Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I was in disassembly of my Kadett and got to the trunk and the fuel tank. When I took it out it raddled like rocks were in it. I know that was a possibility because when I was a kid you put rocks in the tank of people you didn't like. Back to the story, I emptied out the tank of the noise and I found the below. A bunch of lead buttons/balls that were flat on one side and domed on the other with a letter "W" or "M" on them. Now they could have been a discontinued Lead flavored M&M's that went out with red dye #5 but I just don't know what they were used for.

I search the web and some say that back in the 60's some put lead sinkers in their tank when the gas gauge broke and when the the gas was low they would rattle. Others said was when unleaded fuel came out some put lead sinkers in their tank to "supplement" lead additive. The aluminum solid cylinders are a mystery to me too. Anyhow, let me know what you think.

eX

IMG_8830.jpg IMG_8831.jpg IMG_8829.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that you mention it, those aluminum cylenders do look like scale weights... must be on the gram scale as they are very light. Heh, maybe they came from a gas pump station. Since I was riding my big wheel in the 1960's I asked my dad who is up there in years and he said he didn't have an idea what "they" were thinking.

well, make for a good story. I even used images.google.com to see if google recognised the images and it didn't.:veryhappy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
WOW, Motaloy tablets! You're a genius. I did some other digging and I found another advertizement for these going back to 1954. https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth176108/m1/6/ . According to the advertizement this works for rings, valve jobs and all sorts of engine stuff. Crazy.

I found a condumer report article too that shows that it was a fraud back in 1954 and yet sold for decades later.

March 1954
Duped by Duke. Just drop four pill-sized metal tabs into your gas tank and get a ring and valve job while you drive, according to an ad for a product called Motaloy, endorsed by the screen legend John Wayne. What’s more, it cost just $6 (vs. $100 to have the job done in a garage). After three months of testing, we found that Motaloy didn’t improve acceleration or mileage, nor did it reduce oil consumption, improve engine compression, or dissolve carbon deposits.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-transportation-evolution-keeping-roads-rails-skyways-safe/

Mystery solved. Although she (the original oowner) had more than 4 in there so who knows,:veryhappy

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unbelievable. Still advertising those crappy tablets in 1972.

I find it odd that their illustration is an old flat head design.

That explains the tablets maybe. What about the aluminum cylinders?

I tore down a 1969 Corvette L-46 engine in 2012. It had never been apart. Main and rod bearings were all dated Sept. 69.

Found an ear ring in the oil pan. I am certain it had never been off. Guessing an engine assember lost an ear ring that day that engine was put together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts