Overheating solutions - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Overheating solutions

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr DJ-GT View Post
    Extra engine cooling tip:
    I recently spoke to one of my Opel Tech-Support authorities named Gil, who advised me that another dramatic way of cooling an Opel GT engine is to cut a 1” to 1.5” slit in the shape of a long smile directly across the (lower front) of the carburetor’s teardrop shaped hollow (space bubble) atop the GT’s hood located directly over the carburetor, intake, and exhaust manifolds and/or headers, if ya got em... He stated the tool best suited is a dremel, after making a template from masking tape or something to guid it... He recommend cutting it slightly more narrow than how you want it, then use a fine tooth file to smooth out the edges and get it just right... Then mount a cool looking black or color matching screen/mesh directly over your new freshly cut slit on the interior side of the hood’s carb space bubble to still allow a smooth inflowing stream of cooling air, while simultaneously suppressing excess water surges during lite rains to moderately heavy storms... However,,, For all you daredevils out there... Not Recommended for Wet River Crossings, or Flood Control Use... A’m jus sayin... :{

Great tip Gil. Thanks again...
    <>Dj<>
    Interior Cooling tips for Street Parkers:
    Theirs added advantages to having a Sun Shield in place on (any type of vehicle)... It gives you surprising combinations of (lnterior Cooling), (Security), & notably more (Privacy)! They only last about a year or two In a seasonally hot climate, but well worth it for the lack of those Pre-Sun Shield scenarios I used to endure... A smallest to med. size top of the line (Reflective Sun Shield) is $15 or less... It should be placed in your front window religiously day & night when parked on the street... Some of the medium sizes even stretch halfway over your side windows... This this simple accessory it’s easy to store rite behind the seat, & will make a dramatic difference in cooling down the interior of your GT, & keeping your dashboard’s top & other delicate plastic/vinyl interior components from cracking, fading, or shriveling up in the hot sun... ((Just remember to use your car’s stock sun visors to hold it in place so it doesn’t sag from the hi heat))... So many people jus can’t seem to figure out, with their waaay undersized, badly sagging, or even non-reflective sun shields... Better than nothin, I guess... :{
    Additionally, with a Reflective Sun Shield mounted in your windshield “overly snoopy” types, curious “Lookee Lou’s”, “dog walkers”, or assorted types will no longer loc on, to “perch n stare” at you anymore, for jus sitting in in your own vehicle relaxing.... Not even when they walk by your car... So if ever needed in a pinch, you can now jus pop the keys in the ashtray, recline your seat(s) & get some rest, or even (sleep it off), & with a reasonable degree of privacy for a change... Sun Shields are an absolute necessity if you live in a hot to blazing heat climate, or just value the security of items left inside the vehicle thats now kinda hidden... You’ll immediately note the added bonus of more privacy, because everyone naturally stares at our unique cars anyway, but a sunshield in your windshield makes it seem as though your car’s been jus sitting there all day, & anything inside is difficult to see with it in place because it cuts down outside ambient light so significantly... (Especially at night), so who, or whatever’s inside that vehicle pretty much gets ignored... Unless you, or your merchandise suddenly draw attention, with loud noises, little lite up gadgets, or an open flame lighter at night...
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:44 AM. Reason: Typos etc
    Autoholic likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hrcollinsjr View Post
    Cheaper from Pierce Manifolds but there are more details from the "manufacturer" in Chattanooga, TN.

Weber DGV Air horn

Harold

P.S. This part should probably be in another thread to make it less confusing and easier to find for others seeking something similar.
    Funny you should mention that, because I’m still trying to get used to the different forums on this tiny little phone screen. I have about a dozen helpful teck hints & safety tips in the new member intro sections and would like to know how I can share them with everyone else because I don’t think anyone’s even seeing them... I even list my sources on where to get the stuff... Some of the tech tips were handed down over generations by Opel lovers. I think you guys would find most of them pretty interesting, to say the least...

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr DJ-GT View Post
    Funny you should mention that, because I’m still trying to get used to the different forums on this tiny little phone screen. I have about a dozen helpful teck hints & safety tips in the new member intro sections and would like to know how I can share them with everyone else because I don’t think anyone’s even seeing them... I even list my sources on where to get the stuff... Some of the tech tips were handed down over generations by Opel lovers. I think you guys would find most of them pretty interesting, to say the least...
    On a side note, I took mine around the block for a test drive on my new tires. The road next to me has a bunch of nice "twistys" Ran the road at a min of 65, high of 75. Engine did overheat. I do need to re-time it, plus check my puke tank line. Fan kicked on as supposed to when we got home. Stayed on until the temp was acceptable. A big plus would be a way to keep coolant flowing through the engine at stop. Anyone figure that out? Thanks, Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Addition to thread

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    See my post (nos 6) on the first page. You'll see the bleeder valve, (manual) and my fuel cooler. Also have the Stant cap next post, and an overflow tank by Summit Hth, Jarrell
    I just finished changing the antifreeze in the Gt. I had a drain plug put in the radiator when I had it re-cored to a 3 row. If you get your radiator re-cored add the drain plug, it makes this job a lot easier. Also as was stated in this thread, make sure your heater valve is open.
    I'm sure a lot of people wondered about the bleeder valve on the top of the thermostat housing. After you have refilled your radiator and put the cap on it, bring it up to operating temperature, open the bleeder valve and all the air will have gathered there. Open it, wait until coolant comes out, close it. You are done. If you have an overflow tank, make sure it is filled too. Again, thank you Rallye Bob for this tip from decades ago. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OPGTS is selling improved water pumps.

https://www.opelgtsource.com/search/2768/details
    Water Pump with Gasket Part: 11006
    All-new, features higher-quality "closed impeller" design for superior fluid flow, which helps your Opel run cooler. Fits original 1.9L Opels, and is particularly recommended for upgraded or performance-built 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4L engines. Also includes one part #6010 mount gasket. (Also see our part #6168 bolt set, recommended for installation).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information