Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased my first GT from the new opelgt.com sight. The add is still up if you´d like to see it. I´m having it shipped down from Washington and should have it here some time today, hence my lack of sleeping. I´ve seen the rotory GT´s but no posts about putting a 1.6L Mazda Miata engine in an Opel. My Miata was hit in the front wheel which twisted the frame a little and bent the steering rack. What I´m left with is a very nice donor car. The shifter on the Miata´s transmission is all the way to the rear which may be a problem, so I´m looking for a similar one that´s further forward. The odds that the Getrag will bolt up without a custom bell housing and new input shaft are probably not to good. Has anyone tried to put an independant rear end in a GT or would it be too much work for a small gain in handeling?

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have some measurements for a Miata 1.6L drivetrain. Engine w/ manifolds & air crossover installed: L 24" H 24" W 22" Transmission length: 40" The motor mounts are placed 16" from the front of the air crossover to the center of the mount. The shifter is located 1" from the center of the shifter pivot ball to the transmission´s rear tip. The weight of the engine and transmission w/ fluids drained is estimated at 300-400Lbs with the transmission coming in at 1/4-1/3 of that total amount. Stock rear wheel hp is rated at 120 @ 6500 rpm and torque is 100 lb ft @ 5500 rpm. A 1.6L w/ large ball bearing turbo @ 12 psi boost and an upgraded computer has a hp rating 262.2 @ 6500 rpm and a max torque of 239.7 @ 5000 rpm. Supercharger kits add aprox. 70-75 hp. Red line is 7200 RPM w/ computer controlled rev limiter. I have picked up a complete spare engine for $400 and a transmission for $180. ´94+ came with a 1.8L and the same transmission, but I´m trying to use what´s in the garage. I have seen complete parts cars go for $2000 and less, and most of those ran. The turbo with ALL parts needed and a bullet proof clutch/flywheel combo costs $5800.

·
Registered
84 Posts
thanks for the dimensions of the Miata engine. :)

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Opel GT's 1.9?

I want to do this swap, and I'm curious as to how much fabrication will be needed, specifically for the shifter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts