Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im evil by posting a title like that to snake people into this thread.

Working on my 1.1 liter engine with my 4 speed tranny. I have a 1966 Kadett wagon and with all the exitement of ripping it apart... literally forgot how it went. I know it cant be that hard... but this is my first... doh!

I have 2 opel books 1966 and 1966/67 originals. There is no diagram on how the clutch goes together... rathers speaks of the clutch assembly? How does this assembly go together?

When I was a lad, I thought, drugs wont affect me... now 11 years after quitting my mind still wasnt what it was when I was 14. Hope my kids can learn from me.

all the pictures are here: http://opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7542

· Registered
616 Posts
do you mean how the clutch disk and pressure plate attach to the flywheel? because thats very simple... just use a clutch alignment tool, metal rod, stick, or random guess to hold the disk in the center and bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel...

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Are you asking which side of the clutch plate faces the flywheel before you bolt on the pressure plate?

I'm not familiar with 1.1's but do they have a pilot bearing? If so, I would place a fresh one in there.

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have a throwout bearing for it... I dont think I have a Pilot bearing... I will give it a stab tonight and post pictures so you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong/right.

Cheers

Mike

· Opeler
73 Posts
Engine install

Your pilot bearing is in the end of the crankshaft.You can get away with putting sime grease in it .Now your clutch and pressure plate go on(the clutch will sit flat on the flywheel),then put the pressure plate on and put the bolts on by hand.Now you want to center the clutch.IfYou can find a wooden dowel or round extension that fits in the pilot bearing(at the end of crank), 6 inches long or so.Wrap masking tape around the rod or dowel you are using(where it passes through the clutch disk) enough to make a good fit.Now try to center the clutch disk mearsuing form the inside of back of pressure plate.Whallaa! you have a homade clutch centering tool.Tie down bolts a tiny bit then if you want try to mate the transmission to engine.You can also use the transmission to center the clutch before torqueing down the pressure plate.If the pressure plate does not sit on the flywheel properly you have the clutch in backwards.Go for it!

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
I'd still recommend the replacement of the bearing since the engine is out. It is a PITA to do after the drivetrain is back together. My my 0.02

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Opened up the nos throwout bearing and another bearing was there as well??? Dont know where it goes, but it fits on the end of the trannie shaft perfect?

Also took pictures of the clutch and the pressure plate... I know there is a rigth and wrong way to put it on... dont know which way... ???

there is a side with a longer shaft... and the other side has metal that sticks outside of the clutch part itself... want to get it right the first time.

Please let me know how it is supposed to go on :)

thanks

Attachments

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
lets start with what i DO know.

looks like you have the throwout bearing on the clutch fork right, cool beans there. the small needle roller bearing that fits on the end of the transmission shaft is the pilot bearing. pull the old bearing out of the crankshaft WITHOUT damaging the crankshaft its self, no scars or burs. you can use a socket with a slightly smaller outside diamater than the pilot bearing to install it into the crankshaft. just install it so it fits flush to the outside of the crankshaft, and use a little lube in the bearing, and a thin coating on the input shaft.

and for the clutch disk, i'm not positive.....but if memory is serving right, the 4 springs exposed on the disk will go towards the flywheel, not the pressureplate. i'd wait for somebody else to confirm or correct the clutch disk orientation.

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
saweet... so I do have a pilot bearing already!~ Nice..

Thanks..

Need more confirmation before proceeding... Im inpatient, but know it will pay to wait for a second..

thanks for you imput smurf

· Premium Member
1,796 Posts
label

On the 1.1 the long end of the clutch disk inner sleeve goes rearward, torward the transmission. Every one I have ever done has had tiny printing on one side of the disk or the other, either in ink or stamped into the metal somewhere, that indicates which side is which, in German. Take a good look at the disk, then translate at babelfish, and you should be set even if we're all wrong.

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, here is the flywheel off... looks like I press this bearing out of the flywheel and put the new one in... however? I am curious about this as the bearing currently in the flywheel doenst have an inner needle bearing... but rather just a piece of steel... the new one does.

Am I correct in the placement of this little bearing?

thanks

Attachments

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow the old Pilot bearing was shot... had about a millimeer or play... could this have been making that noise that started me on this build? It was a screeching noise

Popped the new one in and sanded the flywheel down a bit with some 150 grit sandpaper to roughen it up

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone confirm how the actual clutch fits in between the flywheel and pressure plate?

greensmurf20 said:
lets start with what i DO know.

looks like you have the throwout bearing on the clutch fork right, cool beans there. the small needle roller bearing that fits on the end of the transmission shaft is the pilot bearing. pull the old bearing out of the crankshaft WITHOUT damaging the crankshaft its self, no scars or burs. you can use a socket with a slightly smaller outside diamater than the pilot bearing to install it into the crankshaft. just install it so it fits flush to the outside of the crankshaft, and use a little lube in the bearing, and a thin coating on the input shaft.

and for the clutch disk, i'm not positive.....but if memory is serving right, the 4 springs exposed on the disk will go towards the flywheel, not the pressureplate. i'd wait for somebody else to confirm or correct the clutch disk orientation.

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actually.. slightly hidden in the manual... it stated to put the longer part of the toothed shaft of the clutch toward the rear.

Got it bolted in... torqued to specifications... Used the shaft from another tranny to allign it.

Tranny zipped up. Clutch cable atatched... ready to be dropped into the car.

Woo hoo... thanks for the help

126 Posts
how the clutch disc fits

oldopelguy had a good description. As he said, there is usually a label or its stamped into the metal of the clutch disc "This Side Flywheel'. And of course you will install the disc with that side to the flywheel. Once you have the trans back in and have a couple bellhousing bolts tight and the clutch cable installed- push down on the clutch pedal to make sure it goes completely down to the floor. I haven't done it myself, but i've heard that if the disc is in backward the pedal will not go down completely. Also, after reviewing your nice pics, I would encourage you to have the flywheel machined. It looks like it needs it. Good luck, Peace.:)

· Opeler
192 Posts
1.9 clutch vs 1.1 clutch orientation.

In the factory service manual the 1.1 orientation of the clutch describes the long end of the spline hub facing rearward. The picture for the 1.1 shows the long part of this hub facing forward. On the 1.9 it describes the long part facing forward. Is there a diffference in the design of the 1.1 clutch disc versus the 1.9?

· Registered
6,344 Posts
In the factory service manual the 1.1 orientation of the clutch describes the long end of the spline hub facing rearward. The picture for the 1.1 shows the long part of this hub facing forward. On the 1.9 it describes the long part facing forward. Is there a diffference in the design of the 1.1 clutch disc versus the 1.9?
You would certainly think so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.