Opel GT Forum banner

1.1 L Carb Problems

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GTJIM (R.I.P.) 
#1 ·
Hi Folks
I just got off the phone with Eric Schmidt here in Springfield IL. Eric has about 10 GTs in a barn out side of town. I have been after Eric to get one of them up and running for quite some time. He has recently put plates on his 69 1.1L GT and been trying to get it in roadworthy shape. Of the GTs he has this is probably one of the best. Now for the problem. He can't seem to get it to both idle well and accelerate well. Eric is retired and works on his Opels himself. He does get on the internet some but someone who could contact him by phone would help. With a little help from us I think Eric will become a great member of the group. Contact me off list for his phone number.
Thanks
John

#3 ·
To answer Willys question, as far as I know he plans to keep them for now. Of the 10 or 11 he has, about 5 are in pretty good shape. They would take minimal effort to be drivers and could be good show prospects. Of the rest some could be brought back some are mostly parts donors. He has a red 73 that with a little TLC and some elbow grease could be a high 3 or low 2. Andy Legge gave him one a couple of years back and went out to see his stash, Maybe he could add his opinion. Eric has been picking them up for years. Along with the complete cars he probably has parts from 4-5 others he stripped. Eric is a nice guy and I hope he starts having some fun with these cars. I think he said his first GT he actually bought for his daughter. By the way a couple of folks have gotten back to me to offer their help and I do want to thank them.
John

#4 ·
Not much adjustment!

The '69 GT 1.1 litre twin carb set up uses the Opel Emission Control System (O.E.C.S.) and is not suposed to be adjusted after leaving the factory......
Only idle speed is adjustable and then only by using the "centre unit" between the carbs and not the carbs themselves.

Here is a scan from the 1969 Opel Kadett & GT Manual:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.