Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the forum and have 2 kadett wagons right now. I am now in the begining steps of going through my 66 and customizing her to my needs/wants.

History on the car: I got this from a sale on ebay.. about 8 months ago, have driven it daily for abou 7 of those, until recently I heard some noise in the tranny. About 2 weeks ago, I pulled it into the garage and ripped out the motor and transmission.

A week ago I Hopped on Ebay and picked up the 1966 Opel Kadett service manual, Called Opel Parts source and ordered:
Motor Mounts
Transmition mount
New clutch cable
New Clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate
New tie rod ends
Valve cover gasket
Oil Pan Gasket

I called another old friend of mine to see if he had a good working trannie... he did, but wanted an arm and a leg for it. Nah...

Another guy had 2 good 1.1 trannies, so I have them coming to me in the mail in the next week or so. Once Its here I will be able to slap the motor back in the car.

Because I have A.D.D... Today, I have started to prep the motor bay for some paint. Took out all wires, wiper motor, heater cover/radiator, lights, front grill etc. I have also ordered some paint (engine bay) 20-40% gloss and that should arrive in a week or so.

About 6 years ago, my wife and I dated in one of these cars and it was a nice one. Had the 1900 engine in it, however it had been wrecked up a bit. I had to sell it so I could afford a honeymoon... I miss that car, but this one is in much better shape. Who ever painted this car last did a crappy job, there are dings all around it, even on the roof.... I know these arent really collector cars, but it could have been better. I am going to get the interior updated this fall/winter and in the spring will paint it red like my first one.

Enjoy the picks if they downloaded

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Mike;
The first Opel we had was a 72 version with 1.9 and auto. VERY fond memories of that car. Everyone one of my sisters and I took our driving test in that car. Don't sell yourself short just because of sentimental feelings, Opels are tough little cars. Our Kadett Wagon had the entire nose wiped off and replaced, the last thing that happened before it was retired was it was rolled 3 times, landed back up on all 4 wheels, STILL RUNNING!!! Did not break a single glass. had to peel the passenger fender off the front tire a bit, but, drove that thing for another 5-6 years without any problems!

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... got a little done today, peeled the grill and headlight assembly off. I really wanted to test out my sandblaster and compressor with some 60 grit dirt on the wagon.

Worked good... was able to blast for 8-10 minutes at a time.

Got the nose completely paint/rust free this way, then sanded with some 60 grit paper, then I think 110 grit before I poped the primer on it...

Here are 5 picks to start... more to come after dinner

Attachments

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last 2.

Basically, This is just a head start on what I need to complete in the next two weeks before I put the motor back in.

I still need to paint and blast inside motor bay... the black you see is just primer, but I will put Eastwood's Underhood paint in the bay.. but It will be a week before it gets here. I'd say 8 more hours in the bay and the motor is ready to be dropped in.

Last two picks for today.

Attachments

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol... who said I was selling myself short? I love the wagon... it gets good gas mileage... and yea it was a date car... Im in no way selling myself short. I just need a daily driver that suits my needs... and that is the opel wagon 1.1. As far as a real Truck.. or wagon, my 1964 fj45lv wagon will suffice once I convert it to a 4bt engine *diesel*. I will then still get 20mpg, and yet have a real truck... that can almost go anywhere. Dont worry, I am far from selling myself short. This will make a great commuter car, but my bj46lv will be the everywhere I want wagon :). It just has to wait...

BQS4 said:
Mike;
The first Opel we had was a 72 version with 1.9 and auto. VERY fond memories of that car. Everyone one of my sisters and I took our driving test in that car. Don't sell yourself short just because of sentimental feelings, Opels are tough little cars. Our Kadett Wagon had the entire nose wiped off and replaced, the last thing that happened before it was retired was it was rolled 3 times, landed back up on all 4 wheels, STILL RUNNING!!! Did not break a single glass. had to peel the passenger fender off the front tire a bit, but, drove that thing for another 5-6 years without any problems!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
'no-heater' pics

Mikesta said:
More pics
Thanks for the nice underhood, engineless and heater-removed pics . . . they'll help when I install A/C in my '69 Kadett LS.

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tekenaar said:
Thanks for the nice underhood, engineless and heater-removed pics . . . they'll help when I install A/C in my '69 Kadett LS.
Glad to be of service.

Here are a few more pics, draining the gas tank now so I can fix the float issue. Cleaned up under the hood... its ready for sandblasting and paint... Im still trying to think of where to end the black underhood paint? I'm thinking of taking it up to the fender drip rails... or I could take it right under the hood level... Ideas? what have other people done?

Went out to the back and went through some of my Opel parts... I have a 1900 loaded with parts... Literally, a spare hood and hatch are atatched to the top. I will be parting this car out... It has a racing cam... with instructions on how to install it... lol. Or maybe I'll slap a paint job on it and use it as a backup... bah... too many projects.

