Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how to tell a 1.1L and 1.9L

I am looking to aquire an Opel GT from a friend's dad. The car belongs to a friend of his but as been sitting at my friend's house for about 10 years or so.

I have no idea what year it is, or what engine it has in it. Is there anyway externally that will tell you what engine it has?

also, the car is yellow and has a red off-center stripe on the pass. side, is this a factory option?

I should have some pics next weekend when I go back to Austin.

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
the engine, easiest way to tell is the 1. has dual side-draft carbs, while the 1.9 has a single downdraft carb with finned aluminium valve cover.

i dont think the stripe is factory, far as i know, they only came in solid colors. wish you the best of luck witht he GT.

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Jared, a quick and dirty way to tell which engine you have is the 1.1 usually has 2 single barrel carburators. The 1.9 normally has a single 2 barrel carb. the 1.1 normally has a stamped steel valve cover and the 1.9 normally has a cast aluminum valve cover. The only stripes I have ever seen on an Opel GT from the factory, were on the sides of the car, never on the hood. That was probably put on by the Previously Owner (PO). Welcome to the wonderful world of Opels and watch out for the dreaded, sometimes, disease of Opelitis. This malady has been known to spawn more Opels on one's property than can be managed by a normal person.

Ron

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
holy crap, never meet another person with my name, let alone another jared with a opel!!!, SWEET

what kinda stripes did the GT/J come with?

· Driver
987 Posts
jaredmp5 said:

I should have some pics next weekend when I go back to Austin.
Hey, I live in Austin, right now at 183 and Oak Knoll, moving in a month. Where are you?
Make sure and join http://www.texasopel.com

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
greensmurf: I've met about 7 different Jared's. Most spelled the same, and there are 4 of us in one of my classes and 2 in the other. (straaaaange)

the stripe looks similar to this type
although it's a GT, it's yellow, and the stripe is red.

Opelenvy:
I go to school at UT-Arlington right now but I live in south Austin close to Bowie HS. The car itself is sitting in Dripping Springs.
Thanks for the link!

Namba:
My g/f will take care of any "Opelitis". She doesn't even like the idea of this one too much, even though it's sitting at her dad's house. UGH! ill just pop her one and set her straight (then she'll kill me:p )

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
jared: i'm not sure how long your girlfriend will prevent opelitis....and you are right, they hate it. i'll give youa year and you'll be a full blown opel-haulic.

· Driver
987 Posts
Well I'm moving to DS in a month. That'll make 2 GT's in DS! That's probably never happened before.
;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.