Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of turbocharging the GT since the day I got it. Just something about the car only having 70 hp just doesn't fit well with its sporty appearance. Initially I plan on pushing 175- 200 hp, this would make the car alot of fun to drive. Then crank it up and see if I can hit that 300 hp mark.
Any way, the past couple days I've been taking some measurements to find the best position to mount the turbo, so far it looks like the best spot will be having the compressor end mounted up high into the hood blister.
Today I made an adjustable bracket to check positioning and played around a bit with the clocking of the turbo. It is a really good fit and I initially thought the intake would be an issue, but I have more room than I fist thought I would, except for one thing... the fuel injectors at 1&2 cylinders will be really close to the compressor side of the turbo. I think I'll be able to manage it, but it's going to be damn close even with stubby ls3 injectors..
I managed to pull the ls engine out of the esclade that was occupying my lift over the weekend so it can go outside and the opel can go up on the lift, then I can start finalizing the fitment. All said, I'm pretty sure that this will be where it winds up going...
Automotive tire Hood Liquid Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Gas

Water Building Wood Window Swimming pool

Hood Automotive tire Wood Tire Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
14,649 Posts
Just an FYI, something I had toyed with 18 years ago…
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Gas Nut Automotive exterior Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an FYI, something I had toyed with 18 years ago… View attachment 444626
View attachment 444627
View attachment 444625

I didn't think to move the injectors down and under like that, that would definetly save me some troubles with fitment. :giggle: thanks for the idea ;)
Was there any unexpected issues with this set up??

Hopefully tomorrow I can get my cad program transferred over from the deceased laptop to my new one, then I can start the modeling process. The tech department at Alibre is closed for the holidays. I could just use the desktop computer, but no TV in that room... lots of 3d printers though.. 😆 lol.

I'm on vacation after this week, hopefully I can get the spare motor out of the other opel and get it up on a stand. It's supposed to be "rebuilt" but im thinking it just got a fresh coat of paint and some gaskets.
It's a 1970 with a 19 A cylinder head, the other 72 motor has a X19A head. What's the difference in heads if any??

·
Super Moderator
14,649 Posts
I didn't think to move the injectors down and under like that, that would definetly save me some troubles with fitment. :giggle: thanks for the idea ;)
Was there any unexpected issues with this set up??
I never built it/ran it. I spent about 45 minutes mocking it up for somebody else’s thread here on Opelgt.com, just as an alternate possibility. What you see is as far as I went. But I was just pointing out some out-of-the-box thinking to deal with a GT’s bad heat management.

It's a 1970 with a 19 A cylinder head, the other 72 motor has a X19A head. What's the difference in heads if any??
Ideally, for a performance build that might turn some rpms you’d be better off with a 4-bearing head, and the 10-bolt style that is less prone to cracking.

Reactions: guyopel

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ideally, for a performance build that might turn some rpms
I doubt I would go over 7k unless I went to a 4:56 gear on 24" tires for a 1/4 mile run....

you’d be better off with a 4-bearing head, and the 10-bolt
I'm guessing that is the head that was on the 1973? As the story goes with the car I'm putting together the guy bought the car just to get the head off of it, then it sat in his garage for 20 years before being sold to the guy I bought it from, who kept it in the garage for 5 years.
I just passed the one year mark and hopefully will finish before the 2 year mark. But im also up to my ears with another build that's kicking my butt with rust issues, and no replacement parts so I have to hand fabricate everything :rolleyes: and it's slow going.. but im starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel..
It's also nice to step away from it and "play" with the opel..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had mentioned in another thread about buying a set of headers off ebay and modifying them to build the header out of. Maybe modifying wasn't the right term to use as I would be chopping them up just to get the bends from.. They're cheap, and pretty sure I can get what I need from them. Have a look...

But I'm open to suggestions also..
Font Auto part Circle Metal Illustration

Font Parallel Poster Motor vehicle Triangle

·
Super Moderator
14,649 Posts
Curious where the exhaust will discharge from the turbo. Not much room back there in the engine bay. At least not for a 2.5-3” downpipe.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curious where the exhaust will discharge from the turbo. Not much room back there in the engine bay. At least not for a 2.5-3” downpipe.
That's the one spot where there is plenty of room.
But I will have to wrap the downpipe to keep the heat down.
Got my cad program swapped to a new lap top this morning so I'm going to start some modeling today and might run a test print of the flange over night if the a hole dog let's me in the printer room. He was abused, has issues, and bites so hard it'll send you to the E.R. (see avatar) but I can play fetch and tug with him all day, just can't touch him. Hoping one day he will chill out and not be such a [email protected]$.
Also sat the 6.0 into my other project car this morning to check fitment. Going to be close around the steering box and I'll have to notch the k member a little bit but looks like it should fit fine...
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well while my geriatric pit crew is out enjoying themselves at a car show I decided it was time to bring the opel inside and get it up on the lift.
Sounds like an easy task, but had to move 5 cars and a tractor, and lawn mower to do it, charge batteries, air up tires and push, pull, drag away for 5 friggn hours!! I think I have just enough energy to lift a couple of beers, and maybe sweep the shop floor.
I was hoping to get the exhaust out of the 72 and spare motor out of the 70 today but im out of steam, atleast it finally made it into the shop and I can finally start putting it together...
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

Photograph Light Black Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Building

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These last 3 pics appear to be a CIH engine with a crossflow head:
Wish I could get my hands on one of them. :)

Moving the radiator over to the driver's side produced more room to plumb, but the GT may not have that kind of flexibility.
There's just so little room. I still feel the best spot is moving the exhaust up and over the intake. I made cardboard templates of the space I have available for the intake. The tightest area is the back of the head by the passenger foot well and gives me a 6.5" square, plus a little spot for the injectors and fuel rail.
Didn't work on the opel much yesterday. Waiting on a new gasket for between the trans and bell housing plus I got distracted by my other project car I've had to fabricate inner and outer rockers for.. no joy there.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

Wood Wall Brick Composite material Fixture

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
New lap top and operating system, upgraded cad program to the latest version.... GRRRR!!! have to relearn stuff again, I'm too old for this crap!!
Well anyways, I got tired of welding in rocker panels and decided to take a break and do some cad modeling for the intake.... keep in mind this is the first rendition and it's modeled so I can
stick the flange side to the bed and print it without supports. When completed, and not just doing a test print the runners will not be looping around that far...
I also want to blend the transition from round tube to square port better...and this latest and greatest cad program update doest seem so great.. could be me though...Anyway, here's a pic to give you general idea..
Gesture Musical instrument Art Darkness Fashion accessory

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my order from OGTS today, all the suspension bushings, rubbers and lower ball joints. But the transmission gasket I was waiting for didn't survive the trip. Oh well I'm sure they'll have another one here in the next day or so.
So back to playing with the intake design a little.
Added the injector bungs and a flange where the plenum will bolt on. Waiting on a set of the ls3 injectors so I can figure out the fuel rail mounting.
I would like to cast it integral with the upper runners and just have the fuel rail bolted to it to simplify things.
Azure Aqua Font Rectangle Electric blue

Watch Wrist Electric blue Font Metal

·
Super Moderator
14,649 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts