E Brake Handles Available. - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: E Brake Handles Available.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 69opelmi View Post
    They look great. Does anyone have a solution for sticky e-brake release buttons? e.g. adding a stronger stronger spring etc?
    If someone has the above solution, please post, pictures, and how this problem was resolved. Thank you, Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    If someone has the above solution, please post, pictures, and how this problem was resolved. Thank you, Jarrell
    I looked in the service manual for help trying to figure this out. The spring looks to fit very close to the brake lever. Any rust in that area would create problems. there is also a control rod that's in the brake lever and it starts at the push button at the end of the brake lever and runs down to a Pawl. The rod comes pretty close to the end of the lever. The rod operates the pawl, there is stop plate (bolts into the entire assembly). The pawl looks to have a shaft that actually engages, or disengages the parking brake. Any rust on any of these spots will cause the E brake operate poorly (if at all).

If spraying PB Blaster on the inside of the lever from the "push button" does not work, the I would imagine you would have to take the entire assembly apart to get at the control rod and the pawl. I would suggest that if you have to take it apart to fix it, that you disassemble the entire parking brake and use very fine sandpaper to get rid of the rust. If there is no rust, I am perplexed.

Bob
    soybean and dpre like this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I managed to further break mine by putting oil on the button. DO NOT USE A PETROLEUM BASED OIL ON THE BUTTON. The rubber swelled and the mechanism went from sticky to frozen. I pulled it apart, and boiled the button in water to help lift out the oils. Then I gently sanded the OD spinning it in a drill press and reassembled it. It works OK now. I did use some light oil then grease in the metal portions of the linkage.

I sprayed some STP rubber protectant on the button when I was done, which seemed to loosed it up a bit more.
    Last edited by 69opelmi; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:46 PM.
    soybean likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Good afternoon. I have several E Brake handles available, I am attaching a picture with the quantities available. The cost post paid is $30. The price of the exotic woods is unbelievable. If you would like one (or more), please do a PM to me with your full name and address, I will answer with my email address for Paypal payments. If you don't have Paypal, the U.S. mail will work, but it will take a little longer. I have Walnut wood that I am going to turn and make the E brake handles, but only enough wood for two.

Thanks, Bob
    Which one is the olive wood handle? (If you have the stock steering wheel it would be a great choice). Is the steering wheel still available? just give the total, shoot me the address, via PM, I'm gone at nine, I'll hang around til 10, cause ya'll boys like to sleep in out there., Just messing with ya, no harm, no foul, oh, Bump, Take care, Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 69opelmi View Post
    I managed to further break mine by putting oil on the button. DO NOT USE A PETROLEUM BASED OIL ON THE BUTTON. The rubber swelled and the mechanism went from sticky to frozen. I pulled it apart, and boiled the button in water to help lift out the oils. Then I gently sanded the OD spinning in in a drill press and reassembled it. It works OK now. I did use some light oil then grease in the metal portions of the linkage.

I sprayed some STP rubber protectant on the button when I was done, which seemed to loosed it up a bit more.
    Morning bump, Hi Bob, check your PM inbox. Thank you Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I received my Tulip handle yesterday. It's a work of art! Can't wait to try it on.

Wes

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by krewzer View Post
    I received my Tulip handle yesterday. It's a work of art! Can't wait to try it on.

Wes
    Thanks, I am glad you like it. Just a side note on tulipwood: I bought the piece of wood probably 10 years ago. The tulipwood handles turned out to be very popular. So I went online to find it, some companies had tulipwood, but only 1/4 inch thick. I looked for about an hour and no one has the size I need. The company that I bought it from doesn't carry it at all. The lumber that was 1/4 inch x 3.5 inches , by three feet long was priced at $89.00 plus shipping. Oh well, it might be rare, but it was just sitting in a cabinet for years, I am glad it worked out. Please post pictures after you install the tulipwood handle.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Chris
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My e-brake handle was cracked but still all there. I superglued it and had my upholsterer wrap or in leather. Done and beautiful 😃
    soybean and tealcarver like this.

