Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had noticed this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&category=39405&sspagename=STRK:MEAWA:IT&rd=1

I think that there was some banter about on the Classicopels site. Now I see that one of our members, oldopelguy (aka Stephen V.) has the only bid in on it, at $99. Stephen, you are a true Opel collector. I think this car might be one of only TWO Opel Admirals in the U.S.

Hey, the ad says it is the "same" body as a Buick Special. It does look similar. Is that true? Does the missing rear window interchange with the Special? As I recall reading, it usually comes with a 327 V8, so perhaps it is just a re-badged Buick Special.

Stephen, when you buy this car, you will simply HAVE to post some photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
possible 6

I've been looking for one of the "big" Opels for quite a while now. The Admiral was also available with the CIH-6, so that might come through too. With all the $ I've had to spend on Kadetts lately to keep mine going, I priced myself right out of the Rekord I was hoping to get, but this Admiral will do nicely as well. Even better is that it's 45 minutes from my Dad's place and he's already agreed to go get it for me.
Of course there will be pictures if I win it.

Now I just need to figure out how to ship Kat's old Kadetts to SD.....

·
Super Moderator
14,870 Posts
I will graciously back out then Stephen, I was going to bid on that Admiral!
At least I know if you get it it will get driven!

Then again, since Admirals came with 283 and 327 Chevy engines (with Opel valve covers), I thought it would make a cool recipient for an all aluminum 426 smallblock.....as long as the proper valve covers are in place!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
engine

I can't even imagine an Opel where the $4000 or so I'll be spennding on my 175hp motor would have got me 800+hp. Crazy. Do you suppose it could even possibly have a manual transmission?

And you're very right about the valve covers. They've been going for $150+ on e-bay Germany as of late.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
that stinks

Some loser waited until the very end to drive the price through the roof. I hate "snipers." :mad:

Hopefully it'll be at my Dad's place next weekend, and I'll get some pictures after that.

·
Super Moderator
14,870 Posts
oldopelguy said:
I can't even imagine an Opel where the $4000 or so I'll be spennding on my 175hp motor would have got me 800+hp. Crazy. Do you suppose it could even possibly have a manual transmission?
Well, an all-aluminum SBC would set you back about $10G's.....block alone is over $4k!

As far as I remember, all the SBC 'big' Opels came with Powerglides....

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I know who the sniper was

Gary said:
esale_by_oec .... Wonder if that's an abbreviation of the Opel Enthusiaists Club?
So I just got off the phone with the sniper who tried to out-bid me on the Admiral. Small world, he called me back about fenders for my Kadett not knowing I was the other bidder....

Sometimes I wonder about just how small our little community really is.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Way To Go Stephen. Like you I hate snipers, but I see you did 'em in. Cool. Lessee, a 4-door BIG Opel that was/is a rebadged Buick, Buick had a 455 Stage I engine that was coupled to a T-10 4 speed.....HHMMMMM :D That staggers the imagination.

Ron

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
oldopelguy said:
Sometimes I wonder about just how small our little community really is.
As big as the World but as small as a village!

3.950 pepole on this site - maybe 10,000 to 12,000 active old Opel enthusiasts in the world?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
hmmm

So, after some research I should have done before hand, it looks like the Admiral came with the P-4ish 6 cylinder and the Diplomat came with the v-8. (ala Commodore vs. Rekord)

There is one more Admiral I know of for sure, sitting at one of the largest parts suppliers awaiting repairs. He is looking for spares, too. Might be a prime candidate for the engine swap forum. Maybe a turbo 3.8? Northstar v-8? Simple iron 350? We'll see.

Not 2 minutes ago I received an e-mail from a fellow Opeler in Hungary congratulating me on my purchase and offering me the rear window. Small, small world.

·
Administrator
10,376 Posts
oldopelguy said:
Not 2 minutes ago I received an e-mail from a fellow Opeler in Hungary congratulating me on my purchase and offering me the rear window. Small, small world.
Cool.
Stephen, I have a carbed 4.3 V6 W/ a T-5 laying around.....

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Standard Six!

Nah! Stay Standard.

250 cid Chevy Six with 292 'truck' crank. 283 Pistons. Corvette (V8) valves;
Trippple webers, Clifford extrators. 300HP and 320 lbs-ft of torque!!!!!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
i had a 250 6 in my old shortbox chevy, with a 3 on the tree behind it.....them little 250's last FOREVER!!!!. little beast had 250 thousand miles on it with 30 PSI oil pressure and 140 PSI compression, stock, never touched !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
shaft

The reason there were no pictures of the engine is that there isn't one, or transmission, or driveshaft, interior, or a host of other much needed parts. Every e-mail from the seller reveals another bad thing about the car. Nothing is the same as the "Buick Special" as in the add, and who knows what it's going to cost to get a window shipped from Europe?

But it does have the super-wierd DeDion rear end, for those of you who know what that is, and they are reported to handle very well. It also most likely came with the 2.4L CIH-6, so there might be some interesting engine possibilities out there in that vein as well. They body, however, was described as "pretty rusty" so even that isn't a shining light on the horizon.

Now I've pretty much decided on passing the car off to someone else and keeping my eyes open for something else. This one is probably too far gone for someone who'se looking at being an unemployed college student here soon to bite off. Such a shame, I've wanted one for so long, too.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
carb I/split E manifolds in pic #3

Looks like it had a straight six of CIH persuasion in it (2.8, 3.0?) by the look of the manifold combination in the 3rd picture. Looks a lot like my Bitter's exhaust manifolding, split? manifold with two pipes merging into one, right? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts

Originally the car was equipped with a 2.8 CIH inline-6 with a 4-speed manual transmission, but plans are in the works for a 4.3 V-6 and t-5 for at least the next little while. I have manifolds, carb, and transmission for the 2.8, but the long block is long gone and it'll take more time and $ to get replacements than I want to wait or spend before I get it drivable. Since the later Admirals were available with Chevy V-8s anyway, it's not too far removed to use the 4.3.

Once the car is driveable I'll procede with either the search for a 24V I-6 or some serious V-8 power based on how the car handles and availability of parts. I want this to be something I can drive to either coast and not worry about, which means either a newer Opel 6 or something I can fix anywhere. As long as I'm careful not to damage the car itself during the install, I can always go back to stock later if need be, but for now I want the car to be seen and appreciated driving around.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: 2.8 . . . Cih6

Are you saying that you don't trust a CIH6 for a cross-country drive or . . . ?
:confused:
Short refresher . . . bought my CIH6 powered car in NC and drove it back to TX. 6 mo later, in the heat of summer (Aug.), drove it from TX to CA and back for the OMC Picnic. :)

Though a purist at heart (as are you), completely understand your approach with the 4.3 and 5-speed though, ESPECIALLY since your CIH longblock is missing . . . definitely NOT easy to find here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.