Greetings from Germany
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rrossjr
  • 1 Post By newman27

Thread: Greetings from Germany

Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings from Germany

My wife and I are in Germany for two weeks and we just arrived in Frankfurt. We have a day here to kill before starting our driving tour through Bavaria so the first thing we did was head to the subway and make our way to Russelsheim to the "OpelWerks" stop to see the factory. I snapped a few pictures and then we headed right back to Frankfurt because it turns out that stop must be specifically for the factory workers as we couldn't find an exit that didn't require a badge (i.e., the exists all apparently lead onto the grounds of the factory). While it wasn't much to look at from outside, for me it was a great Opel experience just being there. I also had to snap a photo of a funny sign that appears to warn that hooligans will not be tolerated .

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '72 Opel GT (Fireglow Orange) "Sara"

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, High Torque Starter, High Output Alternator, Custom CAI, Headers / Custom Exhaust, Getrag 240 5-Speed,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, 15x8" Wheels and Toyo RA-1 Tires, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No Hooligans, eh? No wonder they wouldn't let you in the building!
    Sounds like a fun trip Matt. If you are anywhere near Stuttgart, my friend highly recommends visiting the Porsche museum. You may even want to take home one of these.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    manta73wi likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great pictures, Matt! Thanks for sharing them. If you are in Bavaria, be sure to check out the BMW Welt & Museum in Munich. Very well done. For a great mix of historic autos and other transportation, the Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum (Transportation Museum) is also in Munich. When we went 2 years ago, they had a number of Opels, including an early Lutzmann, Laubrosch, a 30s sedan, a GT, and a couple of Opel bicycles, one of which is motorized. Enjoy the trip, and keep us posted with pictures!
    -Jeff W

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you go back to Rüsselsheim, make sure you say hi to Adam

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be on a plane to Germany tomorrow, spending the weekend and next week in the areas of Frankfurt and Nürnberg (Nuremberg). Wanna meet for a beer?

Dieter

3000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads

Upps!

Upps!
    your are two day to early
    Tomorow 09.22.2012 10:00AM to 05:00PM the Opel-plant Rüsselsheim have open door for visit by 150 year event
    special celebrations are the old Opels and the new Opel Mokka

Upps:banghead:
    Norbert
    Last edited by norbertone.gt371; 09-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey all - just getting logged back in - WiFi access has been sporadic. Thanks for all the replies. We thought about the Porsche museum but that was too far out of our way and we had to skip it. We have three days in Munich with nothing to do but drink beer so we will check out that Transportation museum - thanks for the tip! I can't beleive we missed the Opel event!!! :banghead:.

Dieter - We are heading to Fussen today and then in Munich tomorrow. Are you still in Germany and if so where???

Well, since I have WiFi, here is an update on our trip with some more photos...

------------------

Just posting some more Opel related sightings as our vacation continues in Germany. See photo of a "new" Opel GT parked in a garage we parked at. I don't think they made too many of these so a rare sighting possibly. One of our stops was in the town of Bad Mergentheim and what do you know - a CAR SHOW was going on! Even better - there were Opels there! The GT pictured belongs to Rainer Zimmermann of Sadeldorf (according to a sheet placed in the window). Unfortunately, Rainer and his friends didn't speak much English but through some broken German and hand gestures I was able to convey that I too have and Orange Opel GT in the States. Note photos of some more Opels in the car show. Now, I know everyone has their own collection of Opel memorabilia and that there are some strange items out there but I challenge anyone else to prove they also have an Opel THONG as pictured.

I have noticed that many Opel owners here add special badging to the fenders of their cars like movie characters or place names. The small red Opel pictured had "Atlanta" badging added (circled in the photo). Also pictured is an Opel service station in a very small town we were passing through (I just thought it was neat looking). Finally, the last photo is evidence of me hitting the top speed limiter of 210 Kph (130.2 MPH) on the Volvo XC60 rental car I was given. I was quite disappointed to find out that this thing won't go any faster! I had set as my goal 140 MPH before coming here (twice the maximum U.S. speed limit in Georgia). They were supposed to give me a manual transmission BMW or Mercedes but I guess they figured an American would prefer an automatic SUV. :banghead: Oh well...

