Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes, what's the trick to removing a 1.1L starter with the engine still in place? I read the FSM, but I think it's Kadett-specific. Can anybody say for sure whether the exhaust manifold has to come off too?

Or maybe there's some maneuver I'm not getting right... I just can't believe how difficult this is.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
my 1970 Kadett and GT FSM says .....

1 to 2 are obvious things, like disconnecting battery and jacking up the car and safely supporting the vehicle

3. disconnect right engine mount from body attatchment (starter side)
4. disconnect tail pipe at rear of car
5. loosen top bolt and remove the bottom bolt from the left engine mount
6. raise the engien on starter side and remove engine mount bracket to crankcase bolts. Remove bracket to gain access to starter
7 to 8 are obvious steps like starter bolts and wiring, and just bluntly says "remove starter"

hope this helps, if not i have a 1100 GT i can look at tomarrow.

~jared~

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
something's got to go

The starter can be removed with the manifold in place, but the motor mount has to come off the block to get it out. It can be done with the manifold off and the motor mount in place, with a lot of wiggling and swearing, but it's a real PITA.

Those motor mount bolts are a bit of fun in themselves too. Usually they are the 8mm 12-pt bolts, like 1.9 cam bolts, and they are full of gunk. They also tap through the side of the block into the oil gallery, so I HIGHLY recommmend using a dab of silicone on them when you put them back in.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. This operation is a definite PITA on this car.

Three bolts (1 top, 2 lower) hold the metal "ear" to the block. These are the ones which will need a dab of silicone, I take it? Anyway, I removed each one (they're 13mm hex).

Then I unbolted the nut at the top of the motor mount and jacked up the engine. I could not get that damn ear out for the life of me. I pryed on it and banged it good, but no go. Don't know what's still holding it on.

I think my mounts might be different than a Kadett, but you're right, that bracket must go.

But since I couldn't get it to budge, I may be pulling the manifold tomorrow. At least I know now that it's possible to get out that way, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts