Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
17x7 42mm (fwd) backspacing. 1.5" spacers all around too big, or should i go 1"/1.25"

Hey guys, i know this topic has been beat to death but i need a quick answer and havent found much solid stuff in the 30 threads i just read. Topic says it all, i need to let the guy know the size spacers he needs to build me asap. gt is lowered now and rubs the shackels on 13's.

Please repsond if you can help me at all

Thanks!!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Bit by Bite

Your 17" rims have a 7" bead to bead width - so the centre of the wheel is at 3 1/2" Now add the lip of the rim - say 1/2" that means with "zero" offset your backspace would be about 4" - say 102mm
A GT will fit up to 4 3/4" of backspace - say 120mm
But you have an "ET" of 42mm so the mounting surface is 42mm OUT from the centre of the wheel. Thus your backspace is 4" PLUS 42mm = 144mm
Your spacers need to be MINIMUM the difference between these two numbers - 144 - 120 = 24mm
So the MINIMUM spacer would be 24mm - about 1" so go for at least 1.25"
You have to balance "backspace" with getting the centre line of the rim somewhere near the centre line of the original wheels too - otherwise steering goes to hell!

·
Opeler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool. im going to have them made to be 1.50" thick. if they dont fit we can just mill them down another .25" Thanks for the informative reponse. I will snap some pics soon and give everyone an update.

·
Opeler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will do. here is a picture of the car right now. Its sitting on factory manta rims, 2.25" shackels in front, 1/2 coil cut in rear, shaved: mirrors, rear signals, door handles, the antenna was also welded/filled over. The car is slowly taking shape, im doign some custom fiberglass headlight buckets which arent done yet. But from what i've seen im going at this car in a different way than most, and I am excited to see the end result.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.