Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my last batch received a limited number of 2.3TD Cranks, and 2.4L Rods and pistons here in the US.

My machine shop and I are building the prototype to use 2.4L rods and pistons along with the 2.3 Crank we imported as we speak.

They just finished the 2.7L prototype with Yamaha Pistons and BMW Rods.. and got it to fit into a 1.9L Block.. but it was a LOT of work. Bob makes it sound so simple ;)

I will provide the following:

2.3L TD Crank machined with proper bearings to match

Machined shim for your machine shop to shim the TD crank thrust bearing

2.4L Pistons checked for trueness and magnafluxed, and have new Rings installed.

2.4L Rods similarly checked and provided with a new set of rod bearings

ALL you will have to do is have your machine shop overbore your 1.9L block to 95mm and use a 2.0L Head gasket.

Thats it. NO Different than rebuilding your 1.9L to a 2.0L.

Now considering 2.0L Piston kits (With pins and rings) run about $500, a set of rod/main bearings cost $150 or so. Thats $650 in just parts for a 2.0L rebuild.

This pre-order run will only be $999 or about $399 more and includes the rods and a machined crank.

I have about 4 to 8 crank/rod/piston sets I can do with with. A lot depends on what comes out of the machine shop. Given the attrition of used parts at the shop. Best guess is I get 4.

Here is the deal.. the listed price is for the first 3 kits ONLY. As I plan on making a few of these as 2.5L kits ( If I have rods that pass but not pistons, which is usually the case) and I want to have a few spare cranks to make other possible projects with.

I am selling these kits at cost to help subsidize the work and also to be honest it helps thin the herd of parts I have and should bring down the overall cost of doing each of the cranks.

So if you were looking for an affordable way to get a 2.4L and you were looking to rebuild your motor at a local shop. This would be it.

PLEASE email me at [email protected] or call/text me at 1-804-503-0249 if you PM me here, it maybe a week or two till I get back with you as I dont come here often as I used too.

Facebook/email/work/etc...

Attachments

Reactions: Trevil

·
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think so too.. :)

I am trying to make Opel Soup out of some of the Opel Leftovers.

·
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got two them spoken for already.. any takers on the last one ?

·
Pedal Smasher
2,136 Posts
From what I understand, the engine hasn’t been created yet. This will be a first using the 2.3 crank method for Charles.

·
Opeler
343 Posts
AH ok.

The reason I ask is engines don’t like going over 0.5/0.6L displacement per cylinder, it makes the engine Labour.

·
Can Opeler
3,320 Posts
If you do a google search for “Opel gt 2.3L diesel crank” there are a few threads on here where people made 2.7L engines out of the 1900. There are some drivability discussions in those threads.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,136 Posts
Here's a bump for anyone wanting to increase their displacement but don't have the cash to buy a 2.4L. This is likely the only time you'll be able to buy the parts needed to do a large displacement 1.9L stroker and not have to figure it out yourself.

Yes, I am shamelessly promoting the needs of a friend of mine. :cool:

·
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.. :)

That said waiting on the outcome of the Pre-purchases to get a solid price. For the last 4.

Shop got backed up with "Dealership" work.. so waiting on them to get caught up to us.

Problem with a good machine shop.. while I am a "good" customer I don't keeps the lights on, the dealerships and customers that run quick easy, high profit stuff through them do.

My work is low profit, ad high effort. So... sometimes its frustrating..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Charles, Have you been able to get your machine shop to complete any of the conversions. The last time we spoke about the project was at the 50th in Vegas and you said you probably had an extra 1.9 for me rather than have me send one from NY. Due to being buried with personal responsibilities, I haven't followed up with you nor seen any updates on this thread. I'm currently in AZ and think this may be a great option for Mark Paar's Manta that my brother Doug bought and had at the 50th.

·
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I do have them almost ready. Trying to get final pricing and a crank bolt for you. Found out the crank bolts are longer and a little different.

Call me 804-503-0249 or email [email protected] I'm rarely on here recently due to work and such.

·
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also ended up piston steering these kits as well.. the 2.4L rod was just as "skinny" as the BMW Rod in the 2.7L.

Making the kits much more expensive to me than I expected.

Also given the rarity of the cranks, and the fact I have had a few interested in just buying the cranks. Looks like what limited cranks I will have to build with I will build my own motors with.

Then add to that the "off the shelf" pistons we were using ( Like everything else its seems ) is out of stock.

Finding the correct bearings for them isnt easy ( The bearing is wider and requires a shim to be placed in the block )

To really do this right would require custom pistons and custom rods. Which will save machining labor, but raise part costs. Then there is chasing the parts like the crank bolts and the thrust bearings.

Long story short, just not enough interest, to make this as a "Kit". Also some of the cranks are already spoken for in the crate.

I may build some more 2.6L motors when its all said and done. But, to be honest, its easier, less responsibility and no issues with any implied warranty, etc.. to at the end of the day just sell the cranks to someone that wants to do it themselves.

Also I don't lose money that way... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I spoke to Charles.... and it looks like it is still a go. Thanks Charles.
I repeated to him that I need it to be "Plug and Play" at my end since my expertise is no where near the rest of the experts on this site. With any luck I'll recruit my brother & Roy, maybe even Mike Meier or Cameron, If he's not travelling in his new Motor home, to help with the install.

Charles machine shop will do the work and then Charles will finish the assembly. I really don't want a machine shop here to learn on the engine when Charles shop and Charles are the one's that invented the thing. He recommended a big valve (chevy) 10 bolt head. I believe that is the head that and that it was on the 2.0 that my son and Harry from Brooklyn worked on for my Black GT and I somehow blew it up.

The plan is for Charles and his shop to build the engine ready for me to drop in, Painted and all.
I do have to get him the head and Oil pan. I'm still not sure if it will go into a GT or into Mark Paar's '75 Manta with the FI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts