2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest, Springfield IL. Sept. 27-29 - Page 6
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Will You Attend

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attend with Opel

13 68.42%
  • Attend without Opel

5 26.32%
  • Dinner with Group Friday & Saturday

6 31.58%
  • Dinner with Group Saturday Only

2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: 2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest, Springfield IL. Sept. 27-29

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by G.v.Mainberg View Post
    The "Wounded Warrior" (aka Opel Calibra) arrived back home yesterday at 7pm Eastern, after an uneventful 12-hour trip, for a total of 1,360 miles on Friday and yesterday.

Thank you so much John and Connie, you guys are the best when it comes to organizing an event.
    Oh, yes, please no more Dew Chilli place ... I don't care about which hotel might get chosen, but the dinner place needs to be reconsidered

Dieter
    I think the Calibra looks pretty good. The damage can just be buffed out!
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a pic from the platform Yesterday. Just pretend David is standing there with us!
    Gordy was suggesting that if we didn't tell David, that we could tell him he got third and send him the other trophy.
    Now we wouldn't do that!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    manta73wi likes this.
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelgtcr8z View Post
    Here is a pic from the platform Yesterday. Just pretend David is standing there with us!
    Gordy was suggesting that if we didn't tell David, that we could tell him he got third and send him the other trophy.
    Now we wouldn't do that!
    Wouldn't have worked very well, Mike Mann sent a congratulatory text at 2:30 yesterday.
    manta73wi and opelgtcr8z like this.
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks again to John and Connie for keeping this event a "must attend" year after year. Gerri and I are back in Wisconsin with my daughter and her family. We will drop the rental car in Chicago and fly back to NY tomorrow nite.

Hope to see you all before next years event.

Per the BLITZ I see that Gil's is going to do a Manta anniversary event. I'll be looking for the dates to put it on our calendar.
    Craig Roberts

Downloads
    Uploads

2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest Photos

Pics from the parking lot at Friday night's dinner at Motorheads

Downloads
    Uploads

2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest Photos 2

More pics from the parking lot at Friday night's dinner at Motorheads
    guyopel likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads

2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest Photos 3

Other pics from the parking lot at Friday night's dinner at Motorheads and Saturday morning at the motel.

Downloads
    Uploads

2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest Photos 4

Pics from the parking lot at the motel and at the show on Saturday

Downloads
    Uploads

2019 Route 66 Mother Road Fest Photos 5

Pics from the show on Saturday

Downloads
    Uploads
    And a few more
    guyopel and manta73wi like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess it's about time to wrap this up.

I would list this as a good news bad news kind of weekend, but all in all successful. The weather was predicted as hit or miss showers and was pretty much spot on. This may have kept the number of Opels down. The bad news was the folks coming in from up north got the hit part of it while here in Springfield it was for the most part dry during the event activities. We did have to wipe the Opels down Saturday morning before leaving the Hotel. The rest of the day was decent weather. The bad news of course was the wet pavement helped to contribute to our first Opel on Opel accident. Being at the front of the line we did not hear about it until we were downtown. The good news was that Opelers being who they are, several stayed behind to help those involved. During this time Tom King had a bit of an issue with his Kadett Rallye not running right and our folks got that fixed too. Opelers are a top notch group. I would say they are special, but we won't go into that. Anyway, after we got settled in I think most everyone had a good day. I think Mel finally cleared out his garage of opel parts. We told him that it does not let him out of coming back. As the day wound down we did our Auction, door prize, and Awards and went off to dinner. I will not try to name all who helped on this as I would probably leave someone out. Just know your help is appreciated. Everybody thanks myself and Connie for putting together the show, but as I said Saturday. We just do logistics, you guys showing up year after year makes it what it is. I am not sure of the number of Opels this year, I think 12, but we had about 35 Opelers. That means a lot to me. That says folks think it is worth showing up to be a part of the group even without an Opel. Sunday was a small group downtown, and we waited in the rain to see who took home the Awards. It was nice that Gordy and Scott could pick theirs up in person. I will have to say I was somewhat disappointed but perhaps not surprised that Tom King was not in the top three. Not to take away from those who did get awards, but Tom's Kadett is very good. This kind of ties in with some of the other threads on here about Opels not getting the love they should at shows. Unfortunately it even happens at a show where we have an OPEL CLASS. This is the main reason we still do our Participant voted Awards on Saturday. GT owners are not the only ones who put effort into their Opels.

Dinners
    We tried a couple of new places this year with mixed results. Friday at Motorhead's was so so. Food was okay but service could have been better. Part of that was I had no idea we were going to have around 30 people go. Also this place is hard to get into on any Friday night. I talked with the owner Monday and we are going to talk again later. He is constantly working on the place and may be able to seat us in another area next year. This is something you folks need to express an opinion on.

Saturday at the Dew.
    Once again we had about 35 show up.
    Hind sight is 20/20 but I should have warned folks about the Chili. Connie and I do not like the Chili either. We do however like a lot of the other menu items. The Dew is a Landmark Est. in Springfield. It has been around since about 1920. Just goes to show there is no accounting for taste. While eating there I noticed is was not packed on Saturday evening. I asked the Manager if he thought he could accommodate our group. he thought he could handle it. You have to understand most restaurants do not want to have a group of 30+ with separate orders and checks on a week night much less a weekend.
    The situation was a bit funny but if you guys can give them a second chance let me know.

Club Hotel
    It seems it is time to say goodbye to the Route 66 Hotel. The rooms have never been great but the rate was good. Too many are saying the rooms and rates have went the wrong way. When I get us set up with a new home I will start a new thread for 2020. Since it will be the 50th anniversary for the Manta we will try to put them in the forefront.
    See ya next year

Real Name
    Mel
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=opeljohn;1415215] I think Mel finally cleared out his garage of opel parts. We told him that it does not let him out of coming back./QUOTE]

Not quite cleared out, but I did put a good dent in the pile. I took home the front suspension, starter and wiper motor (along with some miscellaneous stuff), so there was still a fair amount of weight in the truck bed.

And we WILL be coming back - you can't get rid of us that easily.
    sawdust likes this.

Real Name
    Scott
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [quote=Opelmel;1415289]
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    I think Mel finally cleared out his garage of opel parts. We told him that it does not let him out of coming back./QUOTE]

Not quite cleared out, but I did put a good dent in the pile. I took home the front suspension, starter and wiper motor (along with some miscellaneous stuff), so there was still a fair amount of weight in the truck bed.

And we WILL be coming back - you can't get rid of us that easily.
    Thinking about what I left behind...
    Scott

1970 Opel GT
    1974 Opel Manta Luxus
    1977 VW Bay Window Bus
    1987 VW Vanagon
    1970 VW Beetle
    1964 VW Single Cab Truck

Real Name
    Mel
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelgtcr8z View Post
    Thinking about what I left behind...
    Other than a chunk of your wallet??

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought this thread was dead but figured those who were at the Saturday evening dinner would get a real kick out of this. This was taken from the local weekly paper called the Illinois Times. As I said before, there is no accounting for taste.

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know whether the reviewer is friends with the owner or just never had good or even OK chili.
    Craig Roberts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Craig
    Actually this is not the reviewer's choice. This is a vote taken once a year in the various categories' by this publication. The local population is asked to write in their favorite for everything from best horseshoe to best politician. Some things cannot be explained.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information