Regards,

Matt
    manta73wi likes this.

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, High Torque Starter, High Output Alternator, Custom CAI, Headers / Custom Exhaust, Getrag 240 5-Speed,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, 15x8" Wheels and Toyo RA-1 Tires, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

Real Name
    Infected with Opelitis
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really love the pictures and stories...thank you for sharing!!!!!

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Matt
    I can't tell you why the "Atlanta" badging is on the car, but, I can tell you where they got the badge from, it's from the 1996 Olympics from here. Opel made some stuff for the Olympics, and that was one
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    If you go back to Rüsselsheim, make sure you say hi to Adam
    Looks like 'Uncle' Adam is taking widdle Gary for a walk somewhere.

Harold
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 09-27-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by newman27 View Post
    ....Now, I know everyone has their own collection of Opel memorabilia and that there are some strange items out there but I challenge anyone else to prove they also have an Opel THONG as pictured.
    Rumor has it that Harold has several.... NO pictures please!!!!

3000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel Type-Edisions

Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    Matt
    I can't tell you why the "Atlanta" badging is on the car, but, I can tell you where they got the badge from, it's from the 1996 Olympics from here. Opel made some stuff for the Olympics, and that was one
    Hi
    Only the Corsa B have a lot of edisions."Atlanta" for the Olympics and "Worldcup" for the Soccer WM 1994 in the USA was only two of badging Corsa B`s.

Here are a few of edisions from only the Corsa B

- Corsa CDX

- Corsa GSi

- Corsa Advantage

- Corsa Atlanta

- Corsa Cappuccino

- Corsa City

- Corsa Eco

- Corsa Edition 100

- Corsa Edition 100 Cool

- Corsa Family

- Corsa Grand Slam

- Corsa Hattrick

- Corsa Joy

- Corsa Plus

- Corsa Roncalli

- Corsa Special

- Corsa Sport

- Corsa Swing

- Corsa Twen

- Corsa Viva

- Corsa Vogue

- Corsa World Cup

- Corsa World Cup Cool

- Corsa World Cup Sport

- Corsa World Cup Swing

Greetings
    Norbert

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Rumor has it that Harold has several.... NO pictures please!!!!
    Just the ones left over after the photo shoot with Gary's car. Who was that gal anyone, she was kinda cute.

Harold

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by newman27 View Post
    Dieter - We are heading to Fussen today and then in Munich tomorrow. Are you still in Germany and if so where???
    Too late my friend, I'm already checked in to my flight out of Frankfurt tomorrow (Friday).
    Enjoy the beer!

Dieter

Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads

In Munich...

Harold can keep those thongs to himself - some parts of a person's Opel collection should be kept behind closed doors! .

Hey Gene/Norbert thanks for the info on the Opel badging. I saw two red Opels with the Atlanta badge in two different towns and thought we were being followed .

Sorry we missed you Dieter - we'll have to have that beer in Blairsville instead!

--------------

Well, we arrived in Munich last night and turned in that dog of a Volvo that kept me from achieving my goals . Actually it was a very good vehicle for the trip - we named the Sat Nav lady with the British accent "Brigit" and she got us everywhere we needed to go over eight days! Not much in the way of Opel sightings the rest of the way. I was really hoping to spot a classic Opel on the road somewhere but it didn't happen.

Oktoberfest last night was probably one of the top three craziest places I've ever been. We drank a bunch of beer with several new German friends in one of the Bier Gartens. I've attached a few more general Opel photos and a few non-Opel photos of some other interesting classic cars encountered along the way...

Matt

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

Thread Information