Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow -

didn't know you guys were right in my back yard - I'm in Brookfield

Thinking of bringing my 69 gt back to life - have had it since 73 - first big thing I need is an exhaust system

Would like to find an original style 1.1 headpipe - two tube - if I can't I'll have to revert to a kadett single and have something bent up

Any ideas?

·
Living in the past
2,278 Posts
Exhaust system

That is the SR motor in your GT which was 67 HP from the factory, The S motor in the Kadett was 54 HP. If you still have the SR exhaust manifold take it to an exhaust shop and have it made up. "Y" pipe from the manifold to the exhaust pipe should be 1 1/2 inch tubing, from the "Y" to the low restriction muffler (1 3/4" in 1 3/4" out) ** No Glasspack** 1 3/4" over the axle pipe "Y" and ran out the body "dimples" with resonator tips. This should give you about 70 HP with the SR intake (2 single barrel Solex carbs) abd not be too loud. Good luck and happy Opeling

·
Registered
345 Posts
i just sold a 2tube headpipe to mike trout but if you need any other 1.1 engine parts i have some available

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah - sorta went that route last time - but opted to make the y pipe back 2 inch - muffler and dump in front of the rear wheel.

now would like to go back to something more standard -- been awhile (20 years?) since I was really into opels - (6 at one point - all 1.1s)

a lot of what I have as spare sr stuff came from a kadett rallye - but kept a few single carb parts from the others cuz they were easier to tune. figured the s motor manifold would come in handi some day to get a system bent up -- last time nobody wanted fool around with the two pipe "Header"

can't remember exactly- is the GT rear resonator for a 1.1 the same as a 1.9?

any recommendations for a place that will custom bend?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah Wannabe -

if you have anything exhaust related I'd like to know - Just too darn loud now (nothing behind the y pipe !)

after that I'll be looking for a gasket set and carb re-build kits cuz after 20 yrs of sitting - will be dried out I'm sure. but I think gasketsets are still available Just hope they have the valve seals

Only other thing really need engine wise is alternator- got a kluged in Big GM in there now - thinking of a late model something with built-in alternator but would consider going back to stock if I could find all the parts.

Other than that I'm pretty well set Engine wise. Next will be the brakes.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts