GT & Manta Memory Lane - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: GT & Manta Memory Lane

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by B-VD900 View Post
    This was in 89. 2.0 Liter Engine with Weber carbs. Recaro seats from a B Manta.
    All black and all shiny but still with the "windsplitz" on the front fender.
    I don't know what that these things are called in English.
    Also, still with the cut rear bumper and the stupid plate lights.
    To my surprise, I actually won a trophy at a Manta A meeting in Fulda. It is on the roof of my car.
    I once lived near Fulda at Langendiebach (Fliegerhorst Kaserene) a long time ago, courtesy of my rich Uncle Sam. Back then we could buy "Quartermaster" gasoline for eighteen cents a gallon! Good memories!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasmanta View Post
    nice story, must have lots of pictures handy to scan and post. So jacking the back end of the Manta would allow a lot of wheel spin and bad traction. Why was that popular in Berlin?

Ron
    Ron
    More comes soon but I have to find the pictures first. I have not seen most of them since 94 or so.

Not just in Berlin. From one international Manta meeting to the next, Manta's had these kits installed. I thought it looked cool.
    You are right, wheel spin, bad handling and if to high, the drive shaft would come out of the transmission.
    I don't know what I was thinking back in the day and I was not the only one. It is the same with drilling holes into a perfectly fine hood, trunk lid or into brand new fenders and the list goes on. What was I thinking? The only excuse I have is, I was young, had a good job and all parts we needed were widely available.
    But I learned, it just took me a while.
    Thanks for following my little story.
    Irfan
    Last edited by B-VD900 (R.I.P.); 09-07-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    I once lived near Fulda at Langendiebach (Fliegerhorst Kaserene) a long time ago, courtesy of my rich Uncle Sam. Back then we could buy "Quartermaster" gasoline for eighteen cents a gallon! Good memories!
    Cool! I hope you had fun in Germany. Remember the good food? That is one thing I miss and the Autobahn.
    Actually, I remember being at two shows in Fulda, they called in Pfingsttreffen. It was always in May. 89 and 90 maybe.
    18 cents a gallon but only at the Kaserne. We paid much more and for a Liter. I remember 89,9 Pfennig a Liter and that was in 1980.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, yes I remember the good food and the wine. Coke was more expensive than wine and the smell of German gasoline at the pumps had a unique smell. Loved the new wine and sausage festivals in all the little towns in central Germany. Went to visit cousins every summer. Ron

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, yes I remember the good food and the wine. Coke was more expensive than wine and the smell of German gasoline at the pumps had a unique smell. Loved the new wine and sausage festivals in all the little towns in central Germany. Went to visit cousins every summer. Ron
    I'm glad you have great memoris.
    That's right, wine was less expensive than Coke. The German gas smells different maybe the reason is, it starts at 93 octane. The best gas they had 98 octane. Today, I think you can get 105 or even 108 at the pump.

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    90/91 I fianally had enough of these rubber things on top of the fender. So, the friendly Opel dealer around the corner ordered me two new ones. Parts are getting harder to find and my Opel dealer got me the last right door listed at a Opel dealer, spare parts and a ton of rubber bushings for the axles, steering etc.
    The 2 Liter engine was dead too. Sitting down with Ralf (a friend of mine) we disussed a new engine. With that list, I went to Opel. I remember, they asked me if I'm sure that will all fit together. 2 weeks later I picked everything up and drove it straight to MCH, an engine tuner just outside Berlin. I wanted new a tire combination. Needed new 45 dual Weber carbs, got tinted headlights from BMW, group A exhaust the list goes on.
    And here we go, a new paint job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Got the Manta back from the painter and put everything together. The goal was to built a fast car which handles like a Go-Kart. The car is lowered, yellow Koni's, 205/60/13 in the back, 205/50/13 front. Upgraded front brakes, new engine with 45 dual Weber carbs, 5 speed, a few other things. Visited my Opel dealer to show them that everything I brought works. A few weeks later on the way to a Manta meeting. Break in time for the engine. But on the way home, lets see what we can do. First race on the Autobahn was a red Lancia Delta HF Integrale. Got thumbs up, not so bad.
    For the next few years, I visited a few more Manta and Opel shows, won a few more trophies and had a ton of fun in an "old car" with a fast engine.
    We raced Opel Calibra's, I remember an Audi and a Ferrari on the Autobahn. Got thumbs up again.
    Stop light races with my friends and in particular a black Prosche 911 Turbo, we had no chance but at least we can try. We lost on all three lights but we did not care. When somebody asked, everything is original. Good times.
    No, I was not the fastest, the ATS Manta was a little quicker, he had around 30 more horses and full race headers which I was not allowed to install since my car is a 75. Stupid German TUV. But it is safe to say, I was top three.
    The blue Manta had a straight 6 with 3 Weber carbs.
    When you look at the picture, you will see a 1970 Manta A, one of the first.
    A 1975 Manta A, one of the last
    and an 1988 Manta B, one of the last ever built.
    Pretty cool.
    Last edited by B-VD900 (R.I.P.); 09-09-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I moved and left my car alone. I drove him only for two or three weeks a year when I visited my friends and family in Berlin. Unfortunately, bad things happen too. An accident, a motorcycle crashed in my back, a year or two later a brake in but they did not know what they missed.
    After a week, I know who stole my parts but the cops did not do anything.
    Instead of seeing my friends, I fixed my car. Thanks to my friends, they took care of all the parts I needed before I actually arrived in Germany.
    Last edited by B-VD900 (R.I.P.); 09-16-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In 2000, the Manta turned 25 and it was time to ship him to the US. He was put into a container with some of my other belongings, shipped from Berlin to Hamburg and 6-8 weeks later he arrived in Long Beach. I picked him up, drove him to his new home, got him a US title, registration etc. drove him for a while until we had problems with overheating. So, I parked him in the garage, put him jacks put a cover over. I always wanted to restore the Manta one more time but I kind of lost interest.
    In the mean time, I got a yellow 74 Manta for 300 bucks with OEM sun roof for spare parts.

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Slowly, we are coming to an end of the story. The car has been on jacks for years, my wife is asking what is going on with the Manta? "Well, just a little welding and a paint job" that was always my answer. In 2008, she gave us a 2 years time limit. Slowly I took the car apart, looked for rust, welded and all of a sudden I had parts powder coated, ordered new bearings, rubber bushings, new fuse box, brake disks, rims, custom radiator and a ton of other parts from Germany and EBay. The Manta was once again in pieces. Another restoration. End of 2012 I got him back from the painter.

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Manta is home. Time to put it together. When I think about it I have parts on B-VD990 from every Manta I have every owned and a few parts are still original.
    I hope you guys enjoyed my little 30 year experience / relationship with my car. A few small adjustments and it is time to drive and enjoy him again. As soon as the temperatures are below 90, we are on the road. Let hope for another 20 years.
    Last edited by B-VD900 (R.I.P.); 09-24-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    Lindsay likes this.

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very Nice job. Great story . You need to take your wife on vacation for her part in motivating you to get the manta back on the road. Ron

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very Nice job. Great story . You need to take your wife on vacation for her part in motivating you to get the manta back on the road. Ron
    Ron
    I aggree, but first, we have to recover. I wish I could take a few month off and take my wife and the Manta around the US.

Downloads
    Uploads

weekend cooldown / skakedown cruise

Irfan, A few of us near you plan to get our Opels out on the road this weekend.
    Weather is getting cooler, ...well around here anything under 100 degrees is cooler !
    I will p.m. my c#. I WON'T be racing you with my 1.1 but I can keep up legal speeds.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by B-VD900 View Post
    The Manta is home. Time to put it together. When I think about it I have parts on B-VD990 from every Manta I have every owned and a few parts are still original.
    I hope you guys enjoyed my little 30 year experience / relationship with my car. A few small adjustments and it is time to drive and enjoy him again. As soon as the temperatures are below 90, we are on the road. Let hope for another 20 years.
    Irfan's Manta A (Post #31) was at the Opel Unlimited show. Pictures are excellent, but seeing this Manta in person is another story.
    This is one of the nicest Manta's that I have seen. I really enjoyed his story of the car's history.
    B-VD900 (R.I.P.) likes this.

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Irfan's Manta A (Post #31) was at the Opel Unlimited show. Pictures are excellent, but seeing this Manta in person is another story.
    This is one of the nicest Manta's that I have seen. I really enjoyed his story of the car's history.
    Hello Lindsay
    I had fun talking to you in Perris, CA. I hope we can continue our conversation in June for the June Bug Show.
    See you in June

Real Name
    Irfan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are two more pictures taken in October 2014 at the Car & Coffee car show in Scottsdale, AZ.
    I hope to see you all at the June Bug show in Perris, CA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Curious why most of you refer to your cars as boys, as cars are more known as women? Anywho here's my 72 4spd 1.9 and a Webber with cloth recaro seats also has 16x9 wheels with 195-40 falken tires and some mustang 2 racing springs with fox body Bilstein shocks

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I am the exception, but my GT is named "Bobby's Girl". Couldn't come up with something else, so it stuck.

Bob
    dpre likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm afraid if I called my GT a girl, my wife might get jealous. I simply refer to it as "runOpel"
    Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information