History of The Nationals (?)
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: History of The Nationals (?)

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads

History of The Nationals (?)

I've been trying to track down the locations where the nationals have been held over the years. It gets kind of confusing, search and reading, often realizing the event was not held where originally planned, so I thought I'd just ask.

Where were the nationals held, going back as far as people can remember?

Was there anything significant about it? Was history made?

Who sponsored/organized the meet?

I need the information to help promote the 2020 nationals (see the attached image, a rough early draft). Plus, I might turn it into an article for The Blitz.

Links to the aftermath of the events, particularly those listing the awards, would be nice, too.

Thanks, Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Charles Goin got a lot of it started on this side of the country. Gary, Vicki, and others have carried the torch since then for the Carlisle meets. Contact him via Facebook, I'll PM you his phone number.
    m610 likes this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 2020 Nationals will be in Springfield, Il at the Rt. 66 festival. Last year with the Great American Tour planned, the West Coast National was moved up and the others slid out by a year.

The seed for a National meet was started in 1999 (or '98) in Todd Martin's motel room in Carlisle after a few libations. Charles, Todd and I were there along with a couple others. I mentioned how the Euro GT Federation had a rotating annual event that was hosted by their local clubs. That opened up a discussion about having something similar in the U.S. which led to further discussion at the 2000 OMC picnic where the plan was set.

"The event to go to if you can only make one meet this year" was the rationale for the Nationals.

OMC Pcinic, Carlisle, Charlotte Autofair and Rt. 66 were the first 4 as they had venues and hosts to run them.

The schedule is usually decided by the "big 3" (Carlisle, Chatlotte, Rt.66) organizers with input from others who expressed an interest in hosting. Nationals were also held in Georgia, Tacoma and Nashville.

Charles did a graph one year showing the greatest concentration of people who might attend an Opel event was East of the Mississippi. Not sure if that is still true but if anyone is interested in hosting a National, let us know as the schedule beyond 2021 is not set yet and as Keith can attest it takes a lot of planning to do the first one.
    Last edited by Ooooner; 07-01-2019 at 02:30 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Unlike our European friends, we have 3,000 miles from coast to coast which makes it difficult for travel in 50 year old cars. I see no reason why 2 "Nationals" could not be held in the same year. One East and one West. That would open up the intent of the original "meet to go to if you can only attend one" to many who would/could not go to one on the other side of the country.

Comments?

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Halleluja!

I've been hollering for regional Nationals for a while now.

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Halleluja!

I've been hollering for ...... a while now.

Yep!

Harold
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Unlike our European friends, we have 3,000 miles from coast to coast which makes it difficult for travel in 50 year old cars. I see no reason why 2 "Nationals" could not be held in the same year. One East and one West. That would open up the intent of the original "meet to go to if you can only attend one" to many who would/could not go to one on the other side of the country.

Comments?
    I agree with Gary, esp the part "we have 3,000 miles from coast to coast which makes it difficult for travel in 50 year old cars." 2 Nationals " One East and one West'', would allow almost everyone to attend one or the other. JMT. Jarrell
    Ooooner likes this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    Downloads
    Uploads
    and or what about a National event between the coast?

My Collection:
    69 Silver Opel GT (Mystery Targa Car)
    70 Yellow Opel Gt (First car)
    70 Blue /Yellow (Racer)
    71 Orange Opel (Hmm Car)
    72 White Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    73 Black Opel Gt (Cabrio)
    Ocker (50th Tour Car)

12 Volvo C30 (Cosmo)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)
    87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelnut_1 View Post
    and or what about a National event between the coast?

Didn't mean to limit it to the coasts. East/West half of the country.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The reason I brought this up with Mike on the Biltz thread was To get back to my recollection of some of the original intent for the "Nationals". I was not aware of the talks with Todd, Gary, and Charles. I was part of the group discussion about this at the 2005 OMC Picnic. At that time it was intended that every 5th year it would return to the OMC Picnic on what is their anniversary. 2020 along with some other things is I think the 40th anniversary of the OMC Picnic. Now to be sure this deference to that event was due to it being the largest Opel gathering at that time. 2006 was to be Carlisle, 2007 Springfield, 2008 Texas, 2009 Tacoma, and then to OMC. When Texas failed to step forward in 08 Charlotte stepped up and took the slot and has been in the rotation since. The rotation was meant to be open to other Venues and so in some years Groups like Georgia have Hosted. In 2018 Springfield was to host the Nationals but deferred to The folks out west due to special circumstances. Others seemed to have decided Springfield is to host 2020. My preference is for Springfield to Host 2022 as that will be our 20th anniversary at the International Route 66 Mother Road Festival and perhaps my swan song as lead organizer at that event. I wanted to get this out early enough that if not OMC some other venue can claim 2020
    Gary, Ooooner and soybean like this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OMC doesn't need to host the nationals in 2020 if other plans are being made. In fact it will make my life easier.

I didn't realize last year's Nationals was OMC's event. Seems like someone would have told me that before the event. I would have done more promote it as the nationals, etc.

