Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started working on my 1.1 GT project and found someone had transplanted a non SR 1.1L in it. Can one of the 1.1L gurus tell by the block number what it may be from? It has low compression dished pistons in it. Also the distributor has no indent in the top rim to lock the distributor cap in place. It moves all over the place. What is up with that?

4,231 Posts
Oops, forgot the pic!
Hi Dave
You got a early bird in 1.1 engine! I think by the early number,it is a Kadett A engine.
Only stamped with*1.1 .......123 and not with later 1.1 engines for Kadett B and GT.
They use the digits *1.1SR......123 for Europ and *1.1US.......123 for the USA.

Your distributor is a Delco not Bosch when I look at the points!
I dont know if Delco use also spring clips early.Later ones the cap have screws for fix.

·
Opel Key Master
5,289 Posts
I want to say 90% my 1.1 engine states...11SR for a GT we are doing. I will double check tomorrow. On 69 distributors, off one screw a metal tab sticks up, and a half moon hole in the cap sits on that tab, if I recall correctly. Even in the 69 1.9 engine, the distributor cap will not work on later models

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to say 90% my 1.1 engine states...11SR for a GT we are doing. I will double check tomorrow. On 69 distributors, off one screw a metal tab sticks up, and a half moon hole in the cap sits on that tab, if I recall correctly. Even in the 69 1.9 engine, the distributor cap will not work on later models
Thanks Keith, that would make sense. It probably doesn’t have the right cap on it either.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi Dave
You got a early bird in 1.1 engine! I think by the early number,it is a Kadett A engine.
Only stamped with*1.1 .......123 and not with later 1.1 engines for Kadett B and GT.
They use the digits *1.1SR......123 for Europ and *1.1US.......123 for the USA.

Your distributor is a Delco not Bosch when I look at the points!
I dont know if Delco use also spring clips early.Later ones the cap have screws for fix.
It can't be a Kadett A engine as they were only available with 10N or S engines. The missing letter behind the 11 indicates it is an 11N Kadett B engine. For some reason Opel chose not to use an N behind the displacement numbers on the N engines, at least in Europe.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you are right. Looks to be an early Kadett B low compression without the S. Wonder how many mpg can be squeezed out of this in a GT body?

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
I think you are right. Looks to be an early Kadett B low compression without the S. Wonder how many mpg can be squeezed out of this in a GT body?
Tom Adkins got 58mpg max out of his high compression 1.1 GT.

Get this intake and a Weber 40 DCOE and you can get high HP instead:) http://shop.afterbuy.de/Kadett-B-St..._u9344_zaccbb461-0435-42a3-b64c-8babac4e27f7/

Here’s a Kadett B with the 45HP engine with that manifold and undoubtedly other upgrades. It made 112HP at the wheels! That’s more than my 2.0L with a side draft lol.
https://www.facebook.com/1414498895471460/posts/2218406895080652/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts