If you're not going to maintain the site, sell it back to the community
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: If you're not going to maintain the site, sell it back to the community

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you're not going to maintain the site, sell it back to the community

Seriously for a month now no matter the location, computer or browser.. I am welcomed with a broken website.

Until I double click HOME. Not Forum, not User, etc.. those just go on to tell me the link doesnt exist.

Image problems, not keeping up to date with the latest addons, old photo functions, etc.. etc.. etc..

You have done NOTHING with the website of use since you took over, except cover it in spam..

It was a SERIOUS mistake handing over the website to your company.

Please give us a price so we can take it back and maintain it properly if your not going too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As I've reported for a long time now, to access this site, I'm taken to a white page filled with command prompts (if that is the right terminology I used here). I double click on HOME (in blue letters and it takes me to the site proper). Then I can navigate about the site with no other issues.

For those complaints, not one post by Administration, telling me and others with the same issue that they are working on it....they have fixed it. Nothing. Only response back was from Gary on two occasions, which while it explained the issue in computerese language, it did nothing for my or other's issues logging in.

If this were a pay per view site, this would be time for a refund back to the customers. But it's not. I suspect the relatively little foot traffic it brings in compared to their other sites means it gets minimal attention these days.
    Ooooner, soybean and Paul M like this.

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I occasionally spend time on a site called Ferrarichat. It looks just like this site, but operates correctly. I wonder if it is operated by the same people as opelgt.com or if they just share the same software? Either way, that tells me that this site could operate correctly if those in charge chose to make it a priority.
    soybean likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know, guys, but I am having no trouble with the website. I have this as my "favorite" shortcut that gets me right to the forum:
    https://www.opelgt.com/index.php

Having read the above comments, I paged through all of the links and the only one that does not seem to work is "Events" where the message is that there are no events posted.

I am not enough of a computer geek to know anything, but is there an issue with your computer? And I apologize if this is not helpful.
    jmbinjax likes this.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably the same software. They never changed the software the site is based on, but they also have never upgraded it.

I am serious, I would like to know what it would cost to buy it back from them. Over the years this has gotten ridiculous.

If we aren't worth thier time to maintain, we get it.. we will gladly take it back.

As far as I know http://classicopels.com/ is running the updated version of this software. With support to hold larger pictures, drag and drop pictures, etc.. etc.. etc.. etc..

I am willing to bet if they were to offer for us to buy it back, we would come up with the money.

This site was great years ago.. now its missing out on upgrades and all sort of things.. its ridiculous.
    Last edited by GoinManta; 09-11-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    & many many other Opels

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I sometimes check out 4 other sites: VW, Opel Monza/Senator, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice.

Our site is WAY better, even with our glitches. One of the biggest differences is that our site allows virtually unlimited amounts of pictures to be posted and the "mostly" long term storage of them. I'm probably the all-time leader when it comes to picture posting on this site. I'm sure I've posted at least 10,000 pictures, 6000 at the barest minimum. Virtually all are still here. One difference in my pics, that others probably don't bother to do, is that I shrink all my pics to 300-500KB and convert them all to JPEG's. That seems to be the internet standard and it saves a lot of data storage space. That's 1/4 of the size my pics are when freshly taken. Shrinking my pics to the internet standard also allows me to have saved virtually all of those 10,000 pics in my computer without nuking my harddrive.

So, I'm thinking this site's managers are using an algorithm that deletes seldom viewed large data files, like pics.

As far as other issues on this site, just blame it on my Gordo's GTX thread......

jmbinjax likes this.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    I don't know, guys, but I am having no trouble with the website. I have this as my "favorite" shortcut that gets me right to the forum:
    https://www.opelgt.com/index.php

Having read the above comments, I paged through all of the links and the only one that does not seem to work is "Events" where the message is that there are no events posted.

I am not enough of a computer geek to know anything, but is there an issue with your computer? And I apologize if this is not helpful.
    Yes IF you link to index.php no problem..

BUT just type opelgt.com and see what you get.
    opellane and MikeNotigan like this.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    & many many other Opels

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    I sometimes check out 4 other sites: VW, Opel Monza/Senator, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice.

Our site is WAY better, even with our glitches. One of the biggest differences is that our site allows virtually unlimited amounts of pictures to be posted and the "mostly" long term storage of them. I'm probably the all-time leader when it comes to picture posting on this site. I'm sure I've posted at least 10,000 pictures, 6000 at the barest minimum. Virtually all are still here. One difference in my pics, that others probably don't bother to do, is that I shrink all my pics to 300-500KB and convert them all to JPEG's. That seems to be the internet standard and it saves a lot of data storage space. That's 1/4 of the size my pics are when freshly taken. Shrinking my pics to the internet standard also allows me to have saved virtually all of those 10,000 pics in my computer without nuking my harddrive.

So, I'm thinking this site's managers are using an algorithm that deletes seldom viewed large data files, like pics.

As far as other issues on this site, just blame it on my Gordo's GTX thread......

Our site is way better due to content and nutcases like you

It could be WAY better if upgraded and fixed.. ALA ClassicOpels.com which if we got it back it would be.
    The Scifi Guy and MikeNotigan like this.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    & many many other Opels

Downloads
    Uploads
    It doesn't matter how broken the site is, the fact is that it's broken.

If you click your alert tab at the top, and are on the index.php page, it takes you to your profile.
    If you click it from a forum page, you go to the proper link.

The site is broken and has been for MONTHS. It's irresponsible and if I owned the company that currently owns this site, someone would be getting fired (although I doubt there's any "paid" employees sometimes).

As others have said. Let's hear a price already.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    Yes IF you link to index.php no problem..

BUT just type opelgt.com and see what you get.
    This site is on my Google page, one of my go-to Thumbnails. Everytime I click the thumbnail to come here, I get the white page.

So I thought, let me just type in OpelGT.com to see what happens.

It does the same thing it has been doing before, for a good long time. I get the White Page.

Gordo: It's not a question of how many photos you've posted (btw, I can't post pictures anymore like I once could. Now, when I click the photo icon, it tells me to type in a URL instead of taking me to my Pictures section of my computer)..........it's a matter of not being taken to the home page when you go to this site. Instead, many of us have to click on HOME on that white page we get....

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post
    This site is on my Google page, one of my go-to Thumbnails. Everytime I click the thumbnail to come here, I get the white page.

So I thought, let me just type in OpelGT.com to see what happens.

It does the same thing it has been doing before, for a good long time. I get the White Page.

Gordo: It's not a question of how many photos you've posted (btw, I can't post pictures anymore like I once could. Now, when I click the photo icon, it tells me to type in a URL instead of taking me to my Pictures section of my computer)..........it's a matter of not being taken to the home page when you go to this site. Instead, many of us have to click on HOME on that white page we get....
    Hit paperclip to attach pictures
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    & many many other Opels

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "you're"

I'm not having any problems with the broken stuff, but they still should not be there.

My main complaint is that this looks so dated, and clunky, and cheap, and clumsy, especially when viewed on wide monitors, which pretty much everyone has.
    GoinManta likes this.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as I know Forum - Alt-Opel.US is running the updated version of this software. With support to hold larger pictures, drag and drop pictures, etc.. etc.. etc.. etc..
    FWIW, classicopels.com is running on a German program Called Woltlab Suites.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Again, the "Home" page we use is an add-on product that requires the /index.php url. (this version of vBulletin defaults to the forum page) That link was lost during the last security update.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hit paperclip to attach pictures
    Charles, thank you. Yep, that seems to do the trick.

Mike
    soybean likes this.

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    convert your bookmark to include .index/php or whatever and quiturbitchin

lol.

I always understood this site as a patchwork of different forums and upgrades and this is why it doesnt work perfect. not agadmins fault.

there is probably very little ad click revenue from u cheap bassturds, so the squeaky wheel causing too much grease, in this story... time $ towards all the bitchin. they might as well fold up shop.

this site even with the annoying nuances is still a blessing.

I have also always converted my pics to fit the site versus 3rd party hosting. so i dont have to much to be mad about. not that anyone reads my content anyways.

I could completely understand why the anger when tons of great informative posts became near moot without pics. ala charles.
    kwilford, soybean and jmbinjax like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post

lol.

I always understood this site as a patchwork of different forums and upgrades and this is why it doesnt work perfect. not agadmins fault.

there is probably very little ad click revenue from u cheap bassturds, so the squeaky wheel causing too much grease, in this story... time $ towards all the bitchin. they might as well fold up shop.

I have also always converted my pics to fit the site versus 3rd party hosting. so i dont have to much to be mad about. not that anyone reads my content anyways.

I could completely understand why the anger when tons of great informative posts became near moot without pics. ala charles.

I for one am doing my part and "clicking" and the beautiful woman pics!! However, I agree with Charles.. the site has been whacked out when trying to load

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post

lol.

Problem is that anyone new who comes along will take a look at the bad front page and move on. It looks abandoned.

Seems like any tech should be able to to redirect opelgt.com to opelgt.com/index.php in about five minutes.
    GoinManta likes this.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    Problem is that anyone new who comes along will take a look at the bad front page and move on. It looks abandoned.

Seems like any tech should be able to to redirect opelgt.com to opelgt.com/index.php in about five minutes.
    thats the best way to sum all this up right there. I did not think of it this way.

me forgets any normal new guy is going to just type opelgt.com and think defunct.

Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm having the same issues as Charles. Besides the broken web page, when I click on a thread it will take me to a white page and say URL not found.... VERY ANNOYING I have to hit the back button and re-click the link and sometimes repeat this 2 & 3 times.

Like others have said, this has been going on for months. GET YO ****Z TOGETHERS SITE PEOPLE!!! We have a wackadodle that will be unleash if this isn't corrected

Kind regards,

David
    dsmith and MikeNotigan like this.
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast