"Can of Keys" - Page 6
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: "Can of Keys"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted stripe View Post
    I retrieved the bucket of keys from Jott5555 last night. I really didn't need them. I just wanted to add some keys to the collection. If I can get an address I'll get them in the mail tomorrow.
    I'll send you a PM with some contact info so we can set up a time and place to exchange.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the can of keys in my posession.

SUCCESS!!! YAAAAYYY!!!

I found a key that works.

What is the protocol when you find a key? There was only one in there that worked so if I take it the can will be short a pattern.
    Should I have a key made from the one I found and then put the one back in the can or do I just add Opel keys I don't need, smile, and send the can on it's way?

Real Name
    Hans
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Take that KEY and duplicate it two or three times and leave the original in the can
    Projekt 2019 - Der OPEL GT
    1971 Opel GT (Green) 10/28/06 VIN: 77 232 5469 Body U1032187 Build date: 10/70
    1972 Opel GT ..(Red) .05/11/07 VIN: 77 237 3202 Body U1049159 Build date: 11/71
    I am past the Age of knowing when I should know better

Other Cars:
    2010 Fusion Hybrid (White)
    LINK to my picture Albums

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I have the can of keys in my posession.

SUCCESS!!! YAAAAYYY!!!

I found a key that works.

What is the protocol when you find a key? There was only one in there that worked so if I take it the can will be short a pattern.
    Should I have a key made from the one I found and then put the one back in the can or do I just add Opel keys I don't need, smile, and send the can on it's way?
    You can keep the one key that works. You can either take it to a locksmith, or send it to Keith (opelspyder) If you have any extra Opel keys you have no idea about, or no longer have the car, drop them in the can for the next person.
    Now, if/when you're finished with the can, can you either send it to "VanJoe" in NY or you can send it back here to me in GA and I'll make sure it gets to Carlisle for those that want add or try the keys.
    Last edited by BQS4; 04-20-2011 at 06:37 AM.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! I could get my hands on the bucket!!!! This soon!!! Cool!

Hey 1981, I am home all day today and tomorrow, you wanna just drive over with them? Or I could meet you in Buffalo if that's easier. Oregon is closer to Buffalo than east of Rochester (14589) .... I wouldn't make ya drive the whole way

Has anyone tossed any ignition switches or gas caps into the bucket?

Joe

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjoe View Post
    Has anyone tossed any ignition switches or gas caps into the bucket?

Joe
    Sorry Joe, it's just a can of keys, nothing else.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well well, I have a dilemma
    opelnut_1 needs the can of keys and Vanjoe needs the can of keys and I at one point, I think I was asked to send them to BQS4 so they can get to Carlisle (which is very important).

So is everyone cool with them being sent to opelnut_1 if he promises to hurry and get them on his way?

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Well well, I have a dilemma
    opelnut_1 needs the can of keys and Vanjoe needs the can of keys and I at one point, I think I was asked to send them to BQS4 so they can get to Carlisle (which is very important).

So is everyone cool with them being sent to opelnut_1 if he promises to hurry and get them on his way?
    As far as the can coming to me, that's not important as I can just get people, who want to donate to send their extra keys to me personally. If OpelNut_1 needs them, send the Can to him, and we'll see where it goes from there.

Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am in no hurry and I actually checked out what I need keys for yesterday and I need gas cap keys mainly. On the 70 GT it looks like the the driver's door lock was operated by screw driver. If the locks are able to be switched from pas. side to drivers side, (?) I need a key for one door lock. So, I could bring the door handle and caps to Carlisle.

1981, I sent you a PM yesterday, ignore it and send the bucket on to whomever. I'll wait til Carlisle.

I see Kieth is bringing his key cutter to Carlisle, does he supply blanks? I need copies of three keys and don't know where they are available.
    Joe

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Can of Keys has returned to GA (Man, this Can has travelled all over the country ) It will be coming to Carlisle, then afterward, it will be headed to Canada. The way the keys are getting added to it, I may have to search out a larger can....

Real Name
    Downloads
    Uploads

no luck for me with the bucket.

Well I had no luck with the bucket Does one need a key to remove the switch assembly from the housing?

See photo
    Ignition switch - Opel Photo Gallery

or is there someone here that can use the numbers on the side of the switch to cut a key an then it can be removed with out using the destructive method.

I need the turn signal portion for another car but hate to drill it out.

the numbers are 3452335 as can be seen in the photo

hope this number can result in a key being obtained
    Last edited by Mach1Tom (R.I.P.); 06-01-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Fixed photo link & spelling
    My Collection:
    69 Silver Opel GT (Mystery Targa Car)
    70 Yellow Opel Gt (First car)
    70 Blue /Yellow (Racer)
    71 Orange Opel (Hmm Car)
    72 White Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    73 Black Opel Gt (Cabrio)
    Ocker (50th Tour Car)

12 Volvo C30 (Cosmo)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)
    87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelnut_1 View Post
    Well I had no luck with the bucket Does one need a key to remove the switch assembly from the housing?

See photo
    Ignition switch - Opel Photo Gallery

or is there someone here that can use the numbers on the side of the switch to cut a key an then it can be removed with out using the destructive method.

I need the turn signal portion for another car but hate to drill it out.

the numbers are 3452335 as can be seen in the photo

hope this number can result in a key being obtained
    That is just an Opel part # and has nothing to do with a key code.

You may have 2 options:

1- Since the whole assembly is out of the car, a good locksmith should be able to make a key for it so it can be removed. (just like a GT gas cap key is sometimes made.)

2- If this ignition assembly was taken out of a GT with known door handles that weren't swapped out at one time, the code from the handles should be the same.

~ Tom

Real Name
    Downloads
    Uploads

ignition key removal

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Tom View Post
    That is just an Opel part # and has nothing to do with a key code.

You may have 2 options:

1- Since the whole assembly is out of the car, a good locksmith should be able to make a key for it so it can be removed. (just like a GT gas cap key is sometimes made.)
    I will explore this option but will have to see if there is one that cand do it locally

2- If this ignition assembly was taken out of a GT with known door handles that weren't swapped out at one time, the code from the handles should be the same.

Nope this was just parts on the shelf. door handles are long gone I believe.

can it come apart with out the key with out destroying it Hmmm.

~ Tom
    Thanks for all the info
    My Collection:
    69 Silver Opel GT (Mystery Targa Car)
    70 Yellow Opel Gt (First car)
    70 Blue /Yellow (Racer)
    71 Orange Opel (Hmm Car)
    72 White Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    73 Black Opel Gt (Cabrio)
    Ocker (50th Tour Car)

12 Volvo C30 (Cosmo)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)
    87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Was there anyone, here in the US, wanting to try the Bucket of Keys, before it possibly gets sent around Canada?

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    Was there anyone, here in the US, wanting to try the Bucket of Keys, before it possibly gets sent around Canada?
    Too late, it's in the hands of the Crazy Opel Lady (Kat McCoy in Edmonchuk) and the rest of the Alberta Opel clan intends to at least touch the treasured bucket before it leaves our hallowed soil. for SURE before it gets sent to the centre of the Canadian Opel universe in Toronto (Redline Robbie's Opel Emporium, aka Rionart's Opel parking lot)
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    Too late, it's in the hands of the Crazy Opel Lady (Kat McCoy in Edmonchuk) and the rest of the Alberta Opel clan intends to at least touch the treasured bucket before it leaves our hallowed soil. for SURE before it gets sent to the centre of the Canadian Opel universe in Toronto (Redline Robbie's Opel Emporium, aka Rionart's Opel parking lot)
    Keith;
    It doesn't matter to me that it stays in Canada for a while, just wanted to make sure of who it was supposed to go to next. Just keeping track....

Real Name
    Katheryn McCoy
    Downloads
    Uploads

No luck so far

I ran all of the keys on the Manta and my spare GT ignition and did not find anything. Still have the Kadett and an some odd GT door handles to do.

Wow Gene, that's a lotta keys you got there!

Thanks to Keith L. and Gene, my GT has matching ignition and door locks and I hope to get her back out of the auto infirmiry next week. Too late for Tacoma, but not too late of a quick trip to Calgary.

I did get keys from Keith L. for all my cars and all but the Manta work fine. I think somone has changed out the Manta's door handles and ignition as the key code from the trunk did not work on the others. Keith does great work!
    Ms. Kat
    a.k.a. Crazy Opel Lady

1961 Rekord - At the farm, - Not For Sale Yet
    1975 Sportwagon (purchase in progress )
    2002 Jeep Cherokee Laredo - Daily Driver
    2007 GMC 2500HD - For Sale
    1994 Terry 26' 5th wheel - For Sale

Thank God I don't pay for parking!

~* A girl can't have too many cars! *~

Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads

Carlisle's Coming... where's the Bucket o Keys???

I would love to see the bucket at Carlisle! But I'm not sure I will be there.
    Is the location of said bucket known? And can I get it sent to me around the 7th, 8th or 9th? And, if yes, I promise to get it right back to someone close by or close to Carlisle.

Anyone????

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjoe View Post
    I would love to see the bucket at Carlisle! But I'm not sure I will be there.
    Is the location of said bucket known? And can I get it sent to me around the 7th, 8th or 9th? And, if yes, I promise to get it right back to someone close by or close to Carlisle.

Anyone????
    The Can of Keys is currently doing a Canadian tour, and should be headed back to GA soon. If it gets here soon, I can have it sent to you after Carlisle, or I can send them to you and you can forward them onto John.

Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your choice

Whatever works on your end. I am in no hurry. I will be gone until the 10th and with a deadline of a week to get it to Carlisle, I would be less apt to having sitting around waiting to be sent on to someone else. But if it goes from Canada to someone who is going to Carlisle.... I have no issue with it going there and afterwards coming to me. Does it travel by mail or one of the delivery services-OoPS or FED-UP? Mail would hit my PO Box and be secure but delivered to my door would be do-able only on the 11th or after.
    Thanks, Joe

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information