Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I need hellp on instaling a 16v DOHC turbo eng. in my 1972 Opel gt . I know only (Die hard) Opelest have done this and it is not easy. I realy just need the cuting specs, and specs on the mounting bracets. please send info to internalharness"at"yahoo.com and hope to see you at the next opel event.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry
not really a reply , but are dohc 16v turbo engines stock out there?
If so what are they in?
average scrap yard cost?
are they readilyt available from scrap yards.
If so I might have to get someone to find me one and send it over here!!!!
I´m sure that anything will fit if you try hard enough.
In my experience you might be best getting the engine bay dimensions off donor car. If this is not an east-westFront wheel drive setup then using the gearbox/bellhsg area of the firewall/flor is a good starting point.
allow more room than you think. remember its your knuckles that are going to get smashed trying to reach that hard to get at bolt in the future.
Nave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
The 2.0 litre 16V turbo engine in reference here would be the Opel Calibra/Vectra turbo engine. It's rated @ 204 ps but can be easily chipped and upgraded to 275 ps or so. Normally, it is installed transversely with FWD or AWD transmission. In order to install into a GT, the Manta 1.8 Getrag transmission needs to be used. Drive-line life will be short however, the turbo engine has over 200 lb ft of torque, and the Getrag and standard Opel rear axle are too weak to sustain any hard driving.

These engines are NOT readily available here in the States, you can find them far easier in the UK and Europe. Price? I'd guess about 1500 - 2000 pounds sterling.

RallyBob

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
is the only place to get this mainly from overseas? and if thats the case i bet it would be a mint to ship it to the US?

the reason i ask is because im looking into options for my manta. the 1.9 i have is really slow and need to do something to beef it up. i was thinking of doing the 1.9 to 2.4 buildup with FI and possible turbo, but not sure which would be the best way to go.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Sohc - Dohc

From 1988 right through to 1994 some Chevy Sunbirds, Buick Skyhawks and Pontiac Firenzas used the 1998cc (2.0 litre) "Opel" motor in front wheel drive configuration. You still need a RWD bellhousing and gearbox plus a RWD oil pan to convert these to RWD. It may be worth investigating Chevy S10 four cylinder pickups to see if the same motor was used in some of them. LOts of the four cylinder motors used in GM vehicles over there are Isuzu derived rather than Opel and a re quite different. From the service manuals it is difficult to work out what is what - you may have to "eyeball" quite a few to sort out which motor is used.
Another motor to look at is the DOHC four used in some 1995 - 96 Chevy Cavaliers and Sunfires.
After that there is the newer four cylinder motors - one even supercharged!
The basic problem with them all is that unless they are used in S10 Pickups they will be in Front wheel drive configuration.
Once again, check out what four cylinder motors the S10s' used and their drive train.
THe Euro 2.0 and 2.2 litre FWD motors from Opel Asconas and later Vectras ( I think!) require the alloy oil pan and bellhousing/gearbox from a 1.8 litre SOHC Manta RWD to get fitted to early Opels and these are 1) in short supply as most of those Mantas had 2.0L CIH motors 2) There is a demand for them in the UK in particular - so when they do turn up on UK eBay the bidding goes pretty high.
Baz or MotorMouth may be able to help more in identifying the parts needed.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
call OGTS

Or you could just give Gil a call. We were discussing this very option at the picnic, and he has the entire 16V drivetrain: motor, tranny, modified oil pan, injection, wiring, and computer at his shop in CA. As of last weekend he had 3 entire drivetrains, and the price was less than I'm going to have into rebuilding my 2.2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello!
a c20let engine(dohc 16v turbo) cost about 20-25000NOK(about 3000-3800USD) here in norway. its maybe a litle bit cheaper in germany,but this engine is wery popular and that is why they are wery expencive.
if you go for the c20xe(doch 16v 150hp NA engine) its much cheaper(about1000-1700USD),and easy to do a turbo convertion to this engine and get more then 200hp for a wery low cost. just need a turbo,intercooler and a set of new injectors. i have done it several times.

it should be no problem putting this engine into a manta.
i have done it more then one time and putting this engines into manta/ascona a/b kadett c,GT etc is wery common here in norway.

·
Opeler
127 Posts
I have got the possibility to buy a 2.0L DOHC Turbo not too expensive....
I want to study the possibility of fitting this engine on my GT.
There are minimum two guys in Germany who made this job, I know for sure.
Do you know who they are?
How can we contact them?

Best regards

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
The easiest way

Obviously the easiest way to go is a CIH upgrade.......though saying a 2.4 upgrade easy is an under estimation of the highest magnitude as I now know.....my projects running but by no means finished.

To go the more modern way then the majority of Euro owners are going down the c20xe (16v) or C20LET(turbo) route, but both have their difficulties, the main one being fact that their normal configuration is 'east-west'. The 16v and LET engines are readily available over here, but there are other items needed and considerations to be accounted for, these are as follows:

Manta 1.8 OHC Bigwing sump, modified engine mounts, 1.8 Manta or Carlton gearbox, re-fabrication of the exhaust as it exits the block from the other side, modification to the bulkhead due to the dizzy (unless you can source a dizzyless ignition, this is available on some of the DOHC motors anyway), possibily modifications to inner wings if you go the LET route, the usual wiring issues for injection and the list probably goes on.

As stated earlier the drive train will suffer if you choose to go for the LET as the rear-axle wont cope. The Chairman of the UK GT Owners club is currently in the process of having a LET conversion carried out on one of his GT's and instead of sticking with the Opel axle he's going down the route of an E30 LSD axle, which is more than capable of handling the power.

Prices for a XE motor start over hear from about £500 and LET from £1000, but remember that's the engine only, you still have to source the other bits, a Bigwing sump can reach £150 over here at the moment so I'd bank on another £500 for the other parts required, assuming you make the engine mounts yourself.

Hope that helps a little......haven't been on-line for a while so I've probably waffled on a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts