Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished reassembling an engine for my 73GT. The engine is a 69 or 70 version and had a blue painted head and no paint on the block. Does anyone know how the engines were painted in 1973. What color? Were the timing covers painted?

Any help appreciated.

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
All of the engines were painted black. The stock valve cover on the GT was not painted, just bare aluminum. The valve cover on all other opels(Mantas, Kadetts, 1900's) were stamped steel and painted black.

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
OK I can't read very well. When I took the timing cover off of my Manta and GT, they were painted black. I think this was stock because this was back in the late 70's and early 80's. We now have conflicting reports. Anyone else what to chime in?

·
137 Posts
I should qualify my previous statement reference to unpainted timing cover. My statement is based solely on personal knowledge/observation -- not on an official factory technical bulletin.

I have two 1973 GT's the timing covers were not/are not painted on either -- albeit, black grease covers most of one. I'm the second owner of one and the other, although I'm not the original owner, I bought the car when it was less than four months old -- I also saw the car when it at the dealer (Duke Buick, Augusta,
GA) when it was new and the timing cover was natural/unpainted aluminum.

Ken

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
I guess I learned something new. Cool!! That is what I love about this site:) :)

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
TIMING COVER

I can't vouch for the GT timing covers, but my 1975 Manta's timing cover WAS painted black. I'm the original owner so I'm certain of my particular valve cover. However, the GTs may have been different.

HTH
Paul

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
I can't vouch for the OEM paint jobs, but I'll say this: If you have bare metal anywhere, paint it with a good Hi-Temp paint. Nothing like a surface rust to ruin the looks of our little beauties!
:p

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
have to go against old hippie on this one
if its a gt its a cast ally cover and to paint it would be a crime as it would distroy the looks
ally will not rust (if not used for a while it will get a white oxide on it but this will clean off easy )
to keep it in tip top condition then use the maintenance engineers best tool an oily rag and give it a wipedown every once and a while
every day opels (no offence to those who love them) have a pressed steel cover which should be painted

just my two pennith worth (thats pennys spelt d from when we had Lsd as currency[pounds shillings and pence])

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
If you have to paint your GT valve cover, have it powder coated, if not, POLISH that sucker for ultimate look under the hood! :D

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
worked on a powder coating line for a while and always wonderd if i could hang the shell on it and get a good hard durable finnish
only trouble was we only did white or a dark gray with white speckels (made microwaves in the place)
did do an axel for some one and a block for myself

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
:eek: AGH! I stand corrected. Thanks baz, hadn't realized it was a alloy cast. I was only thinking of the cast block in my Dodge that I didn't paint (it had boo-koo surface rust after a month!). I'll have to remember that for my overhaul. Hmmm, maybe I'll rub some metal cleaner/etch in to stabilize the look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts