Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I went to a local store today to get an oil filter and oil for the GT. I grabbed a PH3614. I wanted to make sure I remembered the correct number so I asked them to look it up. They looked it up and said the correct filter is PH966B. Now I was confused. I went to the Fram website and looked up the 1.9 GT and it gave PH966B. I called them and they said both are exactly the same except that the PH3614 has a oil check valve in it so if your filter screws on sideways, some oil stays in the filter when you turn the engine off. The PH966B does not. Since the 1.9 goes almost straight up and down it doesn't matter. The PH966B is also a special order filter. Just some info in case you goto a store and they tell you the PH3614 wont work. It always has and still will.

Karl

·
Opeler
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to let everybody know just in case they go to a store and the store tells them they have to order the filter, they really dont and they can still use the PH3614.

Karl

·
Administrator
10,083 Posts
I went to a local stroe today to get an oil filter and oil for the GT. I grabbed a PH3614. I wanted to make sure I remembered the correct number so I asked them to look it up. They looked it up and said the correct filter is PH966B. Now I was confused. I went to the Fram website and looked up the 1.9 GT and it gave PH966B. I called them and they said both are exactly the same except that the PH3614 has a oil check valve in it so if your filter screws on sideways, some oil stays in the filter when you turn the engine off. The PH966B does not. Since the 1.9 goes almost straight up and down it doesn't matter. The PH966B is also a special order filter. Just some info in case you goto a store and they tell you the PH3614 wont work. It always has and still will.

Karl
The PH3614 also fits my 24 valve 3.0 motor so it is pretty standard.

Side note: 1970's era Toyota's had a lot of timing chain failures due to oil filters that did not have a check valve in it.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,484 Posts
The PH3614 also fits my 24 valve 3.0 motor so it is pretty standard.

Side note: 1970's era Toyota's had a lot of timing chain failures due to oil filters that did not have a check valve in it.
I was told never to use a filter with the check valve on a Opel motor by Tom and Tobbie at Opel Parts and Service, they claimed it would lower oil pressure.

I use AC/Delco PF53 or the L10028 Purolator come off the shelf at any Advanced Auto, and no check valve.

·
Über Genius
9,104 Posts
I just got a pair of Bosch 3330. Off the shelf, right by the parts counter.

I've never had a problem with those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts