://imgur.com/a/FvCXuGa <-- Pics so far. (Outer 2 vehicles, not middle one).

What should I take?

What spare parts should I take?

- Door cards, dash, firewall, trans tunnel, bumpers/chrome, lights/lenses all planned already.

- Extra (new) interior carpet pieces and seats (new, paid for) already accounted for.

- Glass and old seats are now gifted to Mike Shannon (who bought middle car and helped load/tow my cars from seller with SLCRacer).

- I was considering taking both front and rear suspensions because I have no idea about what might need replacing. Bushings and linkages and other things I have no knowledge of. Also, a mockup to change either (or mount a transaxle from OEM EV donor) would be convenient.

- What else non-engine-wise?

- Master cylinder?

- E-brake?

- Fuse box? Wiring harness?

- Honestly don't know much else about what's under the hood I might want or what I should be eager about taking with me. If you were describing what to take to a child who has no car instincts, what would you tell them to focus on?

I've got a cargo van (Astro) to tow the car trailer, and can stuff the opel itself full of spare parts. So, aside from the 2nd body itself, I probably have room (but not time) for anything else.

Any last minute advice much appreciated. I leave in a couple days.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Ralph Coates
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good Luck Matt,
    We just finished building a electric 1973 VW Thing. We bought a complete EV West setup from a stalled Opel GT project. My buddy had a VW thing and a wild hair to make it electric. I like gas in my Opels. He has spent over $12,000 dollars to make it right. 5 Tesla S batteries give it a 100 mile range at freeway speeds. This post is to let you know that I have a Curtis electric motor to Opel transmission adapter available to anyone that can use it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagting View Post
    We bought a complete EV West setup from a stalled Opel GT project.
    Oh neat, EV West are good guys.

This post is to let you know that I have a Curtis electric motor to Opel transmission adapter available to anyone that can use it.
    Well it won't match my motor, but it's 90% of the way to having an adapter plate that will. 1" thick aluminum I presume?

I wonder what it'd cost to USPS ship to Phoenix, and if it could get there before Saturday when I'm in town there?

Once upon a time I worked in southern California. We ordered a sample of bulletproof glass that was 1 step down from grenade proof. Shipped via USPS. Arrived shattered. True story.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Going to be intresting

This is going to be an interesting thread. Hope it pans out.
    What should I take? (Quote)

What spare parts should I take?

- Door cards, dash, firewall, trans tunnel, bumpers/chrome, lights/lenses all planned already.

- Extra (new) interior carpet pieces and seats (new, paid for) already accounted for.

- Glass and old seats are now gifted to Mike Shannon (who bought middle car and helped load/tow my cars from seller with SLCRacer).

- I was considering taking both front and rear suspensions because I have no idea about what might need replacing. Bushings and linkages and other things I have no knowledge of. Also, a mockup to change either (or mount a transaxle from OEM EV donor) would be convenient.

- What else non-engine-wise?

- Master cylinder?

- E-brake?

- Fuse box? Wiring harness?(Quote)

Everything you can stuff in the van and car. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. Just my thoughts, Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Thread Information