Tools and parts to bring with you in your Opel
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pherrley
  • 1 Post By broszzy
  • 1 Post By Knorm65

Thread: Tools and parts to bring with you in your Opel

Real Name
    Henry Padlo
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tools and parts to bring with you in your Opel

I know I read a post in the past, but I just can't seem to find it. Anyway, I plan on taking a long trip with my Opel Gt and wanting a good part / tool list that I should take with me for the ride.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by badmaxdog View Post
    I know I read a post in the past, but I just can't seem to find it. Anyway, I plan on taking a long trip with my Opel Gt and wanting a good part / tool list that I should take with me for the ride.
    Tools:
    8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19mm sockets, spark plug socket, wrenches, rachet. Phillips and straight screwdrivers. Crescent wrench. Vice grips. Zip ties. Gloves. Wire strippers. Utility knife. Jack and lug wrench.

Supplies:
    Extra points and condensor (even if you have an electronic ignition). Fan belt. Small and large hose clamps. Extra piece of fuel line. Extra length of heater hose (24"). FUSES (though a nickel will work to bridge a fuse space but isn't recommended). A decent length of primary wire (5 feet should do). Wire connectors. Electrical tape. Duct tape (even though it is more evil than Satan). Can of fix a flat. Spare tire. Extra lugnuts for the spare if needed. Tarp to lay on.

I'm sure there are other suggestions.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ALWAYS carry a spare Water pump (with Gasket and Sealer), Fan Belt, Radiator Hoses, Fuel Pump, Points/Condensor, and Rain-X (along with tools).

Flip your spare tire upside down, and keep these in the rim.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found out going to Springfield last year, a bottle of radiator Stop Leak can be needed! Even though all my hoses were new, same on the water pump, and a fresh recored radiator in the GT, pot holes on I 39 south jarred everything enough that the fan nipped the radiator just enough to cut a tube. (A stock fan probably would not have done damage but I have an aluminum "flex fan" on the car where the blades "flatten" out at higher rpm, supposedly cutting resistance and adding h.p.) Hated to gunk up the system with stop leak but had no choice. Flushed everything out as soon as I got home and had the radiator repaired properly.
    Add a flash light to the list of tools.

Member 1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used a wire coat hanger more than once in an emergency... just fold it up and it takes up very little space. Oh, and you might want to add a fuel filter, plugs, wires and coil to your list...
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads
    My only road failure with an Opel was with a NOS fuel pump on my 1.1L GT, where the press in collar that holds the check valve bits in place backed out or wasn't assembled fully. Now I keep a plastic quart lawnmower fuel tank and 3 feet of fuel line in the car for long trips. Put the tank on the cowl and run the line under the hood to let fuel gravity feed to the engine. This gives you enough drive time to get off a busy road for a better repair.
    Last edited by 73Manta72gt; 04-08-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Real Name
    Melissa
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My dad got me a AAA card and new tires for my bday. my friends think its weird lol. my first car was a bug so I like driving old sticks. my automatic buick century is nice but i like downshifting around corners i like these posts. im going on road trip next summer in My Opel. it runs excellent but needs paint.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it runs well it doesn't need paint. If it does not run well it needs paint.

Anyone interested in a 4-courners Opel run/caravan/safari?

Phillips and slotted screwdriver, 10 & 13 mm wrenches, pliers, any special lug nut adapter in case you have non-standard lug nuts (the roadside assistance guys may need it), flashlight(s) and most important of all:

either a AAA Card, Hagerty Insurance Card (with road service assistance), or other form of roadside assistance card.

(we don't even have a spare tire on board, Hagerty card is our spare)
    Lifes too short to drive boring cars or drink boring beers. Just don't do them at the same time.

No boring cars:
    1973 Opel GT
    The non-Opel Collection:
    1966 Lotus Elan S2/SE
    1968 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3
    1968 Mercedes-Benz 280S
    1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
    1973 Triumph TR6
    1973 Porsche 914
    1979 Triumph Spitfire with GT6+ conversion = "Spit6"
    2003 Jaguar XKR
    2005 Lotus Elise

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't forget the cell phone..
    DrinkMan likes this.
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/images/misc/blitz.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy Mudtracks View Post
    My dad got me a AAA card and new tires for my bday. my friends think its weird lol. my first car was a bug so I like driving old sticks. my automatic buick century is nice but i like downshifting around corners i like these posts. im going on road trip next summer in My Opel. it runs excellent but needs paint.
    Hi Melissa, what Opel do you have? I see you are from Milwaukee.
    Greater Milwaukee Opels (GMO) Wisconsin, we try to get together a few times a year. You are more then welcome to join us when we do, a big group of Opel weirdos, you will fit right in. Pete has a annual car show in Kenosha around June too.

Pat
    Foxy Mudtracks likes this.

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads

Travel tools

Around town I have a small Velcro glove box from a 83 TA, with the basic 10, 11,12,13,14,15, mm wrench, sm flat & phillips, elec. tape, fuses, plugs,... NOW on a road trip., upper, & lower rad. hose, 5/8 & 3/8 hose, 1 gal. water, 1 gal. antifreeze, 1 qt. oil, 10-17 mm sockets & wrenches, water pump, fuel pump elec. & stock, alt, 8 plugs, points, cond., rotor & cap, coil, fan belt, voltage reg., light bulbs, duct tape, tire plug repair kit, air pump and some other small misc. items. All this fits into a small gym bag, on the long trips. My friends say it is over kill, but it's not really just for me, mine is new, well 15000 mi. , I usually travel with several other Opel's, and just try to find a part for our GT's along the hwy You never know, peace of mind. As the old saying goes...... FAILURE TO PREPARE, IS PREPARING TO FAIL

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poor gt View Post
    As the old saying goes...... FAILURE TO PREPARE, IS PREPARING TO FAIL
    Agree. Despite all attention, these are 40+ years old cars. GT has a lot of space under the rear deck, so to carry spare parts is not a problem. You might never need them but you might help fellow Opeler in trouble.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's good karma too P.J.,

Real Name
    Melissa
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry broszzy, i don't come on here much. hopefully I will be if I get a nice GT. the one I had has a rebuilt engine, but my dad says too much rust under the carpet and by the battery.

We're saving it for parts, but don't drive it anymore. My dad is in Cudahy, and I am more towards Slinger. But work in the city at VA hospital

Hope to see some Opels this summer. me and my dad went on a roadtrip to an Iowa car show and there were no Opels! Loooong drive.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 10-31-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tire plug kit, one of those plug in the cig lighter compressors, and like anon said, flip the spare and put stuff in there.

The jumper cables go in a bag next to it.
    I'm just another Opel Rehab Failure.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a floor jack. 100 piece mechanics tool set, 2 towels, duct tape, 4ft of fuel line and a backup mechanical fuel pump, water pump, grease (for emergency gasket changes), wd40, starter fluid, 3qts of oil, enough coolant to fill the radiator, a combined battery powered compressor and battery jumper, extra return springs for clutch and throttle, brake fluid, rubber mallet, cheater bar and finally a bag of slightly worn points and condensers, my old coil and 20 ft of electrical wire.
    Everything but the tool case is hidden in my package tray or in the spare tire area. Opel GTs have a crap ton of storage!
    poor gt (R.I.P) likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No matter how few tools I carry in my GT for local trips, I always have my cell phone and Auto Club of Southern California membership card.
    Nothing better than a flatbed tow truck when you need one.

Thread Information