Stock GT seats and rails - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Stock GT seats and rails

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    Have you tried uship.com? Some don't like them but it has always come through for me.
    I have shipped cars through them but just seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Home
    Terms and Conditions of Purchase and Carriage

Weight: No single package will be accepted for transportation that exceeds one hundred (100) pounds in actual weight. Baggage in Express Service shipments may not exceed 75 pounds per piece.
    Unfortunately no greyhound destination near him for package express. Thanks for the tip though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bob, If nothing else works out, I have a good set of GT seat FRAMES that I can probably get to my friend's place in Stagecoach for no shipping charges in July! The cost of the seat will also be VERY reasonable! LOL I'm in Ireland (Galway) at this minute and won't be back until mid-June so can't supply any more info. -- Doug

PS - I still have to see your GT!
    tealcarver likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Bob, If nothing else works out, I have a good set of GT seat FRAMES that I can probably get to my friend's place in Stagecoach for no shipping charges in July! The cost of the seat will also be VERY reasonable! LOL I'm in Ireland (Galway) at this minute and won't be back until mid-June so can't supply any more info. -- Doug

PS - I still have to see your GT!
    Hey Doug, that sounds a lot better than the shipping. Are the seats black and do you have the rails? Let me know the price of the seats, I appreciate, let me know when you get back.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    MY gosh!!! cheapest quote so far for shipping seats is $225!!!!!! any suggestions?

pic for bob of naugehyde seats
    I would have to recover them, but that's not an issue, The shipping is the killer, I know you don't have anything to do with the shipping prices. When I did Gordo's Wooden GT, the shipping was around $65.00. I almost fell over.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    I have shipped cars through them but just seats?
    Sure, why not? I've shipped stuff like pressure washers and other bulky stuff this way. It's just freight.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Hey Doug, that sounds a lot better than the shipping. Are the seats black and do you have the rails? Let me know the price of the seats, I appreciate, let me know when you get back.

Bob
    Hey Bob, the seats WERE black or black and grey, but are not in good shape fabric-wise! I have added pics so you can see why I said "FRAMES". Also shown in a couple of pics are the seats that are in my GT now. Tight fit to the pass door but they do slide. I think that means that I used the rails but don't remember if I had extras or only the originals. -- Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Doug, so what kind of seats do you have in your GT? Any problems with your head touching the headliner? That is my main concern as the seats I have now are just a little bit high and my head touches. I am 6 feet and I don't remember getting close to the headliner, The seats that you have apper to be the same height of the stock seats.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bob contacted me about how I made my adapter/shims and I wanted to show a different way to configure them than the quicky way I originally did. Here is the last message I sent him:

<<< It was really straight forward basic modding, no rocket science involved. I was in a hurry and basic materials on hand were in short supply, so I used red oak hard wood I had laying around. I could just as easily, if not easier, used 1/8" strips of metal and stacked up a few washers to achieve the 3/4" height boost that is needed to prevent the belly of the seat from hitting the GT rear seat mount crossbar on the floor when you slide the seat back. Notice that I went straight across with a single piece of wood at the front of the seat and used two individual blocks of wood at the back. I would have just used two straight pieces of wood front and rear, but the belly clearance issue forced me make 2 individual blocks for the rear. You MUST make one or both of the shim crossbar seat adapters go all the way across and be in one piece. If you made all 4 an independent individual piece, the seat would tend to pivot and twist on those offset blocks over time. I chose to make a shim/adapter concept that went right-to-left across the floor, but I suppose you could make ones out of, say, 3" wide x 3/4" thick wood that went front to rear on each side instead. Then you could make both in one piece. In retrospect, maybe that would have been the simpler way to go and all 4 bolting locations would have been unified to prevent pivoting. It all depends on whether the belly will interfere. I'm going to repost this in the thread along with a picture of the alternate shim/adapter concept I'm trying to describe. >>>

So, the shim/adapter concept I came up with is limited or less than perfect due to having to provide clearance for the seat belly when you slide the seat back. If you didn't mind cutting out the middle of the GT rear seat mount crossbar on the floor for belly clearance, you could mount these seats without adding 3/4" of shimming to allow the belly to clear that crossbar. You could just use some 1/8" thick bar or sheet metal going straight down the sides to make the offset adapters. Since no one, unless they are really tall, would do this, a shimming concept using washers and the metal or wood like I used would be required.

