E Brake Handles Available. - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: E Brake Handles Available.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BOB, WOW I thought this handle looked good in picture.
    SHOOT seeing it in person is an entirely different ball game.
    I can't stop looking at it very very nice
    thank you thank you thank you
    soybean and dpre like this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Terry, glad you like it. Is it in your GT yet? I should have sent all the packages priority mail, only one lost and he got the replacement handles today. Oh well, I guess you take a chance with the post office. I was going to send it UPS until I found out I coule mail both packages for the price UPS want to ship one.

Bob
    soybean, dpre and terrylewisac like this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Senior Contributor Site Supporter opellane's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Terry, glad you like it. Is it in your GT yet? I should have sent all the packages priority mail, only one lost and he got the replacement handles today. Oh well, I guess you take a chance with the post office. I was going to send it UPS until I found out I coule mail both packages for the price UPS want to ship one.

Bob

Yep, It was me, I had a wave of Bad Luck come,, and Go..Some Black Clouds . The Post Office Lost My Package with my two Walnut Handles..
    Boy oh Boy I've been wait Long Time... was worried the second package won't make it passed Reno... again.. (dam walnut handle postal grinches lol)

But Bob There Here,, Finally Nice Job.. Holy Cow these are Hefty pc. of wood.. nice grain mum
    Soo I ran down to the Garage made a temporary Fit on the GT. Needs to be Epoxy to make permanent

The Emergency Brake Boot are premium Leather and come in a bunch of different stitch colors .. Perfect fit as you can see.. a little pricey..oh well posted the link to share
    black, white,yellow,blue,red,gray,, and even purple ?

White E-Brake Boot in my GT
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-STITC...3/231705833534

Black E-Brake Boot Leather
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-STITC...oAAOSwFnFWC7uL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT, 1969 Opel GT, 1973 MGB,

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, your GT looks great. Thanks for being patient during the USPS mess up. Glad it got there. a little late, but it got there. Crowning touch for an interior as nice as yours.

Mike: I just ordered the leather boot with yellow stitching. (My GT is Chrome Yellow) When I saw the picture of yours I knew I had to have it. Right now I am running a Maro wood handle, but I might just turn some leopardwood, looks interesting or may go back to cocobolo. The boot is a nice addition to my GT, thanks for posting the link. Are those stock seats? Just put stock seats back in the GT. I like the wood too, may even try that.

Bob
    Last edited by tealcarver; 11-21-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opellane View Post
    But Bob There Here,, Finally Nice Job.. Holy Cow these are Hefty pc. of wood.. nice grain mum
    Soo I ran down to the Garage made a temporary Fit on the GT. Needs to be Epoxy to make permanent

Maybe a good way to attach a new E-Brake handle would be to attach them like new golf club grips. Wrap the shaft with the special double sided, sticky tape, apply acetone or lacquer thinner to the tape to make the glue slippery, then just push the new handle on over the tape and wait few minutes for the glue to set. Not as permanent as epoxy, but very effective.

edit: Belay this idea! The gooey glue from the tape might just glue the button in place as well as the handle. I really shouldn't post stuff late at night!
    Last edited by SpringGT; 11-21-2019 at 05:01 AM. Reason: clarification

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Yep, It was me, I had a wave of Bad Luck come,, and Go..Some Black Clouds . The Post Office Lost My Package with my two Walnut Handles..
    Boy oh Boy I've been wait Long Time... was worried the second package won't make it passed Reno... again.. (dam walnut handle postal grinches lol)

The Emergency Brake Boot are premium Leather and come in a bunch of different stitch colors .. Perfect fit as you can see.. a little pricey..oh well posted the link to share
    black, white,yellow,blue,red,gray,, and even purple ?

Black E-Brake Boot Leather
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-STITC...oAAOSwFnFWC7uL
    Nice console Mike, You can hardly see mine because the Armrest, covers it up. The E brake, doesn't hit it though. I have to pull the Ebrake this winter, as my button is stuck. The link you posted should get me in the ballpark for the cover. Can't purchase anything at this time, as projects are piling up behind me. I still haven't fixed my Gt yet after the Nationals fiasco. I hope to have most of it fixed this afternoon. At least enough to get out of the Garage. Take care, I'll get pictures to you today. Jarrell
    tealcarver likes this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, your GT looks great. Thanks for being patient during the USPS mess up. Glad it got there. a little late, but it got there. Crowning touch for an interior as nice as yours.

