Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Opeler
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd start this thread to share an exciting adventure that I'm about to take. I have a 1970 Opel GT that has a 2.2 motor in it that has been fully rebuilt (build details here) paired with twin DCOE 45 carbs and an automatic transmission. I have been fighting to get the car running "right" since the rebuild, which I have narrowed to timing/advance and carb tuning, found in this thread here. I have spent time reading the many threads discussing the need or process to modify the distributor, by changing springs, adding stops, weights, etc. It was all very confusing to me, and honestly too much trial and error to figure out what exactly my motor may need from a timing and advance perspective. So, I scoured the internet looking for something that I could use in my car to allow me to adjust the timing easily.

Well, I found something and I took the plunge....its the 123 Ignition System. I called the closest distributor (no pun intended) of 123 Ignition Systems, which is located in Ohio, website is 123 Ignition USA. I spoke with the owner and found out that he was the original distributor for the 123 Ignition Systems in the US. He came to be this after buying one of these modified distributors for his own car and loving it. Unfortunately, and not surprisingly, he (nor anyone else in the US) has a 123 Ignition distributor for our Opel CIH motors. He was nice enough to point me in the direction of somewhere that does though....the Netherlands! I contacted 123 Ignition Conversions and found them to have these systems for our Opels in stock...here's the proof!

I shipped a distributor over to them, to avoid a hefty (150.00 Euro) core charge fee and they work their magic to refurbish it and install their 123 Ignition System in it, which you can watch the process here. I just received word yesterday that they have mine completed and they shipped it out today. They have 3 different models you can choose from, but I purchased the 123 Ignition Tune+ Version that is a Bluetooth enabled ignition system that pairs to an app, which lets you change your advance curve for every RPM level. You can check out a video of it being demonstrated here on youtube.

I'm excited to receive this, install it and try it out. I will post about the results, but wanted to share an option that I found for those wanted to be able to have more control over their timing curves.

Stay tuned....(pun intended that time)

Eric

·
Can Opeler
3,320 Posts
I thought I'd start this thread to share an exciting adventure that I'm about to take. I have a 1970 Opel GT that has a 2.2 motor in it that has been fully rebuilt (build details here) paired with twin DCOE 45 carbs and an automatic transmission. I have been fighting to get the car running "right" since the rebuild, which I have narrowed to timing/advance and carb tuning, found in this thread here. I have spent time reading the many threads discussing the need or process to modify the distributor, by changing springs, adding stops, weights, etc. It was all very confusing to me, and honestly too much trial and error to figure out what exactly my motor may need from a timing and advance perspective. So, I scoured the internet looking for something that I could use in my car to allow me to adjust the timing easily.

Well, I found something and I took the plunge....its the 123 Ignition System. I called the closest distributor (no pun intended) of 123 Ignition Systems, which is located in Ohio, website is 123 Ignition USA. I spoke with the owner and found out that he was the original distributor for the 123 Ignition Systems in the US. He came to be this after buying one of these modified distributors for his own car and loving it. Unfortunately, and not surprisingly, he (nor anyone else in the US) has a 123 Ignition distributor for our Opel CIH motors. He was nice enough to point me in the direction of somewhere that does though....the Netherlands! I contacted 123 Ignition Conversions and found them to have these systems for our Opels in stock...here's the proof!

I shipped a distributor over to them, to avoid a hefty core charge fee and they work their magic to refurbish it and install their 123 Ignition System in it, which you can watch the process here. I just received word yesterday that they have mine completed and they shipped it out today. They have 3 different models you can choose from, but I purchased the 123 Ignition Tune+ Version that is a Bluetooth enabled ignition system that pairs to an app, which lets you change your advance curve for every RPM level. You can check out a video of it being demonstrated here on youtube.

I'm excited to receive this, install it and try it out. I will post about the results, but wanted to share an option that I found for those wanted to be able to have more control over their timing curves.

Stay tuned....(pun intended that time)

Eric
That’s exciting! I’m interested for sure. Unfortunately I’d have to take off my .32ohm coil and I’d lose multispark with their system. Might be worth it to have adequate advance on the low end with my carbs though.
Looks like their system has a lot less spark power than what I have now as it can’t take less than a 1 ohm coil. Again I do think that tune ability would make up for that relatively weaker spark though.

May I ask how much it cost you after sent in a distributor? Looks like the prices range from $500-$800 on their website for VWs. Hopefully the core charge takes away some of that.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
WOW! That's pretty cool! Digital tunability in an analog set up. I'm looking forward to seeing it work as advertised.

As far as getting your dual side draft set up working, I suggest contacting PJ Romano and exchange phone numbers and talk about getting it going. And Kyler can help you out also, even though he has a SSD set up. If you want, you can message and phone me.

·
RunOpel
1,246 Posts
That is exciting Eric, I will definitely be watching your progress :)

·
Opeler
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m really excited about it too. I’m guessing I’ll have it sometime in the next 2 weeks with international shipping.

As far as the coat goes, it isn’t cheap...the Euro to dollar conversion makes it worse.I choose the highest priced option, the Tune+ Bluetooth version. The base option buys has some advance curves preloaded, the laptop version has more and then this has one loaded but allows ton to tweak it in real time. When purchasing one if these systems, you also get a new cap, rotor and coil for the system. All in, it was roughy 700. I compared it to MSD & other types of programmable systems and to have this much functionality with something that is truly plug & play, it was worth it for me.

Hope that helps answer some questions. If any others come up, fire away, I’ll do my best to answer.

Eric

·
Opeler
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I was wrong about the unit getting shipped out on Friday. They apparently had power outages, so it was sent out today. I checked UPS tracking for the distributor this evening and they sent it 1-3 day international shipping, so as of now it looks like I’ll have it by Thursday!

·
Registered
767 Posts
You are going to love it. I'm doing the same thing. I first used a 123ignition on my Porsche and loved it. Next comes the Opel, then the rest of the fleet.

Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Opeler
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The unit is going to come with an Opel advance curve preloaded, however I have the ability to create my own curve....so I have a question for the experts....

What would be the advance curve you would want? Starting with initial timing, when advance should come in, what rate of advance and at what RPM to have the advance all in at?

I’m obviously interested in what it’s going to end up for my motor, but I’m curious how much the answers may change for the different size engines and if the carbs affect it for each too. (I know this sounds like a Gordo question!)

Eric

·
Opeler
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are going to love it. I'm doing the same thing. I first used a 123ignition on my Porsche and loved it. Next comes the Opel, then the rest of the fleet.
That’s great to hear! I have only spoken to 1 person that has used it in their cars, the US distributor guy, but I’ve watched a ton of YouTube reviews and they are all strong proponents of it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
That’s great to hear! I have only spoken to 1 person that has used it in their cars, the US distributor guy, but I’ve watched a ton of YouTube reviews and they are all strong proponents of it.
Extremely easy set up and install. Top Dead Center. Install, Rotate opposite direction until green light. Lock it down. Load curve. Then drive!

I noticed a slight dead spot off idle and slight stumble during decel to idle. Pulled into gas station, fuelled up. Adjusted curve slightly (little more advance off idle) on my cell phone and took off with all issues fixed. Love it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Do you think this might be useful on a non timing controlled, Holley Sniper EFI system, on a 2.4l?
Not sure. I don't have any vacuum advance on my system and just programmed in a timing curve recommended by my builder for the 2056 Porsche engine. All centrifugal advance. His recommendation for max advance at rpms was good but did not provide very good guidance for low rpm so I started with stock advance at idle and just inched it up a couple of degrees and then found it wanted a little more advance between idle and max advance. Easy and fun. Don't have a dyno so did it with multiple drives over a few days until all i needed was that last few degrees at mid range.

Reactions: guyopel

·
Opeler
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 123 Ignition Opel CIH distributor arrived Wednesday evening. I am in the process of cleaning and re-jetting the carbs, so it will be a few days before I hook everything up. The unit looks fantastic! It included a new cap, rotor and coil specifically designed for this unit. I’ve attached some pictures of everything below.

I can’t wait to get this hooked up and see how it works.

Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts