"Can of Keys" - Page 7
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: "Can of Keys"

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Joe;
    The Can of Keys travels by the Postal Service. John expressed a need for a steering column he has. He was first, but, that does not mean that the Can of Keys couldn't be shipped direct to John, then to you.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene
    So far no one has been in contact with me about the keys. If they happen to make it to my place I can either forward them or bring them to Carlisle. I can bring the steering colume to the show and check them there if I have to. A bit more room in the Ascona.
    John

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    Gene
    So far no one has been in contact with me about the keys. If they happen to make it to my place I can either forward them or bring them to Carlisle. I can bring the steering colume to the show and check them there if I have to. A bit more room in the Ascona.
    John
    John;
    Right now, an e-mail has been sent to John Warga, and I have not heard if he has mailed them or not. I guess I need to find out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BQS4 View Post
    John;
    Right now, an e-mail has been sent to John Warga, and I have not heard if he has mailed them or not. I guess I need to find out.
    Gene, I was over at John Warga's place this weekend and sadly, not one of the MANY keys in the bucket fit his "Rescue" GT's gas cap. But knowing that someone was next on the list for the famous bucket, I brought the tin of keys home with me (John lives a bit south of the city and might not have been thinking "Opel" when he happened to be in town near the post office).

Who gets them next?
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    I also have EVERY gas cap key.[/U] Yes you read that right, I have every gas cap key. You send me your cap, and I will send it back with a key. You can mark the cap however you wish. I am able to cut keys to factory spec, and rekey gas caps without opening them apart. Please make sure the condition of the gas cap key hole first, as I have found some a key will not go into anymore due to people prying and such on them. If I cannot find a key, I will send it back to you and pay for shipping both ways-thats how confident I am on getting you the right key.

Keith
    Keith, John Warga's "Rescued" GT has a locked gas cap without a key, and although we tried EVERY key in the "Bucket of Keys", none would unlock the cap. I suspect that the only solution is for him to crawl into the tail section and remove the flex connector on the fill tube and pull the tube out the top, and then try to get a locksmith to "pick" the lock and cut him a new key. Are there any other solutions? Do you have every key available for the gas caps such that you can open a locked cap?
    Keith Wilford

7,000 Post Club wrench459 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    ... I suspect that the only solution is for him to crawl into the tail section and remove the flex connector on the fill tube and pull the tube out the top,
    IIRC on my '69 GT I was able to remove the brake light assy. and remove the filler
    tube out the top.

On my '70 I could not because of the vent tube.
    Not sure about the other years.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    Gene, I was over at John Warga's place this weekend and sadly, not one of the MANY keys in the bucket fit his "Rescue" GT's gas cap. But knowing that someone was next on the list for the famous bucket, I brought the tin of keys home with me (John lives a bit south of the city and might not have been thinking "Opel" when he happened to be in town near the post office).

Who gets them next?
    Keith;
    Joe, aka "Vanjoe" had spoken up and has been a nice guy about waiting. John Dickerson, aka opeljohn, has solved his problem so, if you will, please get Vanjoe's mailing address and forward them onto him, it would be greatly appreciated Sir.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes...if you can remove the filler neck...if it doesn't have the guard spotwelded around the collar...send it with the gas cap. I have every key in which I will find yours...cut it from its proper code and send you 2 keys with codes so you will always have it. It cost 50 for 2 keys cut, and a little more for Canada shipping. PM me for more info. I also have a can of keys that 2 got lucky with at Carlilse but it doesn't have a ton of keys in it. Pay for shipping and I will get it up to you if you rather gamble, or go with the sure bet thing.
    Keith
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keith;
    Joe, aka "Vanjoe" had spoken up and has been a nice guy about waiting. John Dickerson, aka opeljohn, has solved his problem so, if you will, please get Vanjoe's mailing address and forward them onto him, it would be greatly appreciated Sir.
    Gene,
    Contact has been made with Joe (aka Vanjoe) and his address is obtained. I assume that the protocol is for the sending party to pay the freight each time, so as to avoid the trouble of collection. If you let me know your e-mail Gene (although I thought I had it) I will send you Joe's info for you to track for the next recipient.

For those who have not yet experienced the "bucket of keys", I provide the following photo:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Keith Wilford

Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads

My ears have been ringing for about an hour.......

Now I see people are talking about me online....

Looking forward to see this most famous object.
    Joe

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjoe View Post

My ears have been ringing for about an hour.......

Now I see people are talking about me online....

Looking forward to see this most famous object.
    Joe
    Joe;
    This Can has been more places, here in the US and Canada, than most people will be in their life.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those keys with the coded tags sure look familiar!!
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads

So they been around huh?!?! Best I practice safe sex when my turn comes with them?

Joe;
    This Can has been more places, here in the US and Canada, than most people will be in their life.
    The following errors occurred with your submission
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.
    story of my life.... what I entered was too short and needs to be lengthened

5 characters.... is that really inches???

Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads

How Does a Gas Cap Lock Work?

As I started playing with keys, I realized I have never had a key for a GT gas cap! How do they work? The two ears inside go up and down with the turning of the key????

I am being careful , thinking that this tumbler could be froze up or dirty. A second gas cap looks like someone did use a screw driver in it as the outer slot is not square to the cap . And it definitely needs cleaning and oiling.

Any helpful hints on getting a tumbler turning after years of no use?
    Thanks,
    Joe

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanjoe View Post
    As I started playing with keys, I realized I have never had a key for a GT gas cap! How do they work? The two ears inside go up and down with the turning of the key????

I am being careful , thinking that this tumbler could be froze up or dirty. A second gas cap looks like someone did use a screw driver in it as the outer slot is not square to the cap . And it definitely needs cleaning and oiling.

Any helpful hints on getting a tumbler turning after years of no use?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Not really.

When you turn the key, the top of the cap will rotate freely from the bottom so the cap can juast spin instead of being removed. It's near impossible to remove a "locked" cap short of destroying something.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Downloads
    Uploads

Back to the keys

Where can I find the black rubber "handle" that the metal prong fits into? One of the keys to my '74 1900 is just the metal tip and a t shaped insert that goes into the black oval ring.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by franbev View Post
    Where can I find the black rubber "handle" that the metal prong fits into? One of the keys to my '74 1900 is just the metal tip and a t shaped insert that goes into the black oval ring.
    You'll have to keep an eye out on Ebay, they do pop up every now and then. It wouldn't hurt to ask one of our German members to watch the German Ebay for you either.

Real Name
    Infected with Opelitis
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bucket of Keys

Does anyone know where the famous "Bucket of Keys" are? I am going to be heading to Route66 in Springfield next month and was hoping to try and find a key for my gas cap.

Also, I know someone was capable of cutting keys. I would like a spare key cut if possible.

Thanks!

Lori

Real Name
    Steven
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keith, aka (opelspyder) here on the forum cuts keys...send him a PM

SteveGT
    "71 Manta Rallye aka....BLKNBLU

Real Name
    Infected with Opelitis
    Downloads