Mike: I just ordered the leather boot with yellow stitching. (My GT is Chrome Yellow) When I saw the picture of yours I knew I had to have it. Right now I am running a Maro wood handle, but I might just turn some leopardwood, looks interesting or may go back to cocobolo. The boot is a nice addition to my GT, thanks for posting the link. Are tose stock seats? Just put stock seats back in the GT. I like the wood too, may even try that.

Bob
    Thanks Bob, The Handles look Great.. Go for the E-brake Leather Boot you won't be disappointed I must find a way to cement them on the steel post. Maybe the golf club grip idea like Spring GT mentioned but be very vigilant of getting glue in button area. Right now held in place with blk rubber electrician and friction tape. Wanted to ask ..how did you finish the piece? the handle is so smooth ..have you polished it with buffing wheel?
    or really.really fine sandpaper... the finish is awesome dude ��

The seats I have are Pontiac Fiero ,(( try keeping my GT/ GM...lol), Fiero Seats are getting harder to find in the salvage yards.. There are a few places online that just make seat Kits,,, and that's all they do.. Fiero,Mazda,Recaro's,etc,, I've tried a bunch different seat combo's and find for me.my height..etc..That the Fiero Seats are the most comfortable and nice looking seat.. Just my personal opinion here ... I have made two tone Fiero's in my yellow and black in my other GT.

The wood in the console.. e brake I recommend trace the area,, than cut out the pattern on some 14 or 12 gauge steel sheet metal... than have that covered in a nice hard wood veneer.. Cemented to the sheetmetal.. than glue or Velcro in the console.. than the wood will never crack and no screw holes to show.. easy to clean too ...JMHO
    Last edited by opellane; 11-21-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    soybean, tealcarver, dpre and 1 others like this.
    MIKE

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, Thanks for the suggestion. I believe I have a piece of cocobolo about 4 inches wide and about 3/4 of an inch thick. I will have to cut it down to 1/4 inch thick. The metal part I never would have thought of, but it's a great idea. I now plan to do the wood, but with all the other things going, it will remain on my "to do list". Well along with the wife's to do list for me. I will eventually get it done, no time table yet.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Bob, The Handles look Great.. Go for the E-brake Leather Boot you won't be disappointed I must find a way to cement them on the steel post. Maybe the golf club grip idea like Spring GT mentioned but be very vigilant of getting glue in button area. Right now held in place with blk rubber electrician and friction tape. Wanted to ask ..how did you finish the piece? the handle is so smooth ..have you polished it with buffing wheel?
    or really.really fine sandpaper... the finish is awesome dude ��

The wood in the console.. e brake I recommend trace the area,, than cut out the pattern on some 14 or 12 gauge steel sheet metal... than have that covered in a nice hard wood veneer.. Cemented to the sheetmetal.. than glue or Velcro in the console.. than the wood will never crack and no screw holes to show.. easy to clean too ...JMHO
    Mike they were fist brought down to almost the diameter of the handle with a lathe gouge. From there is was reduced with sandpaper starting at 80 grit and working down to 2500 grit. One the lathe is easy to do. They were then drilled with a 22mm all the way through the center. The finish is done with friction polish, really bring out the character of the wood. The harder the wood, the better the shine. The only maintenance on them is to wax them about every three months, and they will stay the same color and last forever.

Your pattern is the way to go, so that's on the project list.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, I liked your "tray" so I took a piece of cocobolo and cut it to fit, I have to glue two pieces of the cocobolo together. I am going to make a pattern using paper to make sure I cut it right the first time. Should fit well. There are some spaces near where the E Brake handle goes through, but that will be an easy fix. It's only about an eighth of an inch, but it's not perfect. The piece I have to fit is a weird angle so I decided that paper was cheaper than the wood. Hopefully I will get it done tomorrow. I plan to take pictures and should have they by tomorrow.