Real Name
    Chris
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry Bob, that being said, your handles are gorgeous and if I had seen them I may have picked one up from you. 👍🏼

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I just want to get this message to the top of the forum threads.

Bob
    I had a good speech setup and was about to post but, anyhow it takes a lot of time and effort to do, so if you want one, you'd better get one, I think there is something about a steering wheel too, but last week was a long one for me. So I guess as of yesterday, I am retired and I am tired, so I get to work, like Bob, on what I want, when I want, so I can do what I want. I want to start working on my Gt. So hopefully I will have on the outside pad, by tomorrow night. Then I get to move indoors, turn on my heat and it's been a long time getting here.

So buy an E brake handle. You snooze, you loose. Take care, Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just received my parking brake handle today and it is absolutely beautiful. It matches my original steering wheel as if it was from factory. Bob does remarkable workmanship. If anyone is remotely thinking of replacing their parking brake handle, I would strongly encourage replacing with one of Bob's wooden handles. They are by no means cheaply made. Thanks Bob for making this handcrafted piece of art for my Opel. I will post pictures when installed.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by krewzer View Post

Wes
    Pictures? We want to see pictures.Thank you,Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I am glad you like it. Just a side note on tulipwood: I bought the piece of wood probably 10 years ago. The tulipwood handles turned out to be very popular. So I went online to find it, some companies had tulipwood, but only 1/4 inch thick. I looked for about an hour and no one has the size I need. The company that I bought it from doesn't carry it at all. The lumber that was 1/4 inch x 3.5 inches , by three feet long was priced at $89.00 plus shipping. Oh well, it might be rare, but it was just sitting in a cabinet for years, I am glad it worked out. Please post pictures after you install the tulipwood handle.

Bob
    Ya'll see there. [/QUOTE] The tulipwood handles turned out to be very popular. So I went online to find it, some companies had tulipwood, but only 1/4 inch thick. I looked for about an hour and no one has the size I need. The company that I bought it from doesn't carry it at all. The lumber that was 1/4 inch x 3.5 inches , by three feet long was priced at $89.00 plus shipping. Oh well, it might be rare, but it was just sitting in a cabinet for years, I am glad it worked out.[/QUOTE] Last one for the night. You're 3 hrs behind me, Bye, Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by manta mania View Post
    Sorry Bob, that being said, your handles are gorgeous and if I had seen them I may have picked one up from you.
    Yep, I'd be cussing, well that's the way the ball bounces. Jarrell

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My e-brake handle arrived yesterday. Kudos to Bob! Really great work and it fits perfectly. Here’s a pic of it in the GT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ejota; 1 Week Ago at 02:11 PM.
    soybean, tealcarver and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have two more wood varieties if any is interested. The picture is below. the top two are blood wood, the bottom two are osage orange. Hope these work for someone. I may have a good source for tulipwood, I am checking that out today, if not too expensive I will get some. I will post pictures of that once they are done. Glad that the comments have been great from the people that bought them, thanks.

Bob
    dpre likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I received and installed my parking brake handle from Bob. What a beautiful piece of workmanship.
    Thanks again Bob for making this possible for us Opeler's

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ejota View Post
    My e-brake handle arrived yesterday. Kudos to Bob! Really great work and it fits perfectly. Here’s a pic of it in the GT.
    Where did you get the shift knob? Thank you, Jarrell

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upE-brake handle

Quote Originally Posted by manta mania View Post
    Sorry Bob, that being said, your handles are gorgeous and if I had seen them I may have picked one up from you. 👍🏼
    Chris, I have a question. At the end of the above, what does 👍🏼, mean? Here is the morning bump Bob. Wow you are cold. Got snow?https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fa...orecast/334439, Jarrell
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Where did you get the shift knob? Thank you, Jarrell
    My GT came with this shift knob already in it, but it's an AMCO Walnut shift knob. Once in a while they pop up on eBay. The insignia is cracked a bit on mine and isn't perfect like the pics from this thread: https://www.opelgt.com/forums/genera...hift-knob.html
    dpre and terrylewisac like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information