Opel GT Forum banner

Feelers for a September meet

5K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  RallyBob 
#1 ·
After my recent 25-year anniversary meet at my shop, it was discussed that perhaps I should hold more frequent meetings. An annual meeting might be a neat idea, and could be added to the Opel calendar as a regular event.

Summer is generally bad since a lot of folks are busy, on vacation, or have kiddies that are out of school.

Winter wasn't too bad, but it would be nice to be able to drive an Opel to the shop as well as open the garage door for a more open environment.

So in order to not clash with pre-existing events, September sounds like it might be a nice time of the year to have a get-together. Warm enough to avoid snow, cool enough to not require A/C (usually!). Might even warrant a 'cruise' on some nice back roads.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

#2 ·
Yeah, do it in Glacier National Park! A meet and vacation and tour cruise all in one.
I'll supply the pig roaster and keg cooler and party tent and bouncy house and tables and chairs and chocolate fountain and dance floor and...
I could even bring an Opel but probably shouldn't drive it there. Are trailer queens allowed?:)

#4 · (Edited)
...Any thoughts or recommendations?
I think it's a great idea Bob. September is a good month. I thought about a get together at the Limerock Labor day weekend event, but that would take away from us just hanging out. If we had enough people maybe we could do a poker run or a mystery cruise to a Hooters... err... a restaurant for a meal!

#6 ·
Sounds good to me too Bob, like maybe the weekend after Labor Day or something.

#7 ·
now how am i supposed to get to florida in november if i have to leave the wife , daughter and grandson at home and get over in september :banghead:

i just cant see mary wearing it :no:

maybe if we have a big argument just before i book for Fl then i can book into boston or NY :lmao:

#8 ·
Sounds like a great idea, Septembers are tough with the football schedule but Penn State usually plays a couple of weaker opponents early in the season and it could be an away game by chance. What about the Route 66 show, isn't that a September event?

By the way I'm there no matter what!:)

Signal Green is looking better everyday!

#9 · (Edited)
I think September up your way would be great. It would be cool to line it up near something going on at Limerock or shoot up to Bennington for a Hemmings event.

I need to do something next year at my place. Though Bob mentions summer is a bad time, it's the main remaining dead zone. Also, since Carlisle is May, I might have something before that for a tuneup but I know a lot of Carlisle folks may not do both.

But more meets is what I need!

Like everybody says Dave, with that Signal Green they'll quickly find you in the woods. :lmao: (Not that my car is exactly dull.)

Jim

#11 ·
Sounds like we have a few people interested. Now we need to decide on a specific date.

Also we should consider whether it's as social gathering only, or if it will include an 'Opel cruise' and/or any tech stuff.

#12 ·
September or October sounds good. Possibly a "Fall Foliage" event to see the leaves change in the Fall. I'll take a day or two off of work for this. We need some lobsters too!:)

#19 ·
OK back on thread..........I think I have a good idea.......maybe......all details would have to be worked out. I might be able to get us into the Go Kart Track for a little racing fun on the weekend Bob does the meet. It is about 1 1/2 hour drive to the track from Bob's so it would be a little bit of a trek, but it is not crazy either. If everyone is open to the idea we can begin to workout the details.

#20 ·
Jeff;

Are you sure you want to do that?? A bunch of crazy Opel people driving your Go-Karts. Talk about drifting gone wild!! Better up your insurance coverage:D

I'd love to try it.

#23 ·
Intentional bumping is frowned upon but a little rubbing during passing is perfectly OK. I posted a video of me in the twin engine kart a couple of weeks ago, here is the link to the post. The facility opens at 9am on Saturday and Sunday but they hold Junior racing classes and leagues in the morning on those days also. If we zero in on this I can try and book time well in advance so that we can do what we want. There is also a full restaurant, pool tables, video and racing games air hockey etc. if anyone wants to check out www.gpny.com

#22 ·
Sounds great to me too.

I just checked a couple dates of previous Opel events held in September.
This years dates are:

Charlotte NC AutoFair is Sept 10-13 2009

Springfield IL Rt 66 event Sept 25-27 2009

I know these events are quite far from the New England area, but some people like to attend as many Opel gatherings as possible :D. So if it was on a different date than these, I wouldn't have to choose.:yup:

~ Tom

#24 ·
Just a little bump to see if anyone's still interested...

#28 ·
Definately,

I am working on the 73 GT right now and I am getting pretty close. I know you said driving an Opel down is not necessary but I kind of wanted to make it down with my GT anyway. I am only an hour away and am probably going to stick close to home with the GT this fall to get all the bugs worked out so pretty much anytime would be good.

#30 ·
I am also still interested, the only thing that would stop me is work, which has been insane lately....and for the foreseeable future.

#34 ·
Do we have a date and time yet on this meeting Bob ??
We don't, which is the reason I'm putting out feelers right now. I'm open to suggestions, as I have no idea what works for everyone. If no suggestions are made and agree on, then I won't have the meet...I need input from the club members!

#37 ·
Sept 12 is the show in Charlotte(I think because Opellane asked me if I wanted to go) and also happens to be my Anniversary, I think my wife might be upset if I spent the day with Bob and not with her :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.