Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched, but can't find what I'm looking for. Basically in a nutshell will 16x8 wheels with +20 offset fit a stock GT.

I'm wanting to get XXR 531's. They come in the 16" or 15x8 with +20. Would the 15" be better?

I plan to put Dunlop Direzza DZ102 205/45 front and 225/45 rear in the 16's.
Does anybody see an issue with any of this. Many thanks!

Just Some Dude in Jersey
You probably won't have any problem with the rear tires, it's the front wheels that have a problem. There's aren't a lot of choices for tires that are 24" in diameter or less. You DO NOT want your front tires to "rub" the wheel arches at any point, even if they only "rub" at full turn. I put "rub" in quotes because some folks use that soft description to describe the utterly catastrophic damage that occurs to your fenders and tires if the wheel arch metal carves into your tires. Your wheels are an unstoppable force and will fold and twist the paper thin fender metal like crumpled up paper. And huge chunks of your tires will end up getting sliced off. The geometry of these cars was never designed for you to "fill your wheels wells". Doing so is fraught with peril and you'll end up blowing a whole bunch of money on wheels and tires that will make your car a PIA to drive.

That said, I think a few people have gone that wide on the front. Very few people. Most are stuck with a car with "rubbing" tires and they're not happy. But it can be done. I think member Heliman has very wide wheels on a stock GT. Contact him, or maybe he will chime in, for advice.

You could do an experiment in your driveway: Your stock car has 5.5" wide wheels of around +25ET, maybe it's +35. You want 8" rims of the same offset. That means that you will be making your wheels/tires 1.5" wider to the inside and 1.5" wider to the outside. So, take your wheels off and add 1.5" of spacers/washers/etc. and put your wheels back on and see if they hit the wheel arches when pointing straight. Then have someone turn the wheels from lock to lock and see how close they come to the arches. Now take into account that the wheels travel up and down and you might hit a dip or bump while turning and the wheels will go up.......I don't know....maybe 6" max. Will your tires hit the wheel wells?

If you're good, you're good. If not, you might have to consider more offset. Too much to the inside can also cause a hitting/rubbing problem.

We have hundreds of threads on the subject of wheels and tires on this site.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response, sir.
So.... After more reading and researching. I think I would be better off with a 0 offset in 16x8 for the rear.

So it would be 4" of backspacing and if need be I can use a 10-12mm spacers in rear.

I read somebody has +20 in the front with 5mm spacers. So I'm going to try that.

Search is terrible of here. I have the most luck with Google leading me to threads here.

Registered
I have the same size tires as you are talking about and love them & no rubbing.Could even go wider on the back if you want.. Looks and performs great. My car is lowered and I have 1/2 inch spacers in the front. As for offsets, I'm not sure . These are the rims OGTS used to sell. Be sure to upgrade your brakes.

Can Opeler

You鈥檒l be better off with 15鈥 wheels as Keith said. These are 15x8鈥 et0 they don鈥檛 rub at all and driving on them is great. I recommend getting no more than et0 wheels I recommended going as negative offset as you can with 15鈥 wheels though. I would have preferred -13mm offset. With 16鈥 you will probably hit the wheel arches with most available tires regardless of your offset.

I have 1鈥 lowering in the front and 1.5鈥 in the rear and 225-45-15 tires

Registered

You鈥檒l be better off with 15鈥 wheels as Keith said. These are 15x8鈥 et0 they don鈥檛 rub at all and driving on them is great. I recommend getting no more than et0 wheels I recommended going as negative offset as you can with 15鈥 wheels though. I would have preferred -13mm offset. With 16鈥 you will probably hit the wheel arches with most available tires regardless of your offset.

I have 1鈥 lowering in the front and 1.5鈥 in the rear and 225-45-15 tires
Looks really good!

Registered
This was written by John Seaman, and is very helpful for selecting tires wheels for the GT. I have 16" tires and rims, love them. Using the correct height for the tire and rims is included in John's works.
Sorry about the extra Scan Information, didn't look before I posted. Still has the information you need to make decision.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Cool! Thanks

I pulled the trigger on the +20 and +0 16x8 531's.
Got 205/45r16 and 225/45r16 Toyo Proxes R1R SL tires.
Picked up some 5mm & 10mm spacers. Just so I have them on hand. I will be sure to post results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts