Opel GT Forum banner

79 Kadett C - Jägermeister

36K views 94 replies 29 participants last post by  Trevil 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
79 Kadett C - Jägermeister

Looks real. Texas plates, parked next to a F150, been about 6 months since registered on ebay and would definately be worth the trouble to import. I'd still rather take a look in person, or cash at pick-up, but still looks like it might be worth the extra effort.

79 Kadett C

from Ebay said:
79 Opel Kadett C one of a kind

Engine: rebuilt 9,000miles ago,2 liter 16 V 180 HP with dyno sheet, Ported and polished head and intake, 2.5 inch exhaust,complete MSD ignition

Suspension: rear adjustable Koni shocks, Front 3 way adjustable Gabriel, polyurethane bushings used thru out the suspension, swaybars front and rear, strutbars front and rear, full rollcage,Limited slip rear diff w/383 gears 5 speed replaced seals inner and outer and clutch less than a year ago

Interior: Recaro seats drivers side has small tear,complete Auto Meter Gauges, sport steering wheel, peadls, shift knob

Body: painted 2 years ago a few chips and alittle service rust on qrt panel (see picture) no major damage no bondo real solid car
Mod edit: Moved thread to Members Project Forum and changed title.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Last time he listed it he was asking $8,000. This time it's $5,000.
Nice car for the money, but I'd want to physically check it out before I parted with a penny....

#8 ·
Now, let's stay serious :eek: for at least a few posts - anyone here going for it? And pleeeeaaaase don't ask why I'm asking! :no:

Dieter

#11 ·
S0 ......

Wouldn't the 180hp 16v red top motor/5-speed box/limited slip diff be worth the $5,000 ... just so it could be used for a GT conversion ??

Looks a 'cheap' way to get the good stuff for a 'killer' GT.

#12 ·
Wouldn't the 180hp 16v red top motor/5-speed box/limited slip diff be worth the $5,000 ... just so it could be used for a GT conversion ??

Looks a 'cheap' way to get the good stuff for a 'killer' GT.
Listen Jim...the last thing I need is a 'voice of reason' justifying a purchase I'm trying not to make....I have enough voices in my head..... :argue:

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Driving it home

• Friday, 8pm: The garage door opens in Dallas, TX, and a screaming orange, low and clean 79 Kadett C 2dr sedan blinks at me. I sit in it, turn the key and drive it out of the garage. It's love at first sight. Behind the front seats: a bottle of NOS, with a red warning banner on it "Remove Before Flight". That's exactly what I'll do now, "fly" this little racer home on I-20 from Dallas to Newnan, GA.
  • Friday, 9pm: After getting familiar with the Kadett, I'm on my way. Going on the Interstate through Dallas, people giving me a "Thumbs-up" all over the place. Let's do something to stay awake and count 'em.
  • Friday, 9:10pm: Memory overload - I stop counting the thumbs, it'll just be too much. I have to concentrate on the traffic.
  • Friday, 10pm: Just outside of Dallas, I'm going about 5 over the speed limit, a state trooper jumps into his cruiser, turns on the lights, and goes behind me. Shoot, I didn't think they are that picky here! I stop, and here is about our conversation:
    Trooper: "license and registration please". I hand it to him.
    Trooper: "Sir, I see you have a Texas license plate, but a Georgia registration. How come?"
    Me: "I just bought the car in Texas, and my cardboard plate is taped inside my rear window." (hardly visible behind the tinted windows...).
    Trooper: "So I see that you are driving a ... let's see ... a 79 Opel. Who made that?"
    Me: "Opel did, the car was imported from Germany."
    Trooper: "OK, I've just never seen such a cute lil' car and was kinda curious what it was. Have a good trip, and drive safely!" I'm speechless...
  • Friday, 11pm: I'm going around 60, a Honda with a huge front spoiler and rear wing comes up from behind, going probably 80 or so. Parallel to me, he steps off the gas, looking over, all of him saying "I'm a bored 18 year old, and wanna race your freakin' orange thing". He steps on the gas again, pulling off. I was thinking for about two tenth of a second (yeah, I'm getting old, I have to think about stuff like that...), then I was nailing the pedal down to the floor. A moment later, the ricer is next to me again, then I'm gone. He gave up at 120, I continued to 130 before I let it go because I didn't want to spend the night in a Texas jail. I know I have friends at the Texas police, but I didn't want to overdo it...
  • Saturday, 12:10am: I'm crossing into Louisiana, and the Interstate is really bad. The suspension on the Kadett is like a brick, and my rear end feels like a test device for gravel roads. I don't see the truck tire on the road, and hit it with the passenger side of the front spoiler. "Nur fliegen ist schöner". It does a BANG like in a war zone, the Kadett goes airborne, I land a little askew with the front towards the right shoulder. That's where I wanna go anywhere, I stepped on the brakes and rolled out on the shoulder. Man, everything there including my right front wheel and tire must be gone! I check my passenger side, the tires are both OK and hold air, but the front spoiler is shredded. A few parts are dragged underneath the car, including the front license plate, and I just rip off the rest of the spoiler and the tag. The passenger fender is slightly dented, but I'll be able to fix that at home.
  • Saturday, 12:20am: After I pulled off the next exit to check on the damage without fear that an 18-wheeler kills me, I go back on the Interstate. I see the pot hole on the entry ramp too late, and hit it full force. I stop again to check my tires and wheels for any damage, but I'm a lucky one again. I spontaneously love that little car!
  • Saturday, 3-6am: I'm catching a little rest, soundly asleep in the car in a Walmart parking lot, just a mile after crossing the Mississippi river bridge.
  • Saturday, 8am: Somewhere after Jackson, I'm going 5 under the speed limit, out of nowhere I see blue lights behind me. What the heck is it now? Do I need a large bumper sticker, saying "It is a 79 Opel. Opel made it!" or what? Here again, the conversation:
    Trooper: "Hi, how's it going? I was just noticing your beautiful Kadett C. Where are you heading?"
    Me: (speechless) "Ahem, home to Georgia, I just bought..."
    Trooper: "Yeah, you know, when I was stationed in Heidelberg in the military, I had just the same Kadett C, same body, just a different color. I liked it so much you wouldn't believe it. I never thought I would see one ever again. Is it for sale?"
    Me: "Ahem, no, like I said I just bought it, in Texas, and now I'm driving home to Georgia."
    Trooper: "OK man, well, have a good trip and drive safely!". I'm speechless again.
  • Saturday, 2pm: I'm back home in Newnan, I had a good trip, I was driving more or less safely (except the truck tire incident), and yes, I'm still speechless... AND I DO LOVE THAT LITTLE GERMAN CAR!!! It's name will be "Jägermeister", and the tag that I applied for is "JGRMSTR".
Dieter

Attachments

#29 ·
some more pics

Attachments

#31 · (Edited)
Dieter,

Yeah! That's how you break in a new car! Thanks for the great story. When will we see this thing? Charlotte?

Mark, thanks for the education. I knew it was SSS but stand corrected again.

Jim

#32 ·
When will we see this thing? Charlotte?
Jim
The Jägermeister will definitely be in Charlotte. Maybe another car too, depending on whether a German Intern working with me wants to come along, driving or trailering another of my Opels.

Dieter

#33 ·
Congrats Dieter! I am sad to see it leave TX. :sigh:
I'm guessing a LOT of ricer boys will challenge you.
Thanks for sharing your story. If you'd have waiting until this weekend you could have brought it to the TX Opel meet before heading home.

#34 ·
If you'd have waiting until this weekend you could have brought it to the TX Opel meet before heading home.
If I didn't have my 10-year-USA-Party this weekend, it would have been possible :yup:

Dieter

#36 ·
Hello Dieter- Ernie Bello in So Florida. So you bought the Kadett C! I have a 78 GT/E 2-liter I brought from Germany in 1985. I am racing the thing in HSR, and having a ball! I think the handling and the tossability of the "C" is awesome, always getting comments from other drivers... "what the hell is this thing anyway?" I think, Dieter, you will enjoy this car tremendously. Gruss! Ernie

#37 ·
Ernie - I have heard a lot of stories about you and your Kadett, but never seen a picture. Maybe you wanna post a few, or send me some by email? The Jägermeister has collected some racetracks of his own, in his former life in Germany. You might know them - the top one is the Nürburgring (Nordschleife), the lower one is the Hockenheimring. You can go on the racetracks over there on specific open days, pay a fee and race your head off. I hope to get a sticker with the "Tail of the Dragon" real soon...

Dieter

Attachments

#39 ·
Kadett C- Again!

Hey Dieter- Just got back from vacation- reason I did not answer sooner. I have done several Driving Schools @ the 'Ring with the BMW Club- between '77 and '89- it has a hoot! but it got expensive. So I started racing over here (stupid) in '91! And here I am- still no signs of a cure! I will be at Roebling Road (Savannah) in early September to race with VDCA- my first race with this group. Come on out! Edwin has been out there a couple of times. If I know you are coming I can get you in N/C- hell of a deal for a schmutzfink? This goes for anyone that wants to come out. I was at Road Atlanta in May. If you need some interior trim pieces for the Kadett, I saved almost everything when I stripped the car for racing. I even have a Matter Roll Bar for the car! Hope to see y'all @ Savannah. Ernie

#40 ·
Ernie,

unfortunately, it's on the same date as the Opel Nationals weekend in Charlotte, which I just can't miss :no:! I just looked on their website, they'll be on the same track again in December, keep me updated, I'll run down to Savannah in a heartbeat!!! :veryhappy Gene, Tony, anybody else? GA & FL Opelers, we could involve some adult drinks and call it Decemberfest :yup: :beerchug:

Dieter

#42 ·
You're right about the wagons and other variants. Probably my favorite was a '73 2 door wagon I helped a friend build back in the early 80's with a Manta nose and sheetmetal (the Mantawagon..!!) '71 block and hydraulic lifter head, 94 mm bore, flat top 9.2 to 1 pistons, 4 speed, electronic breakerless ignition, sprint cast exhaust manifold and Weber 32/36 carb. With minor suspension mods and 14" alloy wheels that car was a runner.

Too bad he got T-boned by a drunken driver. Fortunately he only suffered minor injuries and got a nice settlement.

#43 ·
license tag

I finally got my tag today. Too bad they didn't mail it out a few days earlier, in time for the CLT meet. The Jägermeister is now complete!

Dieter

Attachments

#44 · (Edited by Moderator)
I found a picture of the Jaegermeister when it was still in Germany at a 1/4 mile event. The link is here.
It's the one circled in the attached screen shot. Looks a little different, but the orange cage, the wheels, the sticker on the window and the Kamei front spoiler (not existing anymore) are dead giveaways...
Here is another shot. First pic in the collection.

Dieter

Attachments

#46 ·
Hope the person that needs to learn to pay attention feels your pain AND your buddies!!!

Looks fixable, but I can only imagine how sick you must have felt after the impact and seeing the damage. :sigh:

Hope they have GOOD insurance. Hey, maybe they'll pay for a flight to Germany to find parts! I'm available if you need help. :yup:

Harold

P.S. Looks like it possibly damaged the 'Getrag 240' :sly: you had in the car.

#47 ·
Looks like they needed the 5 mph bumpers on that model. Hope it can be fixed easily.

#62 ·
I gave the GA Opelers a preview of my aluminum race-cockpit last weekend at Edwin's excellent yearly BBQ, with some finishing touches still being done. Meanwhile, a set of carbon fiber rear flares for the Kadett are on their way to my basement. They will compliment the already existing carbon fiber front spoiler, to make the car's appearance more and more into a race car. Now I need to get larger rear tires. My rear wheels are 14x10, any recommendations on tire size from the group? Since I raised the rear up by 1 1/2" and have a programmable speedometer, a larger tire dia will not be a problem. There will not be any change to my front tires.

Dieter

Attachments

#63 · (Edited)
I gave the GA Opelers a preview of my aluminum race-cockpit last weekend at Edwin's excellent yearly BBQ, ... Dieter
AND your James Bond inspired 'oil slick dispenser'. :yup: :lmao:

Now for the ejection seat, machine guns and bullet-proof shield and you'll be ready.:biggthump

Harold

P.S. Or maybe just add a cup holder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.