Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was possible to get 150 rwhp out of a 1.9L for an Opel GT. I currently own a 69 GT that already has a 5-speed installed and am trying to track down two other gts that were setting behind my friends house a couple of years back. Anyway I would like to build a motor to be able to pull around 150 at the rear wheels how would I go about doing this and what else should I beef up besides the engine and tranny and brakes.

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Anything is possible....just bring $$$$$$. I think you'd be stretching to get this power out of a naturally aspirated 1.9 for the street (about 170-175 hp at the flywheel...which would cost around $7500 to build and would not be very streetable. Keep in mins there are only about 5 or 6 racing Opels in the US with 1.9's that are this powerful). With a "power adder", this is very feasible, but will still get expensive. With a turbo, or supercharger, or nitrous, yes it can be done easily, but the engine must be built strong enough to hold up to the extra strains.

With a larger Opel engine (2.2 or 2.4), then it's not difficult at all to attain these hp levels and even higher, but the initial investment is higher, plus the engines still need to be modified to produce this kind of power.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So basically an engine swap to either a larger opel motor or another manufacturers engine would be more cost effective then trying to build the original 1.9L correct?

What would be the minimum I could get for a streetable motor and still stay within a reasonable budget say ($3000)?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
$3000 is not really a lot of money in the realm of engine building. It would cost you about $1500 - $1700 to completely rebuild a 1.9 Opel to stock specs (replacing everything that normally wears). And this does not include upgraded components such as larger carburetors, intakes, labor to port the head, exhaust systems, ignition system upgrades, cooling systems upgrades, etc.

Now, if you are a "do it yourself" type of person, you can build a fairly healthy engine for $2500-$3500, plus accessories (as mentioned above), and make a streetable 140-160 hp at the flywheel. This will be enough power to easily let you lose your license for many years. The factory speedometer will no longer seem optimistic.....

The factors that will ultimately make up that last 20 or so hp are the carburetor(s), exhaust system, cam choice, and head work. I would place the emphasis of power-making ability on the cam and headwork, as the intake and exhaust can always be changed out easily later as the budget allows. Head work does not usually affect driveability, but it is the most expensive item on an Opel to make power. The cam choice will affect durability and driveability for a street-driven car, and it must be chosen in conjunction with the head work. I suggest moderate valve lift for use with stock rocker arms, in conjunction with substantially increased duration. I've successfully used a profile patterned after the old Chevy 409 engine (.435" lift, 242 duration @ .050" compared to .385" lift for a stock Opel solid cam and 202/205 duration @ .050"), and it worked well for me for over 50k in a street driven and track-raced Opel. No broken rockers, no hard starting, no extreme wear on the valvetrain.

Bob

·
648 Posts
TGSI's turbo kit sounds like a good way to make almost that much HP. I'm dying for someone to install one and write us a review.
Another good place to start would be with a set of Venolia 11:1 pistons that I just happen to have for sale in the for sale section......:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would prefer to build the motor myself however I am lacking the tools to do so, unfortunately, but may be able to get help from a friend don't know, would be the first engine I have built.

I am going to wait until the original motor needs rebuilt before I go for more power however.

Also TGSI's turbo does sound rather interesting, but you would have to lower compression to use it and make sure you get enough air to it correct?

Thank You for your input.

any build up ideas are welcome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts