Opel GT Forum banner

OMC Blitz Thread

49K views 509 replies 53 participants last post by  jwbavalon 
#1 ·
Instead of starting a new thread for different issues, I think I'll just keep this one running.

But first off, please let me know if this is inappropriate in any way, going on about OMC on this site. I realize this site has something of a club component, although I figure most people see it as a forum with some nice extras. Anyway, let me know.

I just finished the October issue. It was a lot more work than I planned but I like how it came out. The Bonneville 2.0 story is in it, and there is a new team bringing a GT to a LeMons race and they submitted a short story and will follow that up after their first race. (Neither of those guys have raced before, ever.) Roger Wilson tells a tale of SCCA licensing, I've got something in there about the "Baby Corvette" article from Corvette Magazine, and more.

The part I am most proud of is the story of the Allson-powered Opel GT. After meeting Chris Franson at the Tacoma meet last summer and him sending me photos and his story, I started digging and found people who knew the car's builder, Mark Speicher. One of those was his son John, who lives about an hour away from me. I also spoke to John and to friends of Mark's and got the story of the car and the builder. This is what I like most about editing the Blitz, having the motivation to track down and get the Opel story that for the most part are vague Internet myths and rumors.

Anyway, for those of you that get the Blitz, let me know what you think. The print issue is in the mail now and the PDF should already be in your inbox.

The Cover:

The next issue, about 1/2 done at this point, reviews and analyzes OMC's history in areas related to proposed amendments to the by-laws, including the finances and membership over the years, the history of membership dues and the cost breakdown, a rough budget, the cost of producing the Blitz, and a few extras, including, hopefully, another tale from Roger Wilson. For this issue I have been digging through 34 years of back issues. Very interesting, and tedious, but I think the result in terms of articles that really give us the status of OMC, past and present, has been worth it.

Mike

See less See more
#141 ·
My print copy arrived yesterday and the archive/promo copies arrived today. I'll drop copies to Gordon, Dallas and Irfan tomorrow.

Big typo on the back cover. Curses! I read this thing so many time and still miss stuff. Maybe I should cut it back to 20 pages and under 8,000 words. More manageable for a one-guy production.

I'll upload a copy of the photo album article in a few minutes.

#142 ·
Picked up my Blitz at the post office today ( I haven't been in CT much lately).

Nice job as usual Mike!

So I have to ask, if one were to write an article for the Blitz, what type of article would people want to read about?

#143 ·
I've mostly been doing life-style articles, things people do or can do with their cars and things related to their cars, with a bias towards where the typical reader might actually do, as opposed to what is being done at the pinnacles of motorsports, restorations, etc. I occasionally do a technical article, but I like to blends them with story, so they are not exactly DIY articles. My goal for each issue is that when it arrives in your mail box you look at it and smile and think of how happy you are to be driving a classic Opel.

If you look at the stories people have contributed it covers a wide range, from Charles' wiring articles to the Yellow Baron the adventure to Gordon's feat.

I cover what shows I can but rely on others to tell us about other shows.

I've been bugging Duane for a story about his hill climbs for a while. If you are thinking of a story that would be a good one to tackle.

If course I'll take just about anything. ;)

Mike

#144 ·
Bob, I would think that a condensed Opel life story from you would be a welcome read. You could start by generating a list various milestones in your Opel career. Cool moments, famous Opelers and other Opel dealers you had Opel dealings with, the various fabrications you've made over the years, projects you'd like to do in the future, other cool fabrications that you've seen others do, absolutely anything that you think die hard Opelers would love to hear about if you were out having a beer with them, etc. Once your list is generated, go back and start writing sentences after each one. Don't worry about story and structure just type your thoughts. Do a little each day with your morning coffee(Mornings are the best time to write, before the distractions of the day clutter your thoughts).

Send it to Mike along with some pics and he'll arrange it all and send you a "proof". Add, delete, or correct as you see fit and send it back and he'll send you a revised second proof. Give final approval and in a month or two your Great American Mini-Novel arrives in your mail box as a keepsake for you and fascinating reading for us.

I'm thinking of writing an article on the general principles of custom dashboard construction. Not Opel-specific, just the basic goals, concerns, and methods involved in making a custom dash for any car.

:yup:

#146 ·
Great idea. Let me know what I need to do to help make it happen. And like Gordon said, we'll go back and forth to develop the article and make it something everyone would like.

Once upon an OMC time they were publishing bios in the Blitz. It was pretty nice, I thought. I believe there was a bio written on behalf of a member who had just passed, and that seemed to be well-received. How about a bio on Tom?

I've been wanting to do one on Roger Lee. I talked to him about it once. He doesn't live far from me and I could go down and collect bits of his story. In developing it I'd share bit with others who know him and collect their perspectives as well.

Same for Roger Wilson.

Now if only this was a full-time paying job. ;)

Mike

#147 ·
I'm not sure I'm cut out to do any biographical-type writing.

I'm thinking more along the lines of tech articles and such.

Reactions: nickincrete
#150 ·
It's difficult to write a personal bio but you've had so many Opel experiences it would be fun to hear about them. Doesn't have to delve into your personal life. It could be sort of time based series on how you got into Opels, how you got hooked up with C&R, what happened to C&R, what you have been doing since, the interesting projects that you've had along the way, anecdotes, etc. I understand why you might want to do all that work but it would be fun to hear about it all.

#154 ·
On these counts, I've written about them in these forums numerous times. My first ride in an Opel, my first time driving an Opel, buying my first Opel, getting hired by C & R, how I got my 'Rallybob' nickname, buying C & R years later, closing C & R later still....

I couldn't tell you exactly where this info is, but I know I wrote it all before! Typically it's in those 'Tell us how you got into Opels' type of threads or surveys.

#152 ·
I think Bob could do something like "Opel's For Dummies". With his knowledge of most of the Models sent to us here in the states I think he could do articles on the pro and cons of each and the easiest way to improve that model. I know many of us ask him questions at events, I once asked his opinion on weather the Sprint Manifold or a header would be the best application on a standard 1.9 GT with auto Trans. At the other end of the spectrum He and Roger Wilson could do some tips on engine and drivetrain builds.

Some of the stuff he has on this site and the Yahoo site would be nice to have in print for a number of reasons.

#153 ·
I've often thought that phone interviews would be the best way to go for many potential Blitz contributors. So many peole have gravitated towards typing with their thumbs on a cell phone or pad and no longer even have a keyboard in their possesion. Ain't nobody gonna type a whole Blitz article with their dang thumbs! Plus, many folks just flat out don't have much experience doing long-form writing.

But they can talk up a storm......

I know this sight challenged babe up the block who has an iPhone with voice recognition. When her son sends her a text she asks her phone to "Read it to me", and it does. Then she talks into her phone to "type" a text, she can't proof read it so she asks her phone "Read it back to me". If it repeats it correctly she says "Send" and off it goes. Mike, you could theoretically do the same with guys you call for Blitz articles. Record and voice-to-text later or do it somehow instantly as you're talking and conceivably the whole conversation could end up mostly already typed up. Go over it and edit yuk-yuks and typos and it's ready to print. Easy on the interviewee, easy on the interviewer.

:veryhappy

#155 ·
Once upon a time people did publish bios in The Blitz. I've been meaning to spend time with Roger Lee to work up one on him. Roger Wilson is hoping to come to the Buttonwillow race this weekend. Maybe I can get a start on his bio.

In other news, this issue of The Blitz is almost done. I just sent a draft to the officers to look over. Hopefully I'll have the final details taken care of before bedtime tomorrow so I can send it off before I leave for the weekend.

Stories include:
  • A reprint of "Son of Stingray", with permission and everything. It's a well-researched and documented article. You have probably seen it but our luddite members haven't.
  • The story of our recent race at The Ridge, reprinted from the Tinyvette Times. ;)
  • The last Tacoma Meet, brief coverage of the recent meet with a note about its future.
  • Women, the rest of what I wanted to say in the swimsuit issue thread.

All in all, 48 pages, 19k words, 53 illustrations. What a deal!

I don't have anything on the Rt-66 event. Someone feel free to send something in. I really don't think it would be right of me to pilfer the thread.

The next issue is the photo album issue. I'm not getting my for that. Oh, well. Maybe making people feel left out will make this easier next time.

Mike

#157 ·
This issue went out last night. Emails should have arrived already and the print version should be in your mailbox in about a week.

It took a bit longer to get this one actually mailed. Synchronizing the membership roster with the two mailing lists (print and email) is really time consuming. I'm looking into getting club software to help with that.

The next issue is in the works already. It will feature the photo album, a story about Joe DeBattista's Kadett, a story about the Rt66 event, and hopefully a story about machinists.

To repeat the invite, The Blitz has a number of features where you can easily get yourself published. There's the Photo Opel section where any random but cool photo can be inserted. There's Bench Racing, where you can tell a tale, true or less than true, but at least marginally related to Opels and cars in general. There's the Playboyesque Centerfold, where you get a full page photo and in 500 or so words, or more, you tell us about your love/Opel. There's also the cover. Got a cover-worthy photo? Send it in. So far Kyler is the only person to take me up on that offer.

Mike

#161 ·
October - December 2016 Issue

It should be in your email box within a couple hours, and in your mail box in about a week. I apologize for not getting this one (print version) out in time for Christmas. I really wanted to have it to you in time to be able to set it out for Santa to read while he eats the cookies and drinks the milk you left out for him.

Here's the cover, also attached. The car is Keith Ory's beautiful red GT.

Attachments

#162 ·
Just a quick note on my tenure as editor.

I started doing this with the November-December 2012 issue, so I have been doing this for just over four years. I've learned a lot in the process, about writing, editing, publishing, production, and distribution. I've also learned a lot about the Opel community, but am still a noob compared to the old-timers on this forum. I still have a lot to learn about the history of the Opel community and I look forward to doing so.

During my tenure The Blitz has gone from bi-monthly to quarterly, from black-and-white to color, and from hand stuffing and stamp licking to automated mailing. Even though The Blitz is now quarterly, the page count is the same as before I took the job, averaging 47 pages per issue during the past year. For an overall count of pages and all, that comes to 686 pages(includes the covers), 626 illustrations (does not include the covers), and over a quarter million words. Not bad for $45 per year for print-subscribers.

During my tenure I tired to move the Blitz along in the direction it already seemed to be heading, and that was from a newsletter to something more akin to a magazine. I've also worked hard to produce original content. A handful of articles were taken from the web, with permission, and other than the "Blitz archives" reprints, the rest have written by myself and fellow Opelers. Those other Opellers include:

1. Charles Goin
  2. Gordon Payton
  3. Keith Ory
  4. Roy Moulton
  5. Don Michaelson
  6. Dick Knorr
  7. James (Frozen Tundra)
  8. James Greuel
  9. John Staiger
  10. Steve Ward
  11. Jon Boespflug
  12. Roger Wilson
  13. John Dickerson
  14. Troy Moore
  15. John Christensen
  16. Madeline Brattesani
  17. Joshua Gatlin
  18. Todd Martin
  19. Tammy June
  20. Paul Tipton
  21. James Bartz
  22. Craig Roberts
  23. Anonymous D
  24. Gary Murph
  25. Charles Braden
  26. Michael Pendley
  27. Irfan Berk
  28. Ken Alderson
  29. Joe DeBattista
  30. Matt Schinelli

(I hope I didn't leave anyone off this list.)

We've also have contributions from Tom Drake, Ernie Bellow, Daren Besic, Bob Roth, and with this issue, the photo album issue, 30 or so more people's names can be added to this list.

That's a pretty impressive list.

I've also tried to put the "borrowing" of content days behind us, trying to be more professional in how we go about producing the Blitz. I've established policy of rejecting articles whose authors are anonymous and illustrations that I don't have explicit permission to use.

And as I've stated before, I want the Blitz to not only inform and entertain, but to make you smile every time your Blitz arrives, making you that much more happy about the fact that you own a classic Opel.

For 2017 I am contemplating slight and not so slight adjustments to the format of the Blitz, possibly even a new cover design. Charles Goin and I are already discussing a series of technical articles, possibly even a technical reference article. I am already working on an issue dedicated to gas-to-electric conversions.

Like last year I'll do what I can to help promote Opel events. This can can be difficult in a quarterly publication, but I still think it can help spur participation in these events.

I'm still working to produce a CD-ROM containing all past issues. The challenges at this time are 1. getting the other officers comfortable with the idea, 2. getting copies of issue I do not have, and 3. scanning all pre-PDF era issues. I've also got copies of newsletters from other (long gone) Opel clubs and plan to include these as well, so it will encompass more than just OMC's publication. So as you can see, it's a big project.

Mike

#163 ·
Let me be the first to say if you have the old OANA archives, you have my permission to scan and reissue those on a CD. Even I dont have them anymore. Outside the PDFs posted at Hemmings.

#165 ·
My print copy just arrived. It looks pretty good, if I say so myself. Thanks again for all the submissions.

Gil sent me a note saying he linked it and was hoping we could do something like it, but more, next year. He's thinking the same as I am. What if next year, for the year-end issue, each submission get two facing pages, photos that do not have to crop square, text as needed or desired?

Mike

#166 ·
37Th Year of Publication

One of the new year's rituals I enjoy is setting up the Blitz for another year of publication, which entails setting up the folders for each issue, the email folders for emails, and then bringing over the last issue from the previous year to rework it for this year. This year being the 37th year of publication, I think is pretty impressive for a club of this kind, and a little humbling for this editor, and an honor to be able to do this. Of course ballots are not in yet, so I could be out of a job before this issue comes out. Anyway, a technicality, I suppose.

I'm experimenting with new cover designs. Three-plus years on the current one was a good run. Let's see what I can come up with that looks good and which I think I can carry through the year. My problem, as usual, are photos that will fit and fill the space available. But, we'll see.

I'm also experimenting with fonts and going with three columns, like "real magazines". Whatever I come up with, it has to be attractive, readable, and not a pita for me to produce.

This final issue of 2016 was well-received and I've already mailed out 10 extra copies to people requesting them for family, friends, and office. Next year I might go with the same idea, an issue featuring member's cars, but maybe more than just a photo. How about a two-page spread for your photos and story?

I'm thinking of at least one issue this year being technical reference. A keeper issue. Torque specs, bolt sizes, wiring diagrams, light bulb specs, cam specs, tuning specs, lots and lots of specs, plus lists of common parts, maybe even the the weights of various parts, and so on.

I'm also thinking of one issue dedicated to technical articles and only technical articles. Charles is working up one already and you can be sure I'll be harassing Gordon for some.

Meanwhile, the January-March issue is already in the works. I have a story from the 2016 Mother Road event in already and have been promised a story on the success Joe DeBattista has been having with his Kadett. I've got a "Materials" article in mind I'd like to write and of course I have plenty of Tinyvette tales I could tell.

As always, The Blitz offers a classy way to show the world your car and tell your story. You all have stories to tell, even if you don't know it or are shy about writing it down. If you have a story you'd like to tell but aren't sure where to start, give me a call and we can get it worked out, done, and published.

Happy Blitzing New Year!

Mike

#167 ·
No PayPal Account For OMC BLITZ?

Dear Lindsay <snip>,
On Dec 19, 2016, you sent a payment to Richard Counsil for $21.00 USD.
The funds have been returned to your account.
This payment was returned for the following reason(s):
Richard Counsil did not sign up for a PayPal account or did not complete the registration process.
Please contact Richard Counsil (<snip>) to arrange an alternate payment method.
If you have any further questions, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the History subtab.
Locate this transaction and click the word "Cancelled" in the Details column.

#168 · (Edited)
Dear Lindsay <snip>,
On Dec 19, 2016, you sent a payment to Richard Counsil for $21.00 USD.
The funds have been returned to your account.
This payment was returned for the following reason(s):
Richard Counsil did not sign up for a PayPal account or did not complete the registration process.
Please contact Richard Counsil (<snip>) to arrange an alternate payment method.
If you have any further questions, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the History subtab.
Locate this transaction and click the word "Cancelled" in the Details column.
Lindsay, what e-mail address did you use to pay for your OMC membership? I renewed mine last month, and it went through, paid to counsilr "at" aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.