"Can of Keys" - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: "Can of Keys"

Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    I don't understand
    Before this thread was started you had kept your stash a secret. I think everyone who commented on the Bucket of Keys should be thanked for bringing you out of the closet.

I just need a gas cap key and if the bucket doesn't help me, I will definitely use your services.
    Projekt 2019 - Der OPEL GT
    1971 Opel GT (Green) 10/28/06 VIN: 77 232 5469 Body U1032187 Build date: 10/70
    1972 Opel GT ..(Red) .05/11/07 VIN: 77 237 3202 Body U1049159 Build date: 11/71
    I am past the Age of knowing when I should know better

Other Cars:
    2010 Fusion Hybrid (White)
    LINK to my picture Albums

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Key blanks

Ilco has stopped manufacturing that key OP19, I have had some luck finding them at large retailers, but limited quantities. And now the blanks, even the Op11 have gotten expensive. I miss the 40 cent key blank days. But anyway, I haven't kept my stash a secret, but am just now coming out with several key options for these Opel's. I am about to do some advertising as well, maybe on this site if Gary stops giving away key blanks I am not 100% ready for the all out key thing though, as I am building my inventory on certain items. But yes-keyless gas caps are a thing of the past.
    Keith
    Last edited by Ooooner; 11-26-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads

door

the reason i didnt pull the door handle is because the doors have been changed and i doubt they changed the handles when they did. So i had to pull the ignition switch and its not difficult if i had a key i would of had it out in less than 30 minutes,

paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally Posted by sawdust
    Is there a chance that the bucket could make it to the Mid-West area.
    Maybe to one of the 2009 Milwaukee meets or the Springfield RT66 2009
    or even to the Opels on My Lawn get together in Colfax, Indiana.
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    The Can can go anywhere, just need to know where to send it.

Any chance that the bucket of Keys can be sent to OpelJohn in Springfield.

Other Cars:

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

does the opel ignition key fit all locks on the gt?. ill have to try tommorow for the first time. gets out cam to mark the occasion. 8))

i got lucky and i stashed the key i got with mine in a safe place all these years. i lose things sadly and thy go to the land of lost things lol. "labyrinth"

i was even more lucky i even had a key to begin with.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Originally Posted by sawdust
    Is there a chance that the bucket could make it to the Mid-West area.
    Maybe to one of the 2009 Milwaukee meets or the Springfield RT66 2009
    or even to the Opels on My Lawn get together in Colfax, Indiana.

Any chance that the bucket of Keys can be sent to OpelJohn in Springfield.
    I'll see if I can re-route it out that way. Can you or John PM me the address it needs to go to?
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads
    ah man, the key didnt fit the doors. just the starter.

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to get in the queue for the bucket o' keys. Currently, the only key that I have is the one for the ignition. If there is any way that the bucket could make its way to Washington DC, I would be enternally grateful!

TIA,

Jay
    1973 GT
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskinsjbs View Post
    I would be enternally grateful! TIA, Jay
    Eternally or internally?

When you guys get through shipping the bucket of keys around, paying postage and sitting around going through them hoping to 'get lucky' pull a door handle and get the key code from it and contact Opelspyder so he can cut you a key. I've been through buckets of keys doing the same thing with gas caps. When you're only looking for one key I just don't see much economy in the bucket of keys. Now if it was at a show I was attending that would be a different story.

Harold

Real Name
    Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello,

i donīt understand the problemīs with the Keys?
    Itīs not difficult to have one Key for all Locks.
    You only need a Key who in all Locks in,there are by Opel diffrent uncuted Keys.
    I donīt now the right words.
    When you have an Key who geht in all Locks but do not turn right or left,this is good.
    Now you can put out the Lock,put it in all Partīs and do the little Plates in it right to your Key,do this with the other Locks,and after this,you have a one Key Car.

I have an orig Opelcollection of diffrent Plates for the Zylinders,and do many Carīs when one Cylinder is defekt,built back to an one Key Locksystem.
    By restore of Mantas i by all of them,put out the Lockcylinders,cleaned it,grease it new,so it works perfect as a new one.

You must only work carfully with the small pices.

Greetīs Michael

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steinmetz Manta View Post
    i donīt understand the problemīs with the Keys?
    Opel owners on this side of the pond are 'frugal' they want things as cheaply as they can get them. They would rather sit around going through a bucket of keys looking for a freebie.
    Itīs not difficult to have one Key for all Locks.
    You are correct!

I have an orig Opelcollection of diffrent Plates for the Zylinders,and do many Carīs when one Cylinder is defekt,built back to an one Key Locksystem. Greetīs Michael
    We refer to this as 're-keying' the lock. I have done this on house locks but did not have the 'wafers' to attempt it with Opel locks.
    Harold

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Eternally or internally?

Harold
    Ah, Harold, you may have identified my punning ways!!!

I am willing to send my door handles out to Opelspyder for the $50 or so (most likely with the way this car is, each handle is a different key), but I see the bucket as an adventure of sorts! What sounds better when reminiscing about your car; I had new keys made for the door by shipping them to a buddy on the Opel forums - - - OR - - - there is this Bucket O Keys that floats around and I happened to be lucky enough to have my key right on the top of the bucket!

JMO,

Jay
    1973 GT
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [quote=Redskinsjbs;200947]
    I am willing to send my door handles out to Opelspyder
    You only need to scrape the crud off of the flat tab on the back of the handle for the key code. That's all he needs!

... Bucket O Keys that floats around and I happened to be lucky enough to have my key right on the top of the bucket! JMO, Jay
    I've done the same thing but I had several locks I was trying and I knew the 'bucket' was going to be where I was going to be. So it only cost me my time. And it is somewhat rewarding when you do 'get lucky'.

Harold
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 02-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Real Name
    Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harold,

yes i will it cheaply to.

But re-locking is easy without some new plates to.
    When you have a cylinder an Key go in,but not round,put it out of Doorhandle,so if you have only the Cylinder,now put your Key in,and see how Plates are wrong,
    now you can change the Plates round till it goes to Lock.
    If you have a Plate who will not pass,put it out of an other Cylinder how do you not need,or hone only this Plate down.

But itīs the best to have an Key for Ignitionswitch,and paß the Doorhandle on it.Doorhandle has 6 Plates,and i mean Ignition 10 or more.

THis is the cheapest thing,you only need a little bit of Time,and no Money,and not new Key.

Greets
    Michael

Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harold,

yes i will it cheaply to.

When you have a cylinder an Key go in,but not round,put it out of Doorhandle,so if you have only the Cylinder,now put your Key in,and see how Plates are wrong,
    If you have a Plate who will not pass,put it out of an other Cylinder how do you not need,or hone only this Plate down.

But itīs the best to have an Key for Ignitionswitch,and paß the Doorhandle on it.Doorhandle has 6 Plates,and i mean Ignition 10 or more.

THis is the cheapest thing,you only need a little bit of Time,and no Money,and not new Key.

Greets
    Michael
    Is it possible for you to take some pictures of this procedure. I would like to try it.

Other Cars:

Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Harold,

Greets
    Michael
    Michael is basically saying if the key goes it, then you have the correct key style for the lock. The next step is to remove the cylinder. The plates or wafers that extend out from the cylinder with the key inserted will have to be swapped, removed or modified for this process to work. If you remove or file off the part extending past the cylinder barrel then you make it less precise. In other words there is a greater chance others keys may also fit it. An extreme example would be to remove all of the plates or wafers and then a simple key blank, screwdriver or knife blade could be used to turn the lock.
    Not trying to put words into Michaels mouth and he is certainly free to correct me if I stated something incorrectly. Just trying to help.

Harold

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With my recent run-in with a neighbor not liking all the cars in my driveway, I got too carried away with getting the cars out, couple that with my old age, I seem to have forgotten who I last loaned the "Can-of-Keys" to If you are that person, please PM me as I have an address the Can-of-Keys are suppose to go to next.
    Thank you.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Real Name
    Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello @ all

Harold,thanks on you,

itīs right,
    and when you opel the Lock,and check it,than you can see on the Plate a Nr,all are so and you can see the diffrent,most time when i relocked one,i put all out,and set them new in like the Key i had.By this in most i only need one or two new Plates from my Set.
    SO i hone the one or two it still passed,ore new,or out of an other Cylinder.
    I will look this Week to go in my Garage and search a Cylinder and make some Picīs,so itīs easier to understand.
    Opel build diffrent Looks,and diffrent Profile of Keys,but the Plates was all the same,only the Hole in them was diffrent in high in the Plate.

Greetīs Michael

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Get Lucky

[quote=hrcollinsjr;200951]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskinsjbs View Post
    You only need to scrape the crud off of the flat tab on the back of the handle for the key code. That's all he needs!

I've done the same thing but I had several locks I was trying and I knew the 'bucket' was going to be where I was going to be. So it only cost me my time. And it is somewhat rewarding when you do 'get lucky'.

Harold
    The last time I got lucky, and it's been a while, it cost me dinner and a movie but I didn't have to look in a bucket to find what I was searching for
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 02-27-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Marius
    Downloads
    Uploads

Key blanks

Quote Originally Posted by OpelJim View Post
    If you want a new key blank let me know I have them.
    Then have your local locksmith key your ignition lock and doors
    (should be the same key)
    Hi Jim,
    I need keys for my ignition,
    would this number mean anything to you 3459 2335
    Please let me know

thank you

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information