By the way, The Blitz is here to help you promote and tell the story of these meets. I ask for info, and photos, but rarely get anything.

For the next issue, not the one I am working on now but after that one, I'd like to do a look-back at the Nationals and major events that came before.

Mike
    Ooooner and soybean like this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    My preference is for Springfield to Host 2022 as that will be our 20th anniversary at the International Route 66 Mother Road Festival and perhaps my swan song as lead organizer at that event. I wanted to get this out early enough that if not OMC some other venue can claim 2020
    No problem John. We can do that If all agree. You are right. It was the 2005 OMC picnic where this was set.

The good thing with scheduling out for several years is it allows for flexibility like this. Mike, maybe you could plan a National meet to kick off Gil's Coastal cruise trip?

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With the 2019 Opel Nationals being in Charlotte in conjunction with the Fall AutoFair, October 19th, it does help a lot to have the national event planned out a few years ahead of schedule. This is my third one hosting and it gets easier each time. Still need the time to pull everything together.

I don't see a problem with Johns event moving to 2022. Who would fill the spots for 2020 and 2021?

Mike, I sent you a PM about the Nationals in Charlotte this Fall.
    soybean likes this.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't suppose we have anything like this on this site, although I sort of remember that we used to, but here is a link to a world map where members of our For the Love of Opel and Chrome Facebook group have registered where they live. Click the plus(+) to zoom in and get more detail and more names of members:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...6584999999&z=4

As you can see, the overwhelming majority of people who joined our group and registered where they live are near or east of the Mississippi. It only reflects the members of our group who registered their location, but it might serve as a reasonable representation of the disbursement and concentrations of Opelers in North America. Considering that the West Coast is almost twice as long as the East Coast, I can see it being quite a chore to drive from lower California vicinity to the Seattle vicinity and vice versa. I think a fair balance, driving distance-wise, if we adopted a Regional Every Year Nationals concept would be to have 5 of them. Northwest Natty, Southwest Natty, Central Natty(probably Springfield), Northeastern Natty(probably Carlisle), and the Southern Natty(probably Charlotte).

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I don't suppose we have anything like this on this site, although I sort of remember that we used to, but here is a link to a world map where members of our For the Love of Opel and Chrome Facebook group have registered where they live. Click the plus(+) to zoom in and get more detail and more names of members:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...6584999999&z=4

As you can see, the overwhelming majority of people who joined our group and registered where they live are near or east of the Mississippi. It only reflects the members of our group who registered their location, but it might serve as a reasonable representation of the disbursement and concentrations of Opelers in North America. Considering that the West Coast is almost twice as long as the East Coast, I can see it being quite a chore to drive from lower California vicinity to the Seattle vicinity and vice versa. I think a fair balance, driving distance-wise, if we adopted a Regional Every Year Nationals concept would be to have 5 of them. Northwest Natty, Southwest Natty, Central Natty(probably Springfield), Northeastern Natty(probably Carlisle), and the Southern Natty(probably Charlotte).
    We're used to those distance out here. When I first got here I was surprised how far people would drive for a day of fun. Growing up in NC a two hour drive to the beach and back took some real planning.

A map would be nice, but if it shows the location so everyone to ever join here it would be pretty misleading, unless that's what you want to see.

I've published the map of OMC members and on the west coast there is a cluster around LA and another around Seattle, with a diffuse group around SF/Sacto. There are a lot more members in the east, but no such clusters.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Blitz Artical

Mike
    I have resent an article idea I sent you sometime in 2018. This went to your Kstreet e-mail. It may require some editing for time but may still be useable. Also I had hoped that one of our attendees would do an article for last year but if not let me know and I will try and put something with photos together for you.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't remember receiving it. I'll check.

Meanwhile I pasted it in the current issue and did a first read-through. Check your message for more info.

I'll try to get this issue out before the Route 66 event, so that it might encourage a few people to come. Once the article is done we can post it here, on Facebook, etc.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike I sent an e-mail with changes.

I think the event you missed on your Nationals list was the folks down in Georgia. It was a good event too.

Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    Mike I sent an e-mail with changes.

I think the event you missed on your Nationals list was the folks down in Georgia. It was a good event too.
    Yep, John... It was in Blairsville, GA in 2012.
    Roy Bell
    1973 Opel GT
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, a couple of long days scanning the 400+ posts in the Events forum plus making my way through half of the search results for "Nationals", I'm slowly getting this story together.

At this point I'd like to ask for a little help in the form of reading the draft (attached) and helping me with corrections and information I don't yet have.

I've highlighted in yellow areas where I know work is needed.

I've been able to find information on many but not every National.

I'm collecting photos and illustrations but haven't inserted any yet.

I'd really like to be able to list the awards presented each year. If I can't get all, or most of them, I may cut that part. Better to omit it than publish something half done.

Thanks in advance. I'll credit you in the article and if you want to write or rewrite a section you'll be a co-author, which is nice to have when you go up for tenure review.

I'm kinda burning out on this one. Will take a few days off.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information