Let the BLITZ commence - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Let the BLITZ commence

Real Name
    Cody
    Downloads
    Uploads

*lightbulb moment*

well guys, I did a thing. I was dead set on getting it back to its original color (or what was left of it) before fully stripping and getting all of the body work going. This is not a sprint for me, so I have time. i brought out the old faithful orbital and found some really bad ass 80 grit screens to fit. Turns out, there's a lot of yellow under all that lipstick. Burnt thru the pads and needed to get more, but that's what this weekend is for. Very pleased with how much of the factory yellow is still there. She's no show car, but that yellow is making me change my mind on what color I wanna repaint her. Might have to go with a steinmitz style paint job. Decisions, decisions....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Scifi Guy and kwschumm like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cody
    Downloads
    Uploads

another lightbulb!

Going to compile a list of parts that I know for a fact I do not and will not need for the future. I will provide another listing with all of the parts once inventoried and pictures taken. As of right now, I know we have:
    1.9 engine (head disassembled, but parts are all in my possession....)
    4spd stock gearbox
    2 carbs (99% sure they're both 32/36 Webers, will verify and take pictures)
    steinmitz flares (still on the fence about this one, haven't fully decided yet...)

Ill dig thru the rest of my crates I got with the car and see what else we have. Will probably post in the "parts for sale" section as well. I am in the SoCal area, if anyone is interested to kick tires and look around, shoot me a message and we can link up. I WILL have interior parts as well, all of the interior is in *Decent* shape. some tears, but nothing that isn't salvageable... Do not know when I will be stripping the interior, but I'm sure it can be of use to someone in the community.

Real Name
    Cody
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another day of sanding and I'm very happy with the outcome. A lot more yellow than I was anticipating under all that crap paint and bondo... also happened to receive some free rims as well. 18x8 with what looks like a +35mm offset and they're 5x114.3 lug pattern..... would have to get some wheel adapters for it and they're larger than I originally intended on going, but free is free. Will have to do some mock up work and see if they'll have any issues....

Has anyone run 18's on their GT?
    I know I've seen some with 17's, and wondering how the do with turning. Not having PS seems like they might be a bear to turn at a standstill. might mount them, might not. Haven't done much digging into the issue, I just don't say no to "free".
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    The restoration shop that did my '71 suggested I take as much paint off as possible before shipping the car to them, as a means of saving me some expense. They recommended paint remover -- Zip Strip --. Lots easier than trying to sand it all off.
    dpre and Doc_Holliday53 like this.

Real Name
    Cody
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    The restoration shop that did my '71 suggested I take as much paint off as possible before shipping the car to them, as a means of saving me some expense. They recommended paint remover -- Zip Strip --. Lots easier than trying to sand it all off.
    Thanks for the info.

Not trying to get it all the way down to bare just yet. The goal was/is to get it down to the original color (yellow) and see how much of it is left..... When its body shop time, I will definitely check that out and get her stripped down!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information