I forgot to put instructions in your box, all you have to do is fit the handle so it sits on the metal handle and mark the top with tape. Take it off and put a couple drops of epoxy glue on the metal part of the handle and slide the E Brake handle on with the tape up. It will hold forever.

Bob
    Last edited by tealcarver; 11-22-2019 at 01:27 AM.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, I tried to put the cocobolo on the tray, like you did. Well that was strike one. So now I am going to make it one piece. That's where I screwed up trying to make it out of two pieces. The center seam didn't get cut straight so there are gaps when the two sides are put in. Close, but no cigar. I think I am going to order some veneer wood and shouldn't have any problems. Besides, they come in packages of four, so I have three chances to screw it up.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, I tried to put the cocobolo on the tray, like you did. Well that was strike one. So now I am going to make it one piece. That's where I screwed up trying to make it out of two pieces. The center seam didn't get cut straight so there are gaps when the two sides are put in. Close, but no cigar. I think I am going to order some veneer wood and shouldn't have any problems. Besides, they come in packages of four, so I have three chances to screw it up.

Bob

Bob, Go with the Veneer wood... I had 1/8 Walnut from Mid-west Hobby, glued epoxy together side by side,, seem like it want to snap
    then i covered the back in epoxy with heavy fiberglass cloth....keep it strong yep... snapped again

The solution for me was the metal backer plate,, and I found a Kitchen Carpenter shop that does Veneer Cabinets

I had the shop cover the metal... but I think that wood is really,really Thin... If you have the knack for veneer.. That's why I asked you about Veneer... They use a special commercial contact cement that really Strong and some heavy rollers to get the bubbles out.. makes the bond strong Good Luck
    Last edited by opellane; 11-23-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    soybean, tealcarver and dpre like this.
    MIKE

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike I really like your wood console. I'm sure Bob will construct something very nice as well

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try spraying some PB Blaster in the spot where the ring around the button is. That should go down into the area of the spring and loosen it up some so it works as normal. Was you GT store in a high humidity area? If the answer is yes, that's probably it. If you don't know for sure, it is still probably it.

Bob
    Per a prior post, I wouldn't squirt PB blaster on the button. THe rubber will swell and make it jam even tighter. You can apply grease to the mechanism if you remove the boot and mechanism.
    soybean, tealcarver and opellane like this.

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try spraying some PB Blaster in the spot where the ring around the button is. That should go down into the area of the spring and loosen it up some so it works as normal. Was you GT store in a high humidity area? If the answer is yes, that's probably it. If you don't know for sure, it is still probably it.

Bob
    Per a prior post, I wouldn't squirt PB blaster on the button. The rubber will swell and make it jam even tighter. You can apply grease to the linkage area if you remove the boot and mechanism.
    soybean and tealcarver like this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

E-Brake Handle

Bob, just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my E-Brake Handle. It looks great and matches my wood grained console. Thanks so much for taking the time to make them. Jarrell

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob
    Shoot Sorry Bob I skip right over this,
    No not yet I haven't really started inside stuff yet but am collecting stuff for when I'm ready
    I'm trying to keep focused on the mechanical & drive ability stuff in fact it's tuff keeping outa the drivers seat even with the front end out of it cause I keep wanting to start it up and listen to it pppuuurrr
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Bob, just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my E-Brake Handle. It looks great and matches my wood grained console. Thanks so much for taking the time to make them. Jarrell
    that matches up pretty darn good Jarrell
    now lets see how well it works at lets say oh I dunno 35 40 mph and spin that gt 180 degrees

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by terrylewisac View Post
    that matches up pretty darn good Jarrell
    now lets see how well it works at lets say oh I dunno 35 40 mph and spin that gt 180 degrees
    Hey, we know how to drift. I used to Autocross both my Manta and Gt. The Manta was way better drifting on the course. We did pretty good in E-Stock, only E-Prepared were we outclassed. Jarrell
    tealcarver and terrylewisac like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information