"Can of Keys"
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: "Can of Keys"

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up"Can of Keys"

Ok, for my 4K post, I will start a new thread. The "Can of Keys" is now back in GA and soon will be on it's way to TX, but, I would like to take a moment to say that if you have any old OPEL keys, ones that you no longer have the car, ignition, cap, door, hatch, trunk or whatever to, please do not throw them away. Please send them to me and I will keep the collection going. The other idea is to send the Can out to those who have purchased a car or ignition or whatever and go through the keys to see if one or more might work. If you find one GREAT! Keep it, but, return the rest. If you have some OPEL keys while you have the Can, add to them.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene, next time I see you, probably at Carlisel, Ill bring my "unknown" opel keys. Try to remind me tho. I might forget them if you don't. I only have a few but they do me no good. N/M I will write it on my hand.
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

Real Name
    Tony Holcomb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This has helped more then a few people.
    Needs a 2dr Ascona, everyone else has one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

No....its not a Buick.... yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations Gene!!!!!
    I hope someone out there actually finds a key that works in that can. I hope that can is going from person to person and not back to you everytime...you'll spend your retirement funds sending it out to each person!!!

Joe
    What ...we got here...is........failure......................... to communicate....
    Some men,you just cant reach...so you get what we had here last week...which is the way he wants it.
    Well, he gets it...I dont like it, any more than you men...

Downloads
    Uploads
    What an awesome idea! I wish I had some keys to contribute, but of the three Opels I've bought or otherwise acquired, none came with any keys.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Lee
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can of Keys

Hi Guys,

I seem to have lost all the keys to my 72 Opel. I had read before that there was a can of keys floating around the US. Does anyone have any idea where this can is and what are the rules for the can? I would appreciate any help that you can provide. I definately don't want to have to retain a locksmith to get this resolved.

Thanks, Lee

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opel72gt1 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I seem to have lost all the keys to my 72 Opel. I had read before that there was a can of keys floating around the US. Does anyone have any idea where this can is and what are the rules for the can? I would appreciate any help that you can provide. I definately don't want to have to retain a locksmith to get this resolved.

Thanks, Lee
    Lee;
    I have the "Can of Keys", the rules are, I send you the can, you try all the keys, if one or more work, keep them and get copies made. If you have keys you no longer have a lock, ignition, or cap to, and these are strictly OPEL keys, then donate them to the can and send them back. I DO NOT want uncut/blank keys, you keep those. PM me and I'll send the can out.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pull the handle

Also if you will pull your door handle, and read the code on the metal stem, I can dealer cut you a key. If your key worked both the door and ignition-its the best way...just ask Mach1Tom-I think he is a believer now
    Keith
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    How exactly do you pull the door handles? My gt uses 4 YES 4 keys I currently have one for gas cap, ignition and pass door need to get one for driver side.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pulling handles

You must remove the handles from inside the door itself. One bolt is in the jamb, one nut on the front inside the door shell. Pulling of the door panel is required. Kent, my suggestion for you is to use your key to pull the ignition lock and get the BB or CC code off of it. I have several door handles that I may be able to match up a pair to your ignition. Then you have two keys for everything like factory intended. If I don't have the handles, maybe some other Opelers could look at there spares.
    www.newvintageauto.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be better thanks. I need to do some wiring on my column sometime... how hard is it to pull the ignition?

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opel72gt1 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I seem to have lost all the keys to my 72 Opel.

Thanks, Lee
    If the ignition and door keys are alike then pull a door panel and remove the handle for the code, much easier than dealing with the can. It still won't get you a gas cap key for that you'll need the "can of keys".

Harold

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there any kind of a code on the gas cap that can be used to have a dealer cut key made? If not, I may need to get on the list for receiving the key can.
    Chilly
    1970 GT - Red with black interior

Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly_75 View Post
    Is there any kind of a code on the gas cap that can be used to have a dealer cut key made? If not, I may need to get on the list for receiving the key can.
    The gas caps have key codes as I know mine. However, I'm not sure you can get to the code of a gas cap without taking it apart. Check out these threads:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/fuel-ta...html#post56222

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/general...6-no-keys.html

HTH

Matt
    '72 Opel GT (Fireglow Orange) "Sara"

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, High Torque Starter, High Output Alternator, Custom CAI, Headers / Custom Exhaust, Getrag 240 5-Speed,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, 15x8" Wheels and Toyo RA-1 Tires, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gas caps

The gas caps only had the codes on the NOS sticker and the key. The internals do not have a code stamped-as I have checked-and did not find one
    Keith
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

GT Keys

Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    The gas caps only had the codes on the NOS sticker and the key. The internals do not have a code stamped-as I have checked-and did not find one
    Keith
    Correct me, (and I'm sure someone will) if I'm wrong but couldn't a lock man change out the "pins" in the locks in order for one key to lock or unlock the ignition, doors and gas cap instead of having three or four keys with some means of marking to tell which key fits what.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe

On gas caps this can be done, as the "wafers" are exposed. On the cylinders of the door and such, I would be affraid of screwing them up. What I mean is that they don't really come apart from what I can see, and would it work that well after you put them back together??? I don't know if that is an option or not
    Keith
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

GT keys

Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    On gas caps this can be done, as the "wafers" are exposed. On the cylinders of the door and such, I would be affraid of screwing them up. What I mean is that they don't really come apart from what I can see, and would it work that well after you put them back together??? I don't know if that is an option or not
    Keith
    Every GT that I have ever had, (7 so far) have always been two key cars. One to operate the ignition switch and one that opened the door and unlocked the gas cap. I learned early in my Opel ownership that you cannot have too many sets of keys for your car. I have three sets for every opel that I own and with blanks getting harder and harder to come up with I don't think that is too many.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bucket of keys

I saw a few months ago their was a bucket of keys floating around i was wondering how to get ahold of them. I just picked up another gt and need to find a set of keys that will work. Im in north alabama

thanks

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    contact gene ( bqs4)

he is the keeper of the keys

An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information