2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest, Springfield IL. Sept. 27-29 - Page 5
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Will You Attend

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attend with Opel

13 68.42%
  • Attend without Opel

5 26.32%
  • Dinner with Group Friday & Saturday

6 31.58%
  • Dinner with Group Saturday Only

2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: 2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest, Springfield IL. Sept. 27-29

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    Scott
    If you can hang around we may could make it there Sunday after the awards.
    I'd be down with that if Eric can do it. I don't want to put him out.
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Opelmel View Post
    OK, we've gone from taking the Miata, to the Mustang, to the F-150. All of the stuff is coming, so be prepared to sort through and take stuff home.
    For a different reason I've gone from my GT to my Manta to my Charger for the trip. I'm looking at the weather and temperatures for the weekend and as much as I'd like to bring an Opel I know the Charger will be more comfortable for the long ride. Guess I'll decide tomorrow.
    tomking and manta73wi like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been watching the weather closely, hard to know what to think. We were supposed to have rain yesterday but it was a dry day here. From what I am seeing on local TV it should not be a total washout weekend. The heavier rain may stay to the north of Springfield and the rain we get may be in between event stuff. Could be something of a Carlisle weekend only warmer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

tomking
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anyone coming to the show want a NEW weber 32/36 DGEV with breather for $200 to pick up at the show?
    TMK

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm saddled up and riding out of town in 10 minutes (3am).

Dieter

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Leaving Wisconsin by noon

I hope everyone has a safe and trouble free drive to the event (and DRY)

Gerri and I are near my Daughters in Elkhorn, Wi. and plan on leaving by noon. It is supposed to be about a 4 hour drive. We will check in to the La Quinta then make our way to the Rte 66 Hotel to meet the group.
    We expect to be there in time to go to Dinner with the group.
    Is it still at Motorheads??? what time???
    Craig Roberts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright folks, let's get this party started.

Not sure if I will get the chance to post again during the week end, I will be around the Hotel sometime after noon to help as I can.

Craig, We will try to leave from the Hotel for dinner by 6:00 pm.

The weather seems to be more North of Springfield for most of today. Possible Showers around noon and then a little heavier after 10:00 pm this evening and maybe before we head downtown tomorrow. All of this is a toss up, we are often told it will rain in the area and then Springfield gets little to none. It has been a long time since we have had real rain during this event so maybe we are due. Opeler's can handle it. I have been at Carlisle when it rained all day on a Saturday. Anyway let's cross our fingers and hope for the best while we enjoy the weekend.

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Made it to Springfield

I arrived at the La Quinta at 4:00 and will head over to the RTE. 66 hotel in an hour to meet up with the rest of the group. I did see another Opeler here with a Manta in the parking lot. See you all shortly.
    Craig Roberts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a quick post.
    Weather in Springfield has been dry as a bone, for those coming in from up north not so much. Most had stories of heavy rain storms. Good news is we have a large group. I think we had something like 30 folks show for dinner at Motor Heads. Food was good, service maybe not so much. I think we have 10 Opels with a few more to show tomorrow. So far it looks like weather will be okay for Saturdays run to downtown.
    Gary, Gordy and lezliewk (R.I.P.) like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awards

2019 Mother Road Awards

Main stage Awards
    1ST Place= David Eyles Red GT
    2ND Place= Scott Mood Silver GT
    3RD Place= Gordy Klug Yellow GT

Participant Awards

Best GT= Scott Mood
    Best Manta/Ascona= Jeff Widder
    Best Kadett/Other= Tom King
    Tom Cavataio Award (Longest Drive to Show in an Opel)= David Eyles
    Gary, Gordy, kevinfier and 4 others like this.

tomking
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to thank John and Connie for organizing and doing the leg work to host us. It was great to once again attend with all you friends from our Opel community. I enjoyed attending after a 7 year absence.Thanks to Don Harrold and Mike Mann for suggesting we make the trip. Thanks to Bill Hoffman and Kevin Fier for stopping to help get my car repaired as we got close to downtown Saturday morning. And thanks for liking my Kadett Rallye with the award. Best wishes to you all and Good Opeling..
    with warm regards, Tom King
    TMK

Downloads
    Uploads

Another Fabulous Route 66 Mother Road Festival!

I'll echo Tom's sentiments in thanking John and Connie for once again organizing a fabulous Opel weekend at the Mother Road Festival in Springfield. The spirit of camaraderie shared by Opelers throughout the event was truly special, and came through time and time again. Marie and I had such a fun time with all of you! We were glad the '73 Manta Luxus performed well over the 653 mile trip. Thank you so much for bestowing the honor of voting this Manta as "Best" of the event. I am fortunate to be the current caretaker of this well-preserved, largely original car. Hoping everyone had safe travels home, and will keep the festive glow during the coming work week. I'll post some photos soon. Thanks again!
    Jeff W.
    Gordy likes this.

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks to John and Connie for organizing another great weekend. It was good to see everyone again, especially the SW MO guys who hadn't been there for years. I look forward to next year's event. Hopefully a new group hotel and the same great group of fellow Opelers, but maybe no Dew Chili for dinner.
    Gordy and tomking like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Photos of Opel GT Award Winners Rt 66 2019

Here are photos to go along with John's announcements of the award winners from both the Opel folks voting our own as well as the car show judging in an Opel class. So many beautiful Opels this year with these and more!
    Jeff W
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Photos of Opel Kadett & Manta Award Winners Rt 66 2019

Here are photos to go along with John's announcements of the award winners from the Opel folks present voting our own. So many beautiful Opels this year with these and more!
    Jeff W
    Gordy and guyopel like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dcm013 View Post
    Thanks to John and Connie for organizing another great weekend. It was good to see everyone again, especially the SW MO guys who hadn't been there for years. I look forward to next year's event. Hopefully a new group hotel and the same great group of fellow Opelers, but maybe no Dew Chili for dinner.
    Maybe it's just me, but for a place that has "Chili" in it's name it was probably the worst chili I ever had. Hormel from a can has it beat hands down. Same with the beef in Chris's taco platter. Same odd flavor or seasoning. Marie's Swiss mushroom burger which she so graciously shared with me was awesome though!
    G.v.Mainberg likes this.

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL! Agreed on the Chili.
    Also Agreed on the fantastic job on a fantastic event organized by John and Connie. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and appreciate the hard effort that goes into putting one of these on. It is a shame that I cannot get together with such a good bunch of people more than once a year. It seems like forever to see everyone and get to know them, only to leave again for a long time. It is great to know all of you and meet with you. I wish there were more Opel events close by. Minus the fender bender, the weekend was, I thought, a great success!
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

Real Name
    Randall Stirm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Opel Owner Fellowship!

Vicki and I also want to thank John and Connie for organizing our Opel owner get-together this weekend (as always). We got home safely back to Indiana with the GT riding comfortably on the trailer. I very much regret the unfortunate Opel accident between myself and Dieter. If the pavement had not been wet there would not have been an issue. We appreciate Jeff and Marie for sticking with us after the accident to help. We are thankful that there were no injuries other than the Opels. The weather did not cooperate very well for the weekend; however, the great fellowship between our other Opel owner friends very much helped to ease the frustrations. Looking forward to next year! Randy

Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jessie and I arrived back home around 5:00 pm on Sunday. Traffic was heavy on the way home but the GT performed flawlessly. As always John and Connie put on one of the best Opel events, many thanks to both of you! It was great to meet some new faces and reconnect with some old friends. Toping the weekend off with two show awards, theres nothing more I could ask for. Hope to see you all next year!

- David & Jessie
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The "Wounded Warrior" (aka Opel Calibra) arrived back home yesterday at 7pm Eastern, after an uneventful 12-hour trip, for a total of 1,360 miles on Friday and yesterday.

Thank you so much John and Connie, you guys are the best when it comes to organizing an event.
    Oh, yes, please no more Dew Chilli place ... I don't care about which hotel might get chosen, but the dinner place needs to be reconsidered

Dieter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information