This is the alternate way to configure the adapters:

Miata seats with GT rails (3) - alternate adapter concept.jpg

Using the concept above, no shimming would be required and the seats would be 3/4" lower if you made the adapters out of 1/8" metal of some sort. I actually feel kind of stupid, now, that I locked on to the right/left adapter idea. I seem to recall that originally I had 2 single pieces of going all the way across front and rear and I didn't discover that the belly would hit the rear one until I had bolted it all in place and tried to move the seat. So I probably just removed the rear one and cut the middle out of it and ended up with 2 individual pieces at the back.

Gosh, now I feel really stupid. I should redo them. In my present configuration, I sit about 3/4" higher than I would in an oem GT seat. I could fix that with a redo. Gosh I'm stupid.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 05-27-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    tealcarver likes this.

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What date of build this Miata NA seats have?
    I remember later ones have head rests.

Schöne Grüße an alle Flachkadetten!

Downloads
    Uploads

Seats

If you are still looking for seats, I have a pair that I will sell cheep. They definitely need to be reupholstered but everything is there. I see you are in Nevada and I am in Utah. How convenient. Let me know
    tealcarver likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the offer, but I finally have seats, they are at the upholsterers now. I have to wait a while because he only works two days a week. Only shop in town and from what I heard from others, he is the best. I have the seats now with the sliders thanks to Dan in Washington, but I appreciate your offer. I probably should have posted on this thread that I got a pair in pretty fare shape, so the guy isn't going to have to do much to get them looking good. I bought the seat covers from Gil, they are really great, nice and thick, I would have put the covers on myself, but I finally figured out I was in over my head, sort of like my rewire job.

Bob
    dpre likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If I learned anything from this discussion, I will keep stock Opel seats in my GT.

Only issue is that my GT has buckskin interior.

Let us know how the seats look when finished. Pictures would be nice.

https://opelgtsource.com/search/2373/details
    They have seat covers in Off-White ("Buckskin").
    tealcarver and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lindsay, I will take pictures to show the fit, etc. Buckskin is available from OGTS, so if your seats need to be recovered, that's the way to go. The seat covers are not cheap, but well worth the quality of the materials, thickness etc. I will post pictures to this thread once I get the seats back. (my seats are black). I know that there are several seats that will fit in the GT, but after buying a set of seats for $650.00 several years back, I found my head hitting the headliner. The GT seats were made for the GT so no problems there. My ex disposed of the original seats after our divorce.

Bob
    Last edited by tealcarver; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:18 AM.
    Lindsay and dpre like this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bob glad I could help out and look forward to seeing pictures. Lindsay I agree, keep the stock seats, they aren't to bad.
    Dan

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Went by the upholsterer's shop, have to wait probably a month before the seats are done. The guy is the best, so I guess I will be waiting for a month. I will post pictures when I get the seats back.

Bob
    dpre likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, stopped by the upholsterer today, I have about two more weeks to wait. I will post pictures, as soon as I get them back.

Bob
    soybean likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can be very frustrating when you want to get that item mounted on the GT and you have to wait. Looking forward to the final product. Hang in there it will happen
    Dan
    soybean likes this.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, stopped by the upholsterer today, I have about two more weeks to wait. I will post pictures, as soon as I get them back.

Bob
    OK Bob, I'm waiting but I have to plan my trip!

Doug

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Doug, the pictures will be here for a long time, so enjoy your trip. The way my upholsterer works (two days a week) I will be lucky to get them by the second week of November. Have fun on your trip.

Bob
    dpre likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Doug, the pictures will be here for a long time, so enjoy your trip. The way my upholsterer works (two days a week) I will be lucky to get them by the second week of November. Have fun on your trip.

Bob
    That might work out well! The final El Mirage race of the year in the weekend of Nov 9-10. I might be able to head north to Stagecoach to see my friend there before I head home to AZ. I'll "pencil it in" and check with you before I finalize!

Doug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information