Attachments

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Tonight I recieved one of the 2 trannies I ordered. Immediatly cleaned it up for paint... sized it up with my old one and fixed a few things popped loose in shipping. Then I tore down and cleaned up the engine for painting and gaskets. There wasnt really alot of oil on the engine, but enough to want it gone and clean for a while. One of 2 of my head gaskets came in with OPEL OBEN on it... so its original nos stuff. Also got the stick shift (mine broke) and gaskets for oil pan and valve covers.

Need help on a few items

1. The valve's were a little loose... does this cause knock... because I had none

2. Is it hard to get the timing correct... that is one thing I'm not wanting to venture into... but because I know nothing about it.

3. Is there an air conditioning kit out there that I could slap in this beast? While its all torn apart... hell why not?

Thanks Opel Freeks.

Cheers
Mike

Enjoy the pics... 100+ more to come by the time step one of conditioning is done this fall.

Attachments

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Numbers for those who would like them. Any history buffs that can tell me what they mean?

I know I dont have the 60hp motor.. no S after the 11... but Thats cool... I need a gas mileage home depot/lowes commuter car *shrug* I think its the 54hp motor

cheers

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Yep!

That is the 54 HP motor - 11S is 60 HP and 11SR is 67 HP. The main difference is just compression ratio. The parts books seem to show that all the engines use the same camshaft with different pistons for the 11S & 11SR and a different head for the 11SR. If you can find a set of the higher compression 11S/11SR pistons you would go up to 8.8:1 CR and 60 HP with a useful increase in torque too - also better gas milage. The pistons were used in the GT 11SR motor too so may be available.
Try eBay # 4574486639 std. 75mm bore hi-comp pistons in Guatemala! I have ordered a set from there and was offered more sets - worth trying as there is good feedback. Will let you know if mine arrive!

The "17 M 65" shows that the block you have was cast in 1965 - the 17 M designates the day and month ( I would guess).

By saying "the valves were a little loose" do you mean in the valve guides or was it the valve clearance? Loose valve clearance would cause a "rattle" up in the top of the engine and not "knocking" - no great damage will be done as long as the clearance is reset to the correct specs.

The cam and distributor timing is far easier than with the CIH "Big Brother" engine! Have a look on eBay in the "Buy Now" Opel section and you should find a 1966-67 Opel Kadett "B" Service Manual - the one with a blue cover and white writing. That has all you need to know about the timing in it.
Try eBay #8000125272 or #7901029751

I will try and get some eBay item numbers for you next time I have troll through that on-line......

HTH!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Fuel sender fix . . .

Mikesta said:
Glad to be of service.

Here are a few more pics, draining the gas tank now so I can fix the float issue. Cleaned up under the hood... its ready for sandblasting and paint... Im still trying to think of where to end the black underhood paint? I'm thinking of taking it up to the fender drip rails... or I could take it right under the hood level... Ideas? what have other people done?

Went out to the back and went through some of my Opel parts... I have a 1900 loaded with parts... Literally, a spare hood and hatch are atatched to the top. I will be parting this car out... It has a racing cam... with instructions on how to install it... lol. Or maybe I'll slap a paint job on it and use it as a backup... bah... too many projects.
Clean contacts on sender, especially the ground contact! That's what my resolution was.

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GTJIM said:
The "17 M 65" shows that the block you have was cast in 1965 - the 17 M designates the day and month ( I would guess)....
HTH!
On one side of the engine, the needle point for the casting is still there.. the other sides have broken off... pretty cool seeing how they cast the motor.

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Flywheel Question

Got a little more done today... took a while, because I'm cleaning up the motor... degrease, sand, paint etc... Got the motor block painted, oil pan gasket degreased and painted and put back together, carbon scraped and blown out.. bottom half is done. Hope to have the trannie painted motor assembled and ready for planting next weekend.

I was looking at the flywheel today... wow its been used. Can anyone tell me if this is a normal size... I have a feeling I need to start looking for another one.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have a 1.1 liter engine at the hous and i think the step size in the flywheel was a bout the same size as that one.

·
Opeler
71 Posts
1.1 Engine

I am currently doing a rebuild on a 1.1.Make sure you put permatex (non hardening) goo on some of the bolts that go directly into the block(motor mount brackets,generator bracket,oilfilter housing ect.ect.Some of these holes go directly to the inside of engine where oil can seep through.Your flywheel looks normal.I would take a 40-60 grit sand paper to it to take the polish off of it and clean with brake parts cleaner or laquer thinner.Also your front crank seal can be changed by knocking out the outer ring(flip it over,support around the outside of ring,take a blunt drift or big screwdriver and place iton the inner wall of outside ring and hit it with a small hammer).It should pop out like a coin(dont hammer on the inside ring it is welded to the timing cover.If you need any advice email me.Jack!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts