Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to Eric Schmidts Opel Barn today to look over some of the GTs he's been putting back to running shape. He had what I would consider an oddity out there. He has a 1.1L GT that is in pretty good shape up and running. He also has what looks to be a 1.1L 69 GT with AC. The stuff in the engine bay is gone but the console diffuser and the stuff behind the seat is still there. The car is hit in the rear and pretty rusty but will start and move. Just wondering how many of those hit the street with AC. Anyway Eric has three or four of his better ones street worthy now, and plans to work on a few more.
John

·
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To fully answer 72 opelgts question wouild take a little more time than I have right now. Some of this I have posted elsewhere but here goes. When I decided to get back into Opels around 1993 I bought a Red 73 GT. When I drove it to work one day a coworker told me I should look up Eric Schmidt. At that time Eric had just retired from being a Brick Mason. When I found Eric he said to come by and he would take me out to see the Opels he had. At that time he had about 10 complete GTs and parts from maybe 4 to 5 more. Also he had a Manta sitting out front of his barn that he later parted out and scrapped. He has also parted out a couple of other Mantas and has owned at least one wagon. When I talked to him at that time Eric was just puttering around with his Opels to be tinkering and none of them were even plated. In the last six to eight months Eric has gotten the bug to start driving some of these cars. He has been ordering parts that he does not have and putting the GTs back on the road. When I went out to his barn sunday he had one GT up on stands replacing the calipers and rotors and a motor from a Manta on his homemade motor running stand, he had taken that motor apart to find it had one piston rusted froze put it back together and had it running again. Is Eric wanting to sell his stuff, not really. Is Eric a Collector, in the strictest sense maybe not but he is like many of us an Opel nut. I wish he would get on the net more but we will see. I have told him I think he will really like meeting the folks in this group. If not before then I think he will a least meet some folks at this years Mother Road Fest. Maybe someone can talk him out of some of his stuff. I know he has said he has some FI parts he has no use for. I have been telling him he should go to Carlisle but he does not trust the GTs he has running to go that far yet. Maybe the Local folks would like to get together out at his barn sometime?
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.