Sad but true racing story, well told.
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By m610
  • 2 Post By GTRoy
  • 1 Post By soybean
  • 2 Post By MikeNotigan
  • 1 Post By opelbits

Thread: Sad but true racing story, well told.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sad but true racing story, well told.

It's not about Opels. It's about the deadly 1955 Le Mans crash.

Link: https://youtu.be/22I7yJiOu0s

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, Good Show ! I wasn't expecting a 'cartoon' and almost didn't watch it, but glad I did.
    The 'story' was well told. The problem ; watching YouTube is like potato chips, I can't have only one.
    So Monday eve was spent, gone forever. I didn't say wasted.... There were other videos about 1955.
    ..One is Mike Hawthorn driving the Circuit in '56 (?) at speed with local traffic on the road, almost funny.
    Another has Juan Fangio at Laguna Seca in 1985, He was my hero in the '50s-'60 and I missed seeing that.

John Fitch was featured in that '55 video, He did a lot for racing and highway safety in the following years.
    Maybe you have seen 'A Gullwing at Twightlight, The Bonneville Ride of John Fitch".
    ...I think I recorded that back when copying from cable TV was easy, it was on PBS. It's still available.
    soybean and dpre like this.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was a good "Video" I was amazed that Mercedes pulled out for so many years. Neat to find this piece of "Racing History". Thanks Mike, Jarrell
    dpre likes this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting I to wasn't expecting a cartoon, but captured my attention and oddly enough I watched until the end.
    Thanks Mike

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The cartoon was tastefully done, avoiding the carnage that occured. For that, there are the British Pathe news pieces on youtube that show the crash in real time. Literally 1 or 2 seconds; those in the crowd never had a chance avoiding the caterpaulting engine block, hood or rear axle, literally mowing down the crowd.

There is an alternate view of the race cars up to the point where the Mercedes was cut off and becomes airborne as it hit's the dirt embankment near the stands. The film cuts out the moment the race car is hurtling towards whomever was behind the camera. I can't imagine who filmed this scene, survived.

A few years back, Carl Edwards in his Ford Nascar race car, got airborne after being nudged at near 200 mph at the Talledega Super Speedway. Amazingly, the tall catch fence and the wall prevented his car from going into the crowd. I differ with those who think motor racing is not a sport. It's one of the few events where a paying spectator can come and watch where life and death is just a couple inches away from both driver and race fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7lfK7IOmk4
    m610 and dpre like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's amazing how many people interested in motorsports do not know about the 55 LeMans. The film from it is horrible to watch and even changed the attitude of a couple people I know that like to watch 'crash' videos. I suppose someday someone will feel compelled to make a movie about it.
    MikeNotigan likes this.